Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Opinions on schlage vs. emtek vs. kwikset doorknobs

pps7
14 years ago

Hello everyone. I've searched the forum and there wasn't much on schlage hardware. I'm looking for a simple knob for my interior doors with a few levers.

I've chosen the Shlage plymouth style in an aged bronze finish. Looking for something that's a good value for the quality. Emtek seems very popular here, but for a passage door the price difference on lockhouse.com was $16 vs $52. The kwikset was a little cheaper than the schlage.

The emtek seems pretty expensive. I can do Emtek for exterior doors if the quality is superior. Opinions?

Here is a link that might be useful: doorknobs on lockhouse.com

Comments (20)

• creek_side
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know anything about Emtek. I would use Schlage over Kwikset any day. I really can't think of anything good to say about Kwikset, except their stuff is cheap.

• macv
    14 years ago

These brands are difficult to compare just as brands. If you want to use lever handles on cylindrical mechanisms you must pay attention to the quality of the model you are considering in order to avoid a sagging handle. Typical cylindrical set springs are not as reliable as the ones in mortise sets.

Black & Decker owns Kwikset, Baldwin and Price Pfister. These companies cover a wide range of mass marketed commercial and residential hardware of different qualities but I confess I don't understand their product lines except that Baldwin dropped a notch now that it is mass marketed through lumberyards but it still makes some great solid brass hardware. I have not been impressed with the Kwikset hardware I've seen in retail stores.

Assa Alba, a Swedish company, bought Emtek, a 3 decade old California specialty hardware company that used to make hardware for residential door companies and now makes mass marketed "decorative" residential hardware. The quality seems good and the styles are more dramatic. The fact that they don't offer more than one level of spring strength for lever handle cylindrical hardware concerns me.

Schlage is a huge hardware company owned by Ingersoll Rand which makes many different levels of security devices for every possible use.

Summary of Schlage door hardware:

F Series - basic light duty residential "builder grade" door hardware - not UL listed - found in almost every home center - residential quality door hardware in many styles and finishes. Most of the finishes have a lifetime warrantee now, and all of the mechanics are lifetime warranteed. The new "Accents" collection features some new front entry handleset, knob and lever styles with the added benefit of having concealed screws. The "Accents" style deadbolt is a low profile style, meaning it does not project far off the door giving it a cleaner, neater look. Lever handles may sag aver time.

A Series - The next step up the ladder. Similar in looks to the "F" series except with concealed mounting screws - incorporates a heavier duty commercial type "cylindrical" mechanism to better prevent lever sag. Knob and lever styles are limited in this series, and there are not as many finishes to select from.

Beyond the "F" and the "A" series are door locks that straddle the line between residential and commercial.

S Series UL listed, built to last a lifetime under medium to heavy duty office use - where heavy duty levers may not be required - for both light/medium commercial and multi-housing applications. Heat-treated steel locking components for extra strength. Two independent heavy duty torsion springs to prevent lever sagging.

AL Series - top quality door hardware built to last a lifetime under medium to heavy duty office use - utilizes the original A-Series cylindrical chassis with stylish lever designs supported by heavy duty spring cages

D Series (L Series for mortise) - heavy duty commercial hardware that can be used in residential applications as well.

• lsst
    14 years ago

I have Emtek for my front exterior doors and Schlage for the rest of the exterior doors.
    They can be keyed the same.
    I love my Emtek Handle sets.

• lsst
    14 years ago

I do not think kwikset can be keyed to Emtek.
    Make sure if you choose more than one brand, both can be keyed the same.

• trudymom
    14 years ago

I have Emtek throughout my house and love it.

• sue36
    14 years ago

We used Schlage as the temporary hardware during the built (so subs could have keys and we wouldn't have to re-key later). The Emtek was put on at the end. I don't know which grade of Schlage we had, but the Emtek is superior.

• david_cary
    14 years ago

My experience is relatively limited but Emtek is a far superior brand to Kwikset and Schlage. It is comparable to baldwin but baldwin has pretty traditional styling. Everytime I grab a schlage lever - I cringe. I've had schlage outside fade in 1 year - and it wasn't a good fading.

Best is to go to a showroom and feel for yourself.

• Don Runnels
    7 years ago

Emtek is cast or forged material and more of a custom designer type product with many mix and match options you can't get with Schlage or Kwikset. They do not have a limited lifetime warranty except for living finishes.

Schlage's products are wrought (hollow) knobs and Zinc Dichromate plated and finished levers. Schlage did have the finest cast and forged products sold but moved away from this market in the 1990's. Today Schlage is a pure Builder/ Big Box retail product but still top of line and quality for it product class and offers a very easy to use Life Time Warranty with a call to an 800 number or contact on line.

Kwikset is wrought or zinc also and is a more competitive product sold into the builders market and retail and its quality is reflective of the price. I'm not sure of the Kwikset warranty.

• 902 Juanita
    7 years ago

Emtek throughout, and I love it. Many styles to choose from. and a good, solid product.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    7 years ago

We've used both. Fewer problems with Schlage than Emtek, though.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Why are you spamming by bringing up every old thread regarding door knobs? This thread is 8 years old! I'm reporting you.

• JDS
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It was Don Runnels who resurrected the old thread unless someone deleted a post.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

It was Don Runnels and he did so on several different posts in different forums

• sprink1es
    7 years ago

Meh.

Just be careful if considering mixing brands. Schlage and KwikSet have different keyways and cannot be keyed alike. I think Emtek uses the same keyway as the residential Schlage cylinders though. I'd recommend just sticking to one brand, whatever you choose

• Jp Montemayor
    3 years ago

I love the Schlage selection of electronic locks. Very extensive and easy to set up. I have all Emtek in another house and I did notice a much more “solid” high end feel to the hardware, but terrible options for modern electronic WiFi enabled locks.

• BJ
    3 years ago

What about the Emtek EMTouch using August technology for smart locks? Anyone use this yet?

• HU-283722104
    3 years ago

i sell doors and hardware. My opinion is, Must get a feel of all knobs of interest, before you go any farther. Then look at your purchase. Amortize your purchase, this long term or short term.

Then look at your budget, but you spent $20k to $100k on a remodel or over $500k plus to build a house and you decided to save money on your locksets? You spent $1,000 plus on an entry door and your going to put a $100.00 lock on it? really?

Our sales here are 90/95% Emtek. No one offers what they do. - Randy

• Andrea Weingard
    2 years ago

My emtek black matt knobs chipped and now they are gold...horrible.

• Andrea Weingard
    2 years ago

Does Baldwin chip?