Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on door hardware

Posted by BlackChamois (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 12:50

I am remodeling several rooms in my condo as well as painting the entire place - walls, ceilings, doors, trim. I would like to replace all the interior door hardware. I currently have a mix of antique brass and chrome (builder choice, not mine).

I was originally going to replace them with a brushed nickel, but I really like the dark hardware (as in this photo).

My question is this ... My finishes in the newly remodeled bathrooms are chrome. The cabinet hardware in the kitchen will be brushed nickel. I know that mixing finishes is okay if it complements the overall look, but I am wondering if the dark hardware will look funny? Or if based on my location (I am in a condo in So Cal (Orange County), if this will look out of place for the area that I am in?

Thank you!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on door hardware

I think if they all match and are an updated color, then it will be fine--even if they don't match all the other metal/finishes in other areas of the house.

And, because this is dark (iron? pewter?), it really isn't going to compete or draw attention to the fact you have chrome or satin here, and iron there. People do that in kitchens, even. If all your doors are this dark hardware, you will be fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here