Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stblgt_gw

floor plan review

stblgt
10 years ago

so we have the builder finishing up some final things before we finalize the plans. we probably won't start to build until the spring so we have some time to possibly tweek a few more things.

i'm hoping to get some opinions on our plan. it's just me and my other half (possibly one child in the future). this plan we modified quite a bit and it's around 1750 sq. ft. with 9' ceilings. I know it's a little small, but we love this plan and it will fit the lot nicely with enough room on both sides for us.

anyone see anything major that they don't like and would suggest changing? thanks all!

EDIT: this isn't EXACTLY drawn to scale, but most is. if there are any sizing questions I will try to answer them the best I can.

front elevation:

This post was edited by stblgt on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 13:30

Comments (20)

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

first floor layout:

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

second floor layout:

• beasty
    10 years ago

I'm not an expert, but I noticed that storage on the first floor looks thin. I would guess you will want more storage on the 1st floor than just 1 coat closet in the entry, especially if you may have children. I don't spy any great spot to put aside packages you might be sending back, or someplace to keep backpacks or strollers, etc., etc.

The elevation looks charming!

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the response!

we've worried about that, too (about closets). but when I was younger we had the one closet and it always did fine for only 3 of us (we would just remove jackets depending on the season and put them in an upstairs closet). with only two of us it will be just fine and with 3 we would have to do what my mother used to do with switching the coats.

we will have a full basement as well, so there is quite a bit of storage down there if we needed (we will have a finished and unfinished section for storage).

thanks!

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I agree that it's light on storage on the main level. Some space for coats near the family entrance, and a broom closet would make a big difference.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Cute house. Compact, would fit on a small lot. Plenty of privacy on the front side of the house. Nice windows. Overall, I like it. It's simple, affordable. Maybe not a forever house since the master bedroom is upstairs, but a nice house.

Things that'd concern me:

- The entryway is a bit tight. If you could insert a window on the wall to the left, the light would "open up" that entry AND would benefit the staircase.

- Great room and dining are nice. Not overly-spacious, but plenty big for a small family. I would consider built-ins on both sides of the fireplace.

- The kitchen is a practical layout, but I'd want a pantry. If you're not going to have a basement, the obvious spot is under the staircase.

- I agree that the closets aren't all that big, but with only three people in the house, it should be enough.

- I'd go with a stack-up washer/dryer so you'd have space for a small counter for folding in the laundry room. And some shelves above the counter, since your linen storage is skimpy.

- Be wary of building bedrooms above a garage. Since it isn't heated, you'll need to go with extra insulation in the floors, and people in those rooms will hear the garage door open/close.

- I'd consider re-doing the doorway into the master bedroom: Bring the bedroom door "forward" a bit, incorporating a bit more of the hallway for the master. Then have a small square "entry hall" into the master. To the right, the closet. To the left, the bedroom. Perhaps even the bath straight ahead. If you incorporate the bath into the little "entry hall", you'd eliminate doors in your bedroom, which helps with furniture placement.

• laurie236
    10 years ago

Hi, It's a very charming home. There are two things I would look at. The first is one that someone has mentioned already and that is the bedrooms over the garage. Separating the two from an air quality perspective can be very difficult. The second is to really look at energy conservation. If your walls were thicker you could fit in more insulation and if your doors and windows were of high quality (good R-value) it would make a difference. Air sealing of your home is also very important for energy conservation and the 2012 IBC now requires it. The small investment in energy conservation is one that will actually pay you back and result in a more comfortable and quiet home. Good Luck with your project!

This post was edited by laurie236 on Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 22:51

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the responses everyone!

we never thought of having sound proofing installed between the garage and upstairs bedrooms. we don't currently have a child, but if we do, it could be a problem because i leave for work at 6 a.m. also, the extra insulation in the floors is a thought, too.

i'm actually calling my builder later today about a few things and i will mention this to be put into the build.

• User
    10 years ago

The double height elevator shaft of a greatroom will feel cold. It's almost as tall as it is wide. That's very disproportionate. It will also be difficult to arrange furniture in due to the traffic patterns that must pass through it. There is NO storage in the downstairs. That's an especially important issue in the family transition space from exterior to interior. The kitchen will become the dumping ground, with the island covered with bills, backpacks, purses and jackets. I'd attempt to at least create some type of mud room/rear vestibule between the garage and kitchen space.

