Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainbrella14

Hubby wants a 2-story, but I hate stairs...

Rainbrella14
10 years ago

I've read lots of posts on this topic, but reading is not helping me decide, so I thought I would throw this out there...

My husband and I (early 30s) are in the early stages of building our next home. Our dilemma: husband wants a 2-story master up, I would like a bungalow or possibly a 1.5 story with master on main level. Both would have unfinished basements. We have lived in everything except master on main level.

***We both feel the other's position is reasonable, making it even harder to come to a decision.***

Obviously, this basic decision affects everything (inc. land purchase), so we are stalled.

Husbands Point of View:

- He grew up in a 2-story (is accustomed to it). Feels safer sleeping "up".
- You get more bang (floor space) for your buck
- More energy efficient (cold climate)
- Stairs keep you healthy
- Easier to entertain adults while kids sleep, or sleep-in while the early risers are up
- Family sleeps together on one floor
- He can be loud on Friday nights in man-land in the basement
- Easier when the kids are little for night-wakings

My Point of View:

- Grew up in a split-entry and slept in the basement (I don't need to sleep "up")
- Dislike the "disconnect" between the main level and upper floors
- Dislike stairs
- Thinks husbands soundproofing benefits are overstated (no 2-level ceilings)
- I don't want to build a house for the occasional entertaining. I want to build a house for everyday living (my go-to argument)
- Harder to keep tidy (stuff always sits, needing to go up or down)
- I want to build a home for the long term. The kids aren't little for long (disability, old age, etc...)
- A bonus room above the garage would be a great man-land. We could soundproof it.
- I would consider the master down in the right layout... Unfortunately, I don't think two masters is an option for us.

Other considerations:

- We like small, quality and good design over quantity
- Dislike basements for everyday living space (prefer to keep unfinished).
- We are both "neat freaks" (to a fault).
- We both want 9-10' ceilings, and ideally a great room with vaulted ceilings
- We both prefer any stairs to be "split" (technical term?). I haven't looked into the costs or limitations.
- I work from home. Any layout needs a main floor den/office.

Budget:
Our budget offers us roughly 2000 sf bungalow, 2300 sf 1.5 story, or 2600 2-story, give or take. This is a unofficial guesstimate from talking to a few builders in our area. Or, we could buy a brand-new, 3000 sf 2-story today with mid-range finishes (not attractive to us).

Some internet plans we like (all require some layout modifications).

2-story #1

2-story #2:

Bungalow #1

Bungalow #2

Master down

I know I'm not asking any specific question and we just need to decide. But does anyone have any considerations we haven't thought of? Advice? Any experience? If anything, writing this down was a good exercise.

Thank you!

Comments (31)

• ace_
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

2 story w/ main flr master

big loft area upstairs

study/offc downstairs with french doors

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

All good points but more bang for your buck is certainly a consideration even when you are not trying for max size.

I work at home out of a second floor office and I go up and down the stairs many times in a day. I am 50 and it does not bother me at all. But eventually it might be a problem.

• jdez
    10 years ago

If it were me, I would make it into some kind of deal like....you get upstairs master, I get (insert a want here).

• jdez
    10 years ago

I like 2-story #1 and Bungalow #1. I like the Bungalow better because of the back porch.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

What is your usual way of resolving different wants?

In our case, DH really wanted bedroom and office on the ground floor and I preferred the upstairs. He "wins" on this since it is one of the few things about which he cares intensely. He really would rather not be bothered with most of the other house decisions. (We made our wedding decisions the same way.)

You are right that children grow up very quickly. Just a couple of years ago, I definitely would have felt more strongly about sleeping upstairs with the kids.

Good luck!

• jdez
    10 years ago

Same here Oaktown. DH doesn't seem to care about many details so when he voices an opinion at all, I know it's important to him.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

How long will you live in this house? If long term put master on the 1st floor. I never understood the need/want to have the kids bedrooms close by. Even without a monitor (which we had when kids were young) I would awaken to any child that needed attention. Our bedroom was upstairs and the kids down.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I think it totally comes down to wanting the bedrooms and main level to be connected or separate. If you like separation (which is what I hear your husband saying, and what I like too) then a Master-up 2-story makes sense. If you like connection, then a single story or master-down 1.5 story make sense.

As someone who agrees with your husband about the separation, if I were going to build a single story home, I would want it to be an L with a bedroom wing and a living space wing-- like having the "upstairs" of a two-story around the corner from the downstairs.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

Also, although I prefer 2 story houses, I HATE vacuuming stairs-- if you do get the 2-story house, I would totally make it contingent on your hubby always being the one to vacuum the stairs.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Break his ankle...then he'll see the wisdom of a main floor master!

