Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topman_gw

Arriscraft Bricks

topman
11 years ago

Hello!

We are looking into the tumbled brick series from Arriscraft and they are definitely on the expensive side. Have any of the homeowners here used their product or specifically this series before that could share your experiences? If you have pictures to share as well that will be wonderful!

Comments (15)

• worthy
    11 years ago

I've used Arriscraft brick and stone on four houses. But none were the tumbled series bricks. All were excellent products.

Unlike other concrete bricks I've used, there were never any cracking problems with the Arriscraft.

I would have had concerns a few years back when they were a step away from bankruptcy. But they were acquired in 2007 by General Shale of Tennessee, a subsidiary of Wienerberger AG, the largest producer of bricks in the world.

Below is a home built in 1991 with a long-ago discontinued Arriscraft brick series.

Photo: Heather Joy Investments Ltd.

• worthy
    11 years ago

Arriscraft brick with Indiana limestone lintels and sills.

• topman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your photo! Their brick products are generally priced about 3 times more than others, does that sound like it's in that ball park from your previous experiences? Trying to decide if it's worth it going with them.

• worthy
    11 years ago

I'm out of date and out of country on Arriscraft.

Be sure that you are comparing sq. ft. costs, not per brick costs as there are a lot of variations among the best-selling six brick sizes.

• bcool
    11 years ago

We will be putting them on our house in a couple of weeks. I'll post photos.

• topman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No probem thanks worthy.

That will be great bcool! Which color of the tumbled series did you end up going with? Did you say the quote for your brick turn out to be the same as getting cheaper bricks and paint with antique white color?

• bcool
    11 years ago

We went with the Linen color. Arriscraft discontinued the Cotton color. Cotton was really, really white (almost chalk white). Linen has a bit more tan in it. Arriscraft told us Cotton was a bit unforgiving and that Linen is more versatile. Our cost was a little over $1 per brick, but, as Worthy stated, it is important to compare price per sq. ft.

We had a hard time finding a brick to be painted or stained. We wanted to make sure it had a good shape and texture. Nothing we liked had overruns, and we were looking at about $0.50 to $0.85 for a comparable size in the bricks we thought would work. We then priced out painting and staining. I think the staining or painting would have be a little cheaper, but it was close.

The lead time for brick from Arriscraft is longer than other brick companies. They're primarily a stone company and they don't make bricks everyday.

Ours will be delivered on Friday. I'll post photos.

• topman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can't wait to see your photos bcool. The brick rep gave us some samples of Arriscraft Linen the other day and I definitely love the look of it, just not sure how they will look on an actual house.

bcool/worthy, I have a question about comparing pricing of bricks per sq ft. Did you mean sq ft of the house (interior)? Can you explain that please? Thanks!

• bcool
    11 years ago

It is how many bricks are in a square foot. I think the Arriscraft bricks were 5.75 bricks per square foot. Other bricks take 4.80 bricks per square foot, some are 6.85 bricks per square foot, etc.

If one brick is $1 per brick and it takes 5.75 bricks per sq.ft. the price is $5.75 per sq.ft. Another brick might be only $0.85 per brick, but it might take 6.85 bricks per sq.ft. The cost of the second brick is actually $5.82 per sq.ft. That's why it is important to know how many bricks are needed per square foot when you get a per brick price.

And, of course, if you're painting or staining you will need to add the per square foot cost of that to the price. Then you can compare the cost of the Arriscraft to the cost of the painted brick.

Hope this helps.

• topman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you that is helpful,

• topman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bcool what state are you building in?

• bcool
    11 years ago

We're in Missouri. Too far from Georgia or Canada to get great prices on Arriscraft. About three years ago we did get a quote similar to the one you posted in your "white brick" thread, but we weren't ready then. (Thankfully. We ended up with a much better lot and a better design.)

• bcool
    11 years ago

Bricks on site. They will start going up next Monday (weather permitting).

• bcool
    11 years ago

Topman, we've started. The photo was taken with my phone, so it's not the best.

• topman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your photo bcool! Looking good. Hope your construction is going well.