Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angela12345_gw

Builder's Contract

angela12345
13 years ago

My builder has presented this first draft of a contract to me. I know there will be changes that do need to be made, I have spotted several already (the first that comes to mind is #5 should be tied to % of completion not just a monthly pmt. We may also want to add a guaranteed maximum price and a shared savings). I will be fine-toothing the contract tonight and over the weekend. I will also give it to our attorney to read over. But, I am calling upon the generous and knowledgeable Gardenweb members to put in their 2 cents worth !!

Also, if anyone else has a cost-plus contract that they used and would be willing to share with me, would you please contact me thru My Page above. I would like to compare as many different versions as I can possibly find to include the best parts of all and discover possible problems ahead of time. Thank you so much !!

(just FYI, I have already worked out the details of the bank account stuff with my banker. Builder will not be able to see or access any of my other accounts. He will not have any account holder rights on the account and I can remove his internet access at any time. We will maintain only $1 balance in the account except when we are transferring funds. Likewise, I cannot see or access any of his other accounts)

Cost of the Work Plus a Fixed Fee

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This Agreement entered into this ____ day of _________________, 2010 by Angela12345 : ) hereinafter referred to as OWNER, and My Builder, hereinafter referred to as CONTRACTOR.

For and in consideration of the mutual promises and covenants herein contained, the Owner and Contractor do hereby agree as follows:

1. The Contractor accepts the relationship of trust and confidence established between his company and the Owner by this agreement. He covenants with the Owner to furnish his best skill and judgment in furthering the interest of the Owner. Contractor shall build, construct, and erect for Owner the improvements shown and more fully described on final architectural plans and on proposal dated 10 September 2010, and which are hereby made a part of this Agreement by reference. Please note said proposal was based on preliminary plans provided by Owner. Information is subject to change once the final design and engineering are completed. Said improvements shall be constructed on property owned by the Owner located at My Street, My Town, NC 12345.

2. Builder warrants the improvements shall be built, constructed and erected in a good, workmanlike manner in accordance with the plans and specifications and all building materials shall be of such quality and nature as ordinarily pass in the course of business without objection. He agrees to furnish efficient business administration and supervision and to use his best efforts to furnish at all times an adequate supply of workers and materials.

3. Assuming all conditions precedent are satisfied, weather permitting and materials readily available, the work to be performed under this Agreement shall be substantially completed five months from date of piling installation. Substantially complete shall be defined as sufficient for the Owner to occupy the home. Occupancy will not be allowed until final contract payment has been received.

4. The Owner agrees to reimburse the Contractor for the direct "cost of the work" as defined in paragraph 6 below. Such reimbursement shall include the Contractor's fee stipulated in paragraph 5.

5. In consideration of the performance of the contract, the Owner agrees to pay the Contractor as compensation for his services a contractor's fee as follows: All costs incurred over total project length paid as per paragraph 11, including a fixed fee of $35,000.00. Said fixed fee of $35,000.00 shall be paid as $7,000.00 per month due on the 10th day of each month during the five month construction period. Final contractor fee of $7,000.00 will be paid as $3,500.00 due on the 10th day of the final month of construction with the balance of $3,500.00 due upon Owner sign-off.

6. The scope of work shall consist of the "categories of work" described on proposal dated 10 September 2010 for an estimated amount of $000,000.00 and attached hereto. The estimate amount is attached solely for the purpose of describing the category of work. The pricing estimate shall have no bearing on the cost of the work.

7. The term "cost of work" shall mean costs necessarily and reasonably incurred in the performance of the work and actually paid by the Contractor, including all costs incurred due to changes and extras not listed on the attached proposal.

8. The Contractor shall procure the necessary permits for the work of improvement. Owner shall pay the governmental fees and Contractor's charges for said permits.

9. The Contractor shall keep full and detailed accounts as may be necessary for proper financial management under this agreement. The Owner shall be afforded access to all the Contractor's records, books, correspondence, instructions, drawings, receipts, vouchers, memoranda, and similar data relating to this contract, and the Contractor shall preserve all such records for a period of three years after the final payment.

10.The Owner agrees to create a separate banking account through My Bank with said account linked via internet with Contractor's He uses my bank too : ) banking account for the sole purpose of making payments as described in paragraph 11. Owner agrees to transfer a down-payment of $5,000.00 into Contractor's My Bank account representing a deposit for initial costs upon execution of this contract.