Only kidding, but my broken ankle sure helped reinforce our decision to have one floor living...

I know people feel more secure upstairs, but I never have...I've seen too many movies where you're upstairs and creeping down the stairs in the dark, in the night, trying to figure out who/what is down there. Always creeped me out.

Most plans allow for the first floor bedrooms to be on one end of the house so the sound/privacy issue is not a problem. In our house the bedrooms are on one end and the public places on the other.

Also, a basement space is the most inexpensive sq ft available in a build. If you can build into the side of a hill so the lower level is walk out, you can gain very usable space. Our lower level looks nothing like a basement and it is extremely energy efficient.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

Stairs at least force people to use certain leg muscles (or parts of leg muscles) that you don't use much if you never have to climb stairs.

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

Wow Annie! Is that a guest bedroom in the basement? Definately reinforces me putting my boy in our walk out when we build!

In our house it works kind of like the other posters. Who wants it more? Does he really want his bedroom upstairs or just a more grand exterior feeling? I really wanted the one and a half story look and was trying to justify it over a one story. Come to find out, he liked the idea of two floors above the basement. He also wants our bedroom on the main floor so that if an intruder comes in, they have to deal with him first. Do you already have children? If not, you may find you spend more nights sleeping in the rocking chair in their room than your own (make sure it is comfy). Late night wakings are unavoidable, and no amount of stairs or lack of is going to make them seem like you are getting any sleep. It is just a stage, and a short one at that. Take that from a mom who hasn't slept through the night more than one year total in the last eight!
    Also, given that you are thinking you can build more square feet with a 1 1/2 story than a 1 story, you may find that you can get more of what you want with your kids rooms upstairs :)

• methoddesigns
    10 years ago

The only thing I would say is, whatever you decide I would go with a custom plan. If you are going to spend the time figuring out what you want and dealing with the stress and cost of building; get exactly what you want. Your home is your biggest investment and you shouldn't have to settle.

That being said, if you have the space on your lot for a one story, I would go for that. Just make sure you do split bedrooms. People think short term with having a baby near by, but when they get a little older, you don't want that. If you go two story, master on the first floor. Keep the kids and their mess upstairs. Downstairs is for the adults. Good luck and enjoy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Yes it is nostalgicfarm...though we call it the lower level or terrace level...not a basement. Best part is while we can heat or cool it, we typically don't...it maintains a temp of between 63 and 78 all year. And the glass is all southern exposure so on sunny days in winter we gain 4 degrees in temp just from the sun.

And pal, while stairs are great exercise when you can do them, when you can't they can be a real barrier. We still do stairs in our house to get to the lower level, but the beauty is, should we not be able to do it, we won't have to and we'll be able to stay in our home.

• Rainbrella14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow, thanks everyone for your thoughts! Some really good points here. I think our issue is trying to imagine what our preferences will be for a family which is not yet complete...

We have an 16 month old now (who by some miracle sleeps through the night). Hopefully there will be another baby soon. And a teeny tiny possibility of another.

Annie, I love your lower-level, it doesn't look basement-y at all! We are in a really cold climate, so basements are generally cold and dark all year round. We will likely rough in plumbing, add a woodstove and maybe epoxy the floor for a playspace and storage. Maybe in the future I will change my tune and finish it. Generally speaking, is there a significant cost increase (50%, double?) to a walk-out foundation?

Ace_tx: The idea of a "loft" scares me because it could either be the best thing in our house, or a giant waste of space... I do like that suggestion though.

My new wishlist is:

- 2-story with a master on main
    - kid bdrms up
    - stairs in the rear of the house, located close to master bdrm door
    - bonus room above garage (possibly separate access)

*possible loft area
    *possible 2nd laundry up

A search through some stock plans should help me visualize how this could flow. That said, we will definitely go custom. I have about 1000 other preferences...sigh.

Thanks!

• mrspete
    10 years ago

These are huge differences in opinion.

I suggest you back up and consider each room individually. Each of you list exactly what you would ideally want in that room, being very specific.

For example, for a master bedroom, I'd say moderate in size but space for a queen, windows on two walls, bookshelf-over-cabinet type storage with a window seat in between, walk-in closet, would like to have access to the back yard.

Once you've done that for all rooms, then consider just how they'd fit together and what's most practical for the two of you. Also, begin with the idea that you'll each get some of what you want . . . and some of what you don't want.

I'd also suggest that you list your rooms in terms of importance. For example, I'd rank the functional pantry and laundry room ahead of the guest room.

