Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

I just have to share this~~

phoggie
11 years ago

This is my first day of lumber construction on my new home...and so many of you have followed my saga, but this is something that I would like to share with you.

As most of you know, I have waited on an Amish crew to build my house and they were not able to finish their last build as soon as expected, so my house is 2 months late getting started, but what I experienced today tells me that they were well worth the wait.

I am building across the street from my son, so his drive is a perfect viewing spot. Today they are laying the floor trusses....the noon whistle blew (yes, I am in a small town and this still happens here)....they went to the van to get their lunch boxes and lawn chairs...put them in a circle on my cement garage floor...removed their hats and bowed their heads in prayer before they started to eat. This was a very emotional experience for me and it sent chills down my spine. What a difference from the other construction crews that I have been around, who have a coffee cup in one hand and a cigarette in the other and a line of cuss words coming from their mouths.

Now I know I made the right decision to wait for these men to build my home....I feel my house will be blessed and it gives me peace knowing they are doing the work. Thanks for letting me express this moment with you....my friends on this building site.

Comments (21)

• kberrie1
    11 years ago

Wonderful! I have no doubt you will have an honest and blessed build!

• daisyblue
    11 years ago

Beautiful ~ thanks for sharing! How exciting for you that things are now moving along!

• dreambuilder
    11 years ago

Glad you shared--may you have many happy, blessed moments in your new home:)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Phoggie- I'm so happy to read that you're build is coming along so well! Being able to watch the project from your son's home must be such a treat. And your crew sounds like a wonderful group, who share your values and will hopefully help to bring a sense of peace to your new home :)

• DLM2000-GW
    11 years ago

It's not only nice that the crew did that but it's wonderful that you noticed, appreciate it and feel it's a sign of good things to come. Our perception can become reality and you will create a positive reality for your build with that open hearted approach. What a feel good moment and nice post to read!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    11 years ago

That's awesome and a really nice thing to see from your building crew.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Giving thanks is something I should do more often. Thank you for sharing.

• spagano
    11 years ago

Very touching. Thanks for sharing.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Wonderful post especially so close to Thanksgiving.

And it also warms my heart that you are building so close to your son. I would love to have my mom this close. He is very lucky.

• Beth Parsons
    11 years ago

How awesome! You've been blessed with positive energy and good karma to start this new chapter of your life.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all of your kind responses. My crew is so far, SO great!
    They started framing the afternoon of Nov.15 and floor trusses are down, sub-flooring down, side walls up and rooms are framed in...so now I can actually tell where the rooms are going to be. My family is coming down this week-end and I am so excited to show it to them! My front window in the LR is larger than I expected, so it is closer to the front entry than I would have liked, but I can live with it...might even be better anyway for light because it will be covered by a porch.

• Linda Gomez
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I agreed with redlover that this was a reason to be thankful...and perfect timing. No one is perfect, so you may find mistakes. But at least if they are seeking wisdom from their heavenly father, that is a great sign! What a blessing!

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My Amish crew have only been on my job for 8 days and I have a roof over my head....singles and windows to be delivered tomorrow! This crew does everything but cement work and laying carpet...they are licensed to do it all...so no subs to worry about, other than the two mentioned items.

When we were starting, I asked if we needed to write up a contract and contractor said, "I don't know why we need one...I trust you if you trust me."....so we are building cost plus 10%...and no contract. I just hope everything keeps going as it is right now.

I went up a couple days ago, he asked me if I minded that he made me a storm shelter...I was thrilled that he made me steps, complete with a handrail down into my crawlspace....which in that area is about 5 foot...and my grandkids love it!

• Susan
    11 years ago

i hope to build in northwestern vermont someday soon and hope like heck i can find a crew as wonderful sounding as yours is, i truly do.

• threeapples
    11 years ago

How wonderful!

• Houseofsticks
    11 years ago

Yes Phoggie, worthy of the wait:) Best wishes for the continued blessings of your build.

• noodlesportland
    11 years ago

Thanks!!! Wonderful and hope to read how you settle in.

• gaonmymind
    11 years ago

Wow Phoggie! Make sure you leave good feedback for them all over the internet. You positive review will bring them more business. This is a very blessed build indeed.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just went up to my house and sat down in one of the lawn chairs that was sitting in my Amish builder's circle in my kitchen and since it is a week-end, they were not there...and I just felt so at peace! It is a long way from being done, but I love it there....happy, happy, happy! I think that DH is looking down and giving me
    that wonderful smile that he had....life is good!

I was so scared at first taking on this project at my age after reading some of the problems some of you are having with your builds....but I feel so fortunate with everyone that I am working with on my house...hope everything continues that way.

• lazypup
    11 years ago

Quoting Phoggie's post:

"When we were starting, I asked if we needed to write up a contract and contractor said, "I don't know why we need one...I trust you if you trust me."....so we are building cost plus 10%...and no contract"

Boy does that bring back a fond childhood memory-

My Grandad was a dairy farmer & blacksmith in rural N.E. Ohio, and we were about 5 miles from a fairly large Amish Settlement. Although we had tractors on our farm, we also had 13 large Belgian Draft horses and we did most of our farming work in the same manner as the Amish, and we frequenly worked with the Amish.

Today the banks and state governments often require contracts but remembering back to my youth, the Amish would not sign a contract. There feeling was that if your memory is so poor that you have to take notes on what we agree to do, then they would just prefer not to work with you and honesty was never an issue, but then as Grandad was fond of saying, they don't worry about bankers or bean counters because they answer to a higher authority.

Now, while you witnessed them taking their hats off and saying a blessing before eating lunch, what you did not see or hear was the the conversation at lunch was the Elder supervisor was critiquing the mornings progress and what he expected everyone to do for the afternoon.

They hold a similar session as soon as they arrive on the job in the morning. First a moment of prayer, then they get their instructions from the boss.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, lazy pup, this remembering touched my heart. Isn't too bad and sad that all of us don't live to their standards?..what a wonderful world it would be! Thanks for sharing this with me...and explaining why we are working with no contract.....their contract is not with me, but to the "man upstairs".