• Chadoe3
    10 years ago

I agree with MrsPete about incorporating more of the hallway into the master bedroom. The "foyer" in your closet seems like space that could be better used in the bedroom or bathroom.

Personally I'd also rethink the dual sinks in the MBR. I have dual sinks in my current bathroom yet we never seem to use the second sink. I'd love to have just one sink and more counter space!

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

I agree about the master bedroom door. The garage is going to be tight (even more so with the closet encroaching)

Maybe I would do this in the kitchen, I like the fridge close to the sink and easy to get to the ice/water

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ChrisStewart: thanks so much for that. I really do like that idea. never would have even thought of that! I even like the way you got rid of the "edge" of the wall right after the powder room on the right.

I love all these suggestions so far, but, the only thing i'm having a hard time picturing is what the master would look like with the bedroom door modification. i'm not sure where the entrance would be and how it would change the closet layout.

This post was edited by stblgt on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 13:54

• Chadoe3
    10 years ago

I was thinking something like this. Please excuse the bad paint shop job. :)
    I didn't actually mean for the closet door to show like a pocket door.

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

here is an idea

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow! thank you both so much! they both look much better. I just couldn't visualize how it was going to look with the walk-in. we will definitely change it to one of those two. I wasn't exactly pleased with the way we have it currently, but felt it would do for our needs. but this is why I came to this forum!

This post was edited by stblgt on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 18:42

• bpath
    10 years ago

What kind of flooring will you have downstairs? I don't see any place to keep a Swiffer, broom (unless you hang them on the basement stairwell wall) or vacuum?

Could you extend the entry all the way to the left? You could add an extra closet on the left, which would help define the living room, and, perhaps have room for a small chest.

You might be able to reduce costs a bit (to make up for enlarging the entry, perhaps!) as well as reduce the visual weight of the garage, allowing the front door to be more prominent and welcoming, by scooching Bedroom #2 back in line with Bedroom #1 and eliminating its mini-gable.

My child's bedroom was above the uninsulated garage in our last house. The noise wasn't an issue, but it was cold. Be sure to insulate the floor, and the garage if possible. When we got a new, insulated, and better-sealed garage door, things did improve. (My dad has a heater for his garage, keeps it about 40 degrees!)

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bpathome:

we will have hardwood on the 1st floor and tile in the powder room. we were planning on keeping the swiffer (or whichever similar item) tucked away in the coat closet. it isn't very large and should fit without interferring with anything. also, should be all we would need to clean downstairs (except when we bring the vacuum down for the area rugs...which only weights 10 lbs anyways.)

we've had similar thoughts on changing the entry way a few times. we actully did modify it some compared to the picture above, but, not too much to notice.

good to know that the noise wasn't an issue. we might go ahead and put some sound proofing there anyways. we're still waiting on the cost...which i hope isn't much.

thanks for your response!

• bpath
    10 years ago

I like Chadoe's master suite, but I don't like a door right at the top of the stair, especially if a baby/small child joins the household (imagining a child at the door in the night). Perhaps you could scoot the door in a foot or two. This would define more of an "entry" for the master. The new short wall on the left could have a chest or something on the other side.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Master bath /closet: I was thinking of something along the lines of what ChrisStewart drew -- small thing, but big improvement over the original.

Now I have another thought: Could you switch the master bath and the master closet? Putting the two bathroom side-by-side would save a bit in plumbing costs. The most walls that "contain water", the more you spend. And "water walls" must be thicker (and more costly) than plain interior walls.

• stblgt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

we're actually talking over the layout ChrisStewart drew up. I actually really like it and may change it to that!

having the WIC and master bath switched would be a great idea, but, we're pretty set on having the window facing the rear of the house instead of the side.

most of the house we were pretty happy with, however, the only place that drove us crazy was the master bed, bath, walk-in-closet area. that's why i'm so glad that a lot of the suggestions are focusing on that area.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH