Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary4070

Please review floor plan. Tough love critiques welcome:)

Mary4070
9 years ago

Hello,
I am re-posting my floorplan as I think I think the previous images where too difficult to view. Please let me know your thoughts as this is our first house and we could really use your help.

We are a family with three children 6, 10 & 13. 2 younger boys one older girl.

The Lot is downward sloping to the back so we are planning a walkout basement.

Thanks so much
Mary

Comments (6)

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second floor

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Walkout Basement

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

With a tuck-under garage, how will folks get to the front door? Where will guests park?

The garage is tiny. My garage is 22'x22', and we can barely fit a minivan and a Jeep in there. I would never go any smaller than that - and wish ours was at least 2 feet wider.

None of your bathrooms - even the huge master bath - have any storage space. Where will you put towels, TP, extra shampoo? And windows in the upstairs bathrooms would be nice too.

The laundry room looks pretty claustrophobic. I suggest blocking off those dimensions around your current washer and dryer to see if it is feasible for you.

The master closet isn't very functional - corners really aren't useful for hanging. I would add a pocket door from the closet to the hallway, so you don't have to carry laundry through the bedroom and bathroom to get to the closet.

Have you laid out furniture in the living room/breakfast room? I think you'll concentrate your time near the fireplace, and at the breakfast table - what do you see happening in between?

I know you've posted your kitchen in the Kitchens forum, so I won't address that.

Good luck!

• amoore1205
    9 years ago

We are building our first house and posted it earlier for review. You'll have to take a look at it if you get a chance :)

I like your foyer with the 2 closets on the sides for storage. I also like the flow of the living areas.

I don't see a pantry?

Upstairs is lacking closets/linnen space. This is something we are working on on our plan.

I totally agree with windows in the upstairs bathrooms.

Good luck!

• Mary4070
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback,
    Annkh, I agree the garage is narrow and will think about how to remedy. It may mean flipping the stairway so that I can widen the garage on the left. I cant make the right section any wider as I will lose the symmetry of a colonial because Im constrained on the sq footage max by zoning.
    I will definitely add some bathroom storage. I was hoping to use the closet at the top of the stairs but it may be too far from the bathroom.
    Agree with the tight laundry and will see if workable. Interesting idea on the door directly to the closet. I wonder if it will take away from the retreat feel or on the positive side maybe make it less claustrophobic. Is a hallway entry to a master closet something unusual or have you seen this before?
    As for the space between the breakfast room and the family room you have a good point. Im thinking of adding a wet bar to where the built in shelves are but would be open to ther ideas.
    amoore thanks for the feedback as well. Yes a pantry is a must and I will be adding one as well as linen closets. Adding windows to the bathrooms is also a good idea.

• quequeg
    9 years ago

I like the overall design and only have a few comments. I would try to reconfigure the entrance to the two bedrooms at the top of the stairs. Something doesn't look right there.
    I would leave the additional closet in the foyer. Those closets by the main door are very small and may not be enough.
    Also you may wish to have a dry bar in the family room to give additional use to that large space in between the fireplace and the breakfast table.
    best of luck!