Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calling all Brick Experts!

Posted by drewem (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 14:30

The new house just went to framing today. The front exterior will be all brick. ( I don't think it is anything special like sand faced or anything, just normal brick).

Obviously it is getting cold now, we are in SE Pennsylvania. Is there anything I should be looking out for with the brick install, or concerned with?

I will talk with our builder, but just wanted your expert opinions.

Would it be best to ask the builder to wait until Spring to apply the brick? (If that's the case, would the front be too exposed to the elements of winter?)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calling all Brick Experts!

What is the expected temperature range during brickwork?

o

That I am not sure of yet. Framing just started today, and from what I've seen, the other houses in the development framed very quickly. I just saw the weather for this coming week is in the 50's.

Is there a cut off temp?

o

Above 40 minor precautions, additional precautions down to 25, below that tenting and heating

o

I love it when people start worrying about the "cold" when it's 50 degrees F. outside!

My Mom kept our home 60 degrees F. in the winter.

I've had houses bricked in when it's -20 degrees F. Even had carpenters working in that weather!

See Brick Industry Association Technical Notes for cold weather requirements.

o

Thank you, Worthy! In addition to trying to decide if we should go brick or Hardie, due to recent posts here I've been so very concerned about the weather in Tennessee as well. To a Southern gal, 50 is pretty darn cold, btw! I'm glad I don't need to let our upcoming chilly weather influence our decision...

o

Thank you very much renovator8.

Honestly I did not even think about the brick until I read the recent brick posts (the sand ones, the plastic wrap under the bricks, etc etc) I think they were all by the same person. The post about tenting to fix something on the garage got me thinking. I think that person is more southern than my location.

This isn't our first build, but it is our first using brick. I assumed that it would be fine to brick year around. So thank you for the link Worthy! I will look into it.

o

We live in MN, and my husband plans to brick ours over the winter also. He'll just put up a shelter, so it stays pretty warm. Sucks to pay for the gas on it though!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here