11.The Contractor shall, during the course of work, deliver to the Owner a statement showing in complete detail all costs incurred by his company in the execution of this contract for the preceding period. Accompanying said statement shall be a copy of all back-up documentation including material procurement invoices, payrolls for all the labor and all receipted bills for which payment is due. The Owner shall review the statement and shall remit such amount within two days of the Owner's receipt of the statement to the Contractor via above described internet linked checking account. The final payment, constituting the unpaid balance of the cost of the work and the final contractor's fee, shall be paid by the Owner to the Contractor when the work has been completed and the contract fully performed. It shall be the responsibility of the Contractor to obtain from the subcontractors all waivers of lien and present said waivers of lien to the Owner prior to final payment to the Contractor.

12.The Contractor agrees to maintain worker's compensation, liability insurance, and builder's risk insurance in effect throughout the course of the work. Contractor does not provide flood insurance and such is the responsibility of the Owner.

13.The Contractor hereby agrees to hold the Owner harmless and to indemnify the Owner against any and all claims which may arise during the course of the work as a consequence of the negligent acts of deliberate omissions of the Contractor, its agents, or employees.

14.Upon receipt of certificate of occupancy from the My Town, Contractor shall participate with the Owner in a detailed inspection of the house to prepare a list of items to complete, which will be completed in a timely fashion (no more than 30 days from CO issuance). After completion of said list, final payment will be due. House cannot be occupied until final payment is made on contract.

15.Owner agrees to pay Contractor a penalty of 1 percent per month (APR 12%) on any delinquent monies due to Contractor according to paragraphs 5 and 11 above. In the event of default, Owner agrees to pay all costs of collection, including reasonable attorney fees, and Contractor is under no obligation to continue any work until payments by Owner to Contractor are current. In the event of non-payment and/or default by Owner, Contractor may recover any and all materials used or unused for replacement costs.

16.Owner agrees to furnish to Contractor any and all documents reasonably required by this Agreement and shall furnish a current survey of the premises showing setback lines, easements, right-of-way, and restrictive covenants affecting said premises.

17.If applicable, Owner agrees and understands that he/she shall pay for all lending institution inspection fees, origination fees, interest charges, legal expenses or other charges made by the lending institution in connection with obtaining financing for said improvements and that such fees are not to be charged against the sum to be paid by the lending institution. Said fees are not included in estimated proposal.

18.Owner and Contractor agree that should unknown physical conditions below the surface of the ground, of unusual nature, differing materially from those ordinarily encountered and generally recognized as inherent in the work of the character provided for in this Agreement be encountered, i.e. should Contractor discover rock, sand or any other unusual materials during excavation, the contract sum shall be equitably adjusted.

19.It is further understood and agreed that this Contract Agreement is binding upon the parties, their heirs, successors, administrators and assigns.

20.Workmanship from My Builder carries a one-year warranty from the date of the issuance of the Certificate of Occupancy (CO) on the home. The Contractor shall participate with the Owner in a detailed inspection of the house approximately ten months after the date of substantial completion of the work to prepare a list of items for the Contractor to complete prior to the expiration of the one year warranty.

This agreement is executed the day and year first written above.

Comments (11)

• macv
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

From a quick reading, I didn't see a Guaranteed Maximum Price so it would be difficult to add a Shared Savings.

Not surprisingly for a builder written contract there is no provision for the orderly termination of the contract. He's there for the duration.

We all know what costs are to be reimbursed but there should be a clause listing the costs not to be reimbursed like salaried home office employees, office expenses, etc. as well as a clause regarding discounts, rebates and refunds (they're yours not his).

The interest rate is leftover from the 80's.

The contract documents should be enumerated including the specifications rather than vaguely referenced by date.

There should be a clause regarding changes in the work.

Final payment should not occur until the contractor has delivered to the owner a complete release of liens or receipts covering in full the work.

There should be a section regarding correction of the work.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Agree about the interest rate - I think ours is 7 percent?? Definitely be sure that you get the advantage of all discounts, prompt payment rebates, etc.

I would be concerned about the very small retainage amount. 3500.00 isn't much and might not be enough for him to come back and finish the punch list items without disappearing.

