Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oliver_hoffmann

Looking for feedback on plan please

Oliver Hoffmann
10 years ago

I have been lurking in these forums for a while and always appreciate the feedback on other's projects that the community here is giving.
Now my time is coming... please give me your feedback on the attached plan.

This will be a home for my family of four (2 young boys) + a place for my mother (behind the garage).
Hope you understand the plans as the descriptions are in French. Ask me if you don't get it.
I am mostly looking for feedback on the outside appearance, window proportions etc or anything else you might notice.
Thanks!

Comments (9)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

I find the fenestration mean and unconnected. It's as if the inhabitants are allergic to sunlight. Aso, the dimensions seem to be shrunk down, as if a much larger home was just placed on a copier at 80%. Some things do not appear to be code compliant, or good design practice. As an example, the secondary bath between the two bedrooms doesn't appear to have enough room allocated for the toilet or a double vanity. That would need 8', independent of the size of the tub. Although a galley kitchen is the most efficient type for the square footage needed, the one pictured is laid out inefficiently and will be awkward to work in. And an inordinate amount of space appears to be devoted to hallways that aren't at all necessary.

Overall, you can do much better. Talk to some local architects.

• Oliver Hoffmann
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback live_wire_oak. I understand what you mean by unconnected fenestration. Mean, not so much... and where would you put more windows? The second image top is the south elevation, plenty of sunlight should come in there.
    The dimensions seem very generous to me... but that's probably because I have a European background, we're used to live in smaller spaces and some of this plan is huge to me.
    And how would you lay out the kitchen?
    Thanks again.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Two young boys, and as they get bigger, have lots of stuff when they come in the house. The laundry takes up the entire entry from the garage, will that be convenient?

The kids' bathroom would work better with one sink, giving more storage.

The upstairs bath doesn't have a door? Noise travels down the stairs, you might want a door for the commode.

Imagine arranging furniture in Grandmere's living room; I'm not sure I can imagine a convenient layout, especially if she watches TV or uses the computer.

Where is your dining space? In the family room? Or is it between the front door, garage door, kitchen, and family room? That would not be a good spot, too much traffic (in my house, that would mean there's always "stuff" on the table).

I like the top floor "aerie"! Like a treehouse :)

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I think the place I most would like a bigger window is the top floor bathroom, a window significant in presence to stack up over the front door below. Right now you have a clerestory window specced out over the vanity. My temptation would be to move the vanity to the right of the toilet, creating a nicer floor area in between toilet and shower and permitting a better window that will make the front of your home seem more open.

I also enlarged the two tiny windows a bit.

I also mind the off-center clerestory window between the two boys' bedrooms on the main floor -- it's not off-centre enough to look purposeful so it just looks kind of wrong. Perhaps the rightmost window should move more right, closer to the outside wall of the home, then the off-centre clerestory window will look more purposeful.

Something like this? Still not 100% right to my eyes.

• doodledog_gw
    10 years ago

You'll have a very difficult time when it comes to resale. The layout may be perfect for your family but its atypical. The entry is bigger than the kitchen, the bathroom opens right up to the living room, as do the bedrooms. If you're building in Quebec you'll need a coat closet at the entry (garage and front). What is the hall space to the left of the kitchen? Can it be incorporated into the kitchen? I'd reduce the size of the basement bathroom to make the walkout open area even bigger. The kitchens, aside from being small, aren't laid out properly - why a stand alone fridge in the inlaw suite? Your laundry area is not functional - you'll be tripping over laundry everytime you come in. Where is your storage space? I'd excavate the space under the inlaw suite for basement storage. To be blunt, I think your designer has done you a great disservice. I'd start over from scratch or purchase a ready made plan from one of the many Quebec firms that offer them.

• doodledog_gw
    10 years ago

You'll have a very difficult time when it comes to resale. The layout may be perfect for your family but its atypical. The entry is bigger than the kitchen, the bathroom opens right up to the living room, as do the bedrooms. If you're building in Quebec you'll need a coat closet at the entry (garage and front). What is the hall space to the left of the kitchen? Can it be incorporated into the kitchen? I'd reduce the size of the basement bathroom to make the walkout open area even bigger. The kitchens, aside from being small, aren't laid out properly - why a stand alone fridge in the inlaw suite? Your laundry area is not functional - you'll be tripping over laundry everytime you come in. Where is your storage space? I'd excavate the space under the inlaw suite for basement storage. To be blunt, I think your designer has done you a great disservice. I'd start over from scratch or purchase a ready made plan from one of the many Quebec firms that offer them.

• tulips33
    10 years ago

I have to agree with everyone else, nothing was done with any thought to how it'd look on the outside....The second story sticking up out of the middle doesn't look good and none of the windows look right. I agree with doodledog, your designer did you a disservice and it'd be a hard house to sell just looking at the outside. Good luck!! It took us forever to come up with plans but I think in the end we came up with something better :)

• Oliver Hoffmann
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. Actually I don't have a designer, pretty much this is just based on what I designed/wanted and some compromises made for budgetary reasons. I have rearranged some of the windows since and we don't build this to resell one day... I know you never know but resale is not something I am considering.
    Interior is still very flexible but we're set on at least 90% of the exterior.
    Will explain some of my choices later, just wanted to thank everybody for their feedback!

• Oliver Hoffmann
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I am finally getting around to answer some of the questions:

The laundry takes up the entire entry from the garage, will that be convenient? - We are not used to keeping laundry in the laundry room for very long and don't fold laundry in there. Based on what we have now this is big enough, sure bigger is always better but I have to keep everything on budget as well.

The kids' bathroom would work better with one sink, giving more storage. - actually there will be only one 30" wide sink, not a double vanity.

The upstairs bath doesn't have a door? Noise travels down the stairs, you might want a door for the commode. - interior walls are quite flexible, I might consider this.

Imagine arranging furniture in Grandmere's living room; I'm not sure I can imagine a convenient layout, especially if she watches TV or uses the computer. - she doesn't have TV and this is the way she wants it and who wants to argue with a mother :-)

Where is your dining space? In the family room? Or is it between the front door, garage door, kitchen, and family room? - in the family room between kitchen and patio door

I also mind the off-center clerestory window between the two boys' bedrooms on the main floor -- it's not off-centre enough to look purposeful so it just looks kind of wrong. - this has been fixed, the middle window is a bit larger and centered now.

The entry is bigger than the kitchen, the bathroom opens right up to the living room, as do the bedrooms. - I like a lerger entry, hate walking over each other when we come in and the kids love to play in the hall running around etc. There will be an open coat close along the stairs.

What is the hall space to the left of the kitchen? Can it be incorporated into the kitchen? - pantry

why a stand alone fridge in the inlaw suite? - again, mother wants it that way, no need to argue about it or trying to understand...

Where is your storage space? more than enough storage for our needs in basement & garage

I'd excavate the space under the inlaw suite for basement storage. - considered this but would put us over budget

I'd start over from scratch or purchase a ready made plan from one of the many Quebec firms that offer them.
    -some might dislike the style I chose but I hate most of the ready made plans

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Will keep you updated on the build when it starts next spring.