• Rainbrella14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good point, I see what you're saying. I seem to making contingency wishlists for each layout, instead of the "ideal" for each room. Eg. In a 2 story, I "require" a 2nd level laundry with window. I would sacrifice this in a 1-level where exterior wall space is limited.

Husband is back from a trip tonight, interesting discussions ahead.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

rainbrella-I am late to the party but we went through those same struggles - not so much that we disagreed but more like what will work best for our family and be what we want down the road. Our kids are 8 & 11 so quite a bit different than babies but I'm with debrak, I could hear my babies from a mile away! I actually had a monitor and shut it off because I had no idea how loud they are when they sleep with all of there baby noises. :) At that time we were in a ranch though. I shut the monitor off and swung the door partially closed.

FWIW, we ended up deciding on a 1.5 story. Main floor master and laundry, 2 bedrooms and a bath upstairs with a small open area for them to play/read or whatever. The stairs come out halfway between kitchen and master - so to the living room.

Neither of us grew up with a 2 story. So far I think we are going to really like it (still in framing stages) and hope it will live just as well when the boys are grown and on their own. Note: and will offer privacy if/when they come to visit or move back in which I hear is pretty likely at some point. ;)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

This is easy! He likes stairs, you don't...put the man cave upstairs, as you suggested. He gets to 'work out' on the way to have his favorite beverage...you don't have clutter on the stairs, waiting to take up.

If you prefer one story, then maybe have a playroom for the kids and his man cave (with a bathroom) upstairs. The main level could have the master, your office and at least two more bedrooms with two (maybe two and a half) baths. Will this fit in your space?

I don't like stairs either...and since my husband got sick with no warning...so glad we have one story living! Best of luck with your plan :)

• Rainbrella14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Autumn and Lavender, I agree with both of you... I'll post my updated floorplan in a new post

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

My wife and I are also building and are in our early 30's.

We wanted a 2 story for cost efficiency, but also because I really enjoy the view from the second story generally and our lot specifically is very scenic.

I hear the "accessibility" argument against stairs quite a bit, but I don't think it holds much water most of the time.

For us it isn't an issue because the house will be on 20+ acres with a .7 mile driveway. There is no way we or anyone else would want to live there if we are in a physical condition that makes stairs difficult.

That being said, I don't know too many older individuals who have trouble with stairs that still want to live in a 2500+ sqft house.

When you get the point that age makes it difficult for stairs, keeping up a large house will also be very difficult.

Typically at this point people move to smaller homes or assisted living regardless of whether their house has stairs.

Specific ailments or disease can make stairs difficult where keeping up with a large house isn't a problem, but this is not the norm.

Ultimately it should be just a matter of individual preference and not fear of stairs.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

LawPaw- We live on almost 80 acres and my husband got a rare form of neuropathy. He couldn't walk and was in the hospital and nursing homes for almost a year.

I did NOT want to move and took on the farm by myself. He is back home now, with a walker, and is getting better every day. That being said, he would not have been able to come home, if we had all the bedrooms upstairs.

He should make a complete recovery and be able to help out on the farm, by next summer. In the meantime...I'm feeding horses and doing the rest of the chores, on top of running a business.

It's easy to think....I'll never have a problem with stairs, but believe me, it can come out of nowhere. I would recommend everyone have at least one bedroom and a full bath (large enough to make handicap accessible, just in case) on their first floor. It's better than moving....especially if you love where you live! :)

• dabunch
    10 years ago

I like Bungalow #2.
    - I would add a full bath upstairs.
    -I would add a "Laundry shoot" upstairs.
    -the upstairs can be used now by your Husband and later by a teenager. My guess is that this setup would be the most expensive to build.

I've had a few homes built and I can tell you that no house is perfect. You always find something missing or wrong AFTER you move in. Your wants/needs change over the years. The way you function in your daily life is a very important consideration when you are building.

Getting hurt or getting a disease is almost a guarantee in life. When fifty hits, "Mother Nature" takes over, and body parts start giving out, no matter how thin, athletic, and healthy you are/were....

Random thoughts:
    -split stairs with a landing in between are a smart idea, no matter which plan you choose.
    -A bedroom with a full bath downstairs is ALWAYS a good idea, no matter what age your are.
    -Think of how you function in a house. Do you spend MOST of your time downstairs? Are you and/or your DH just daydreaming that you will be upstairs all the time, because you/he likes the idea of a two-story house?
    -If you go with a two story with all the bedrooms upstairs, do you want your laundry room up or down?...because once I bring the laundry down, I have to check, add softener, dry etc usually several times. If I had a large family living with me I would still have the laundry downstairs, but with a laundry shoot from the upstairs. When you're building you have that custom option.