I would also be concerned about the clause saying you can't occupy the house (even though certificate of occupancy has been issued) until final payment is made. We don't have anything like this in our contract (which is an AIA standard contract (105 maybe) with a GMP clause added).

• max_w
    13 years ago

I would suggest buying copies of standard AIA contracts online for a few dollars: See AIA 102 (2007) plus AIA 201 (2007) and/or AIA 105 (2007). These will give you some valuable ideas before you waste big dollars with an attorney. Attorney review will take a lot of time and money if you and the builder haven't to some sort of agreement ahead of time. Use the attorney to fine tune things, not to negotiate on your behalf. You might be surprised how reluctant builder is to alter his usual contract since these are mostly written to protecthis interests.

I my opinion, you must have mediation and arbitration agreement, with the loser paying costs if things go to arbitration.

Costly problems can arise when there are errors in the plans. The GC should take responsibility for reviewing plans sufficiently before starting to avoid problems from obvious errors and omissions.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

My builder originally submitted a102 to me. It is designed for large commercial projects like hospitals and includes many provisions you would not want to have to comply with. A105 is the best one for residential construction, cost of the work. We just added a guaranteed maximum price clause.

Please note that there will be some changes if you don't have an architect. Or even if you do, if your architect is not contracted for a construction management role (the contract is drafted so all requests for payment have to go through the architect, which is not the contract we have with our architect nor do we want to have to pay him to review bills and receipts).

There are other things you would likely want to change as well, but it is a good starting point. I honestly think you can work with the contract you were submitted - it is not terrible - with a few changes.

• macv
    13 years ago

The AIA makes two Owner-Contractor agreement forms for small projects (ie not a large commercial project) that include General Conditions.

A105 is for residential projects where the basis of compensation is a Fixed Price.

A107 is for limited scope projects with a Fixed Price but it can be modified to be based on Cost of the Work by adding AIA document Exhibit A.

The AIA used to make a limited scope Cost of the Work agreement called A117-1987 Edition but it is no longer for sale but I still use it when a contractor is unfamiliar with some of the more esoteric language of the newer AIA documents.

All AIA forms require crossing out references to an architect if one is not used to administrate the agreement. The agreements do assume that the owner has supplied the builder with a set of design documents. If the builder designs the building it is necessary to use a design-build contract. I have never used one of them because I an an architect.

• angela12345
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"The interest rate is leftover from the 80's." You are referring to #15 ? Are you saying its leftover from the 80' because he is asking for too high of a rate, or that whole paragraph needs to be removed ?

I'm at work right now so no time for a longer response yet, but will be back later tonight !!

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

You are right MacV. We made some modifications to the Contract Sum provision to reflect that we have a cost plus contract. We also added language to ensure that all rebates, contractor discounts, etc. inure to us.

• angela12345
    Original Author
    13 years ago

athensmom, how was your GMP worded ?

I found an example of A117-1987 online ... http://www.secinfo.com/dSxjr.u3m.c.htm
    I have not found an example of A105 or A107. Of course, I will pay for these if I decide to use them, but I do want to see an example of them first.
    And now I really really do need to get back to work !! LOL.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

We just found that so many of the other AIA contracts were obviously not designed for residential contracts and required things like the owner's auditor to review the contractors books before final payment is made, etc. This one appeared to have all the appropriate protections and was the easiest modified to meet our needs.

We did have to make a few additions and deletions though.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

One more thought about a Shared Savings clause. I might be concerned there would be some potential for abuse there. Theoretically, it would encourage the builder to save money along the way. However, it could also cause a builder to set an artificially high GMP so he would be ensured some shared savings bonus without working very hard. It might also encourage an unscrupulous builder to cut corners (use a cheaper electrician rather than the better but slightly more expensive one, etc.). This "always go cheaper" mentality could cause some problems down the road. We decided that we wanted to use the most reasonably priced but high quality supplier, rather than always going for the cheapest, and our builder has a few trades that he uses over and over because they are very price competitive, good, and show up on time.

Also, the GMP is necessarily inflated already, because there has to be some wiggle room if concrete prices go up, OSB goes up, roofing materials go up - you get the idea! It can also vary between suppliers. For example, when putting together his bid, our builder called two of his regular concrete suppliers. One was significantly less a yard than the other, which made a huge difference because we have a large foundation as well as a raised terrace and screened porch with masonry columns - so lots of concrete.

Just something to think about!