Over the years, I've learned that I don't always live or function like others. Example: I've read a lot of forums when I designed my kitchen. After living in this house for 2 years, I just hated my double oven setup. I had to split the ovens, leaving a counter above each one.... When building, you have to consider your needs and wants, but also re-sale value. Rarely people want to live in a BIG house when they get much older. We will be downsizing in a few years, even though I love this house, and it has a MB on the first floor. It's great that you are asking for advice and hopefully will take your time to examine what is important to YOU in your new home.

• LawPaw
    10 years ago

My point wasn't that stairs aren't a barrier; they are. My point was that a large house is also a barrier to a good lifestyle when a person's mobility is limited.

I realize very well how resistant older people are to change, but in my experience they tend to adapt better than they think. My grandparents struggled to live in their ranch until an accident at their home nearly killed my grandmother. When they moved into assisted living it became apparent they would have benefited greatly from the move a few years earlier.

For the majority of floor plans I've seen here, the difference in mobility between a 1 and 2 story home are a couple of years at best. Again, rare disorders are an exception.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

It's not just disorders....it's skiing accidents, kids falling off bikes, out of trees, turning an ankle wearing high heels, tripping down the two or three stairs to the garage, falling off a dirt bike, etc. All these things can and do happen all the time...to people under 30.

My point, I love old-fashioned homes and Victorians and two story farmhouses are beautiful. But, just as I appreciate electricity and indoor plumbing, it makes sense to consider a den/guest room and a full bath, in any plan.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

Injuries happened when Victorian 2-story homes were new. If necessary, a person could spend a short period sleeping on the sofa and doing most of their bathing in the kitchen sink, struggling upstairs every couple days for something more complete. Lots of people who break an ankle or are otherwise temporarily disabled can manage to go up the stairs at bedtime, and then come back down in the morning. It's harder than not having to deal with stairs, but it is often possible.

It is nice to have a fully appointed guest suite on the main level, but we all have different needs and different priorities.

And ability/disability is so personal, it's hard to predict what future-disabled-me would want in a house. Did you know that some wheelchair users can take their wheelchair upstairs? And the same storage features that would be great for a person in a wheelchair could be really difficult for someone who can walk but has trouble bending over or lifting things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Taking a wheelchair upstairs.

• StairwayToKevin
    10 years ago

I think that maybe you should open up to a 2 story more. I like a lot of things in your point of view, but I think you are letting the stairs get in the way too much. I know you said you didn't like them, but why?
    I just did a remodel with my wife on our staircase because our one at the time did not fit the decor at all3. It was actually pretty fun to work on that project, and it looks great now. Consider getting a 2 story and remodeling. I just got all of my gear from Stair Supplies, I added a link to some of the staircases they have done so you can take a look.

Best of luck to you in whatever home decision you make! :D
    Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Stair examples

• cricket5050
    10 years ago

Lavender has some valid points.

It is not only older people who have issues with stairs. I broke my ankle a little over a year ago and 6 months later I broke my knee cap. I am not that old and very physically active. I actually broke my ankle hiking on top of a mountain.

Using crutches and a walker can be dangerous going up and down stairs.

My friend's brother is in his 40's and had his leg amputated due to diabetes. He cannot walk up the stairs to bed and all the bedrooms are on the second floor. He sleeps on the couch. They cannot sell the house because they are under water, which is another issue.

Nobody knows what the future holds and we all want to believe we will be healthy even as we get older.

I will never have a two story house.

• shannonaz
    10 years ago

I am another person that doesn't like stairs. Our first home was two-story and our vacation home is two-story so I have plenty of experience with both. I much prefer living in a one-story house. It may depend on climate and other factors but around here (and especially where we have our 2nd home) the only reason to build up is if you want more square footage on a small lot. If you have a big enough lot I don't totally understand the reason to build up. I've never heard of the second story feeling safer to sleep in but I can see that being the case if that is what you are used to. Maybe a lot comes down to that...what you are used to and have experienced...I have not enjoyed living in two-story homes.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

My twin pregnancy made stairs very difficult (everything was difficult, so stairs were just one more thing).

I dream of a retirement home on my Mom's lake lot, which isn't very big. I want room for kids and grandkids to visit, but easy for me and DH to manage. I envision a 2-story, with bedrooms upstairs, but most of the living space, including master and laundry, on one level.

Oh, and hardwood stairs are a lot easier to keep clean than carpet! Prettier, too.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath