Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aa62579

Where to install smoke detectors/carbon monoxide detectors?

aa62579
12 years ago

GC is out. House is basically done. My parent's have taken over the rest of the work to be done or subbed out, but I noticed no smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors had been put in. I was thinking about putting smoke detectors in each bedroom, one in the main hall, closer to the kitchen, one in the great room where the ceiling is vaulted, and one in the guest hall. What about CO detectors? Do you get the dual kind or do you add these separately so you can use the kind that plugs in and doesn't use as much battery. What about their large master bath and laundry area? I don't want to suggest they overdo it, but I would rather they have too many than not enough.

They do use propane for cooking, furnace, dryer, and supplemental gas heaters in bathrooms.

Here is a basic floorplan that I was messing with trying to plan out the locations. (Green dots) The great room is vaulted along the line shown, all other ceilngs are 9'.

{{gwi:1512159}}

Comments (26)

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

While the NEC does not adress smoke detectors specifically, it does address anything electrical that is a part of the permanent wiring system. Many building codes do require permanently wired smoke detectors and I am amazed that some inspector has not previously addressed this on your build. Only the specific code for your area can answer your question. The people who write and enact the codes are often not the brightest nor the most sober. In fact, the NC Building Code Council goes out of state to a resort to deal with the codes. Jack Daniels, anyone? NC, state building code, requires hard-wired smoke detectors and the electrician does that work. NC permits them mounted on the wall near the ceiling. But some cities in NC have housing codes that require them on the ceiling only. Housing codes control houses that are already built. So in some parts of NC, one can build a house that meets the building code and pass inspection by the county building inspector. But that (new) house will not pass an inspection by the city housing inspector that may take place at a later date. Aren't governments wonderful?

• david_cary
    12 years ago

Also rental code (NC) requires CO detectors if there is any fossil fuel in the house (ie any house that isn't all electric). Otherwise there are no CO requirements in NC so I'm not sure about the last part of that last post.

I have an attached garage and NG range, furnace and fireplace with no CO detector in new construction. I know that if I rented, I would need a CO detector.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Any home with gas service of any kind should have a CO detector/alarm regardless of what the building code or any other law might require.

One of my clients almost died when an old chimney that was being used to vent a gas pool heater was closed off. The only thing that saved her was the flowers that wilted overnight.

• david_cary
    12 years ago

Well - any old home that has gas service.... Was that gas pool heater to code?

The number of CO poisonings in the US absent of fire is pretty low. You can't eliminate risk and generally code does a pretty good job of prioritizing risk. Code (ie law) does a terrible job with driving and cell phones but I digress....

Code should require child locks on all operable windows on 2nd floor or above well before CO detectors should be mandatory. I'd even venture to say that fire sprinklers should be required first despite the significant cost. But lives saved per dollar is probably better with fire sprinklers (and I know code is phasing it in).

• aa62579
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. I'd need to look again for certain, but I am almost positive there are no hard wired places for smoke detectors. (Yes, they are in an area where no inspections, no code enforced, etc.)

Bearing all that, it looks like in each bedroom and in each hallway outside the two sleeping areas is where the smoke detectors need to go, and they need a CO detector in each hallway.

Any recommendations for any battery powered smoke detectors or are they all about they same as long as you remember to change the batteries annually? What about the dual smoke/CO. I've heard the CO detectors go out more often.

**The GC was the electrician also. The build ended on a very sour note. Final payment has been made and he has signed the waiver and lien release. (I know that isn't the technical name for it, but I think people on here would know what I was referring to.) He would not be allowed back on the property. My husband and I are upset with him as well for certain things, but we do often socialize at the same place. If I trust myself not to yell at him for other things, I'll try to ask him if he hardwired any detectors in and if he didn't, why not. There are many things I wish I had known while this build was happening, but I am only finding out after the fact. Hindsight is 20/20. Now we must just move on and try to make sure we do everything we can to make the house safe and everything my parents deserve. Thankfully, aside from this, so far the only other issue is a missing shut off valve in one direction at the well, but my husband works in irrigation and installs those often so not a biggie to add later.

• aa62579
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Guess I should add onto my little aside and say that the build did not end badly due to quality of the builder's work. It was more of a personal issue and related to attitude and personality.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Actually, an older house might fare better in a CO situation than a new one--being that the new ones are buttoned up so tight. A couple years ago we had a horrible windstorm in our area and people lost power for a week + in December. Several people lost their lives to CO poisoning when they ran their generators too close to their house/garage. Since CO is undetectable except by detectors (or flowers), it would behoove everyone to have at least one where they sleep. Washington State law now requires it (not that it has made any of the inspector's lists in the house sales of friends I know who've moved in the past year).

• renovator8
    12 years ago

It is foolish to expect code compliant appliances or chimneys to protect your life. People make mistakes and mechanical systems fail. Only about 500 people each year in the USA die from CO poisoning but that shouldn't be a justification for not installing a CO detector.

• david_cary
    12 years ago

The vast majority of CO poisoning I'd suspect are from people doing foolish things - portable heaters or generators. Just like the majority of fire deaths (ie smoking). But hey - they are cheap. I'm not arguing against them ... I just think they are somewhat of a waste. The real issue is education. I'd have them in a rental.

Take old house issues out of the equation and fire and CO is mostly human error. Better to educate yourself rather than rely on a monitor.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

I'm not arguing against them ... I just think they are somewhat of a waste."

CO detectors are not a waste; they are an essential part of a safe home. Even the foolish deserve to live.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Only about 500 people each year in the USA die from CO poisoning but that shouldn't be a justification for not installing a CO detector."

It is called cost-benefit tradeoff.

It is the way rational people approach dangers.

"House is basically done."

It is a little late now since you need interconnecting wiring that ties the smoke detectors together.

If the detector in the basement goes off you may not hear it on the second floor, or at the other end of a large house.
    The interconnection allows every detector to alarm when ANY detector goes off.

Now if only the stupid companies could agree on a uniform standard for the interconnect signalling.
    It is very hard to get any information from may of them about what the signalling even is (voltages, levels, etc.).

• aa62579
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One level, slab construction, so no basement fire to worry about. Hopefully the house is small enough to hear other detectors if the wiring is not there.

I did not see the builder last night so didn't get a chance to ask him, but the next time I go to my parents house, I will look carefully in each bedroom.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"opefully the house is small enough to hear other detectors if the wiring is not there. "

Check with your AHJ.

This is the sort of thing that can stop a CO cold.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

If there are gas appliances in the house, the CO detectors should be located outside of each bedroom and near other habitable spaces rather than where the gas appliance is located.

• aa62579
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Build is located in an area that doesn't do permits or inspections. No COs here. No mortage or loans involved either.

• renovator8
    12 years ago

Does that means that there is no building code? In such jurisdictions fire safety regulations may be enforced by the state fire marshal or the local fire department.

• aa62579
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The only thing regulated is septic.

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

I am not convinced that one needs as many CO detectors as smoke detectors. CO does not build up so suddenly as can smoke. A local housing code for existing houses requires a smoke detector in every bedroom but only one CO detector for houses with fuel-burning equipment.

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

Smoke detectors need to be mounted high. Some codes specify the ceiling. But CO detectors are more effective mounted low. But in tenant occupancies with children, I mount them high. Tampering will occur if within reach.

• chrisk327
    12 years ago

I guess I'm surprised that anyone has them down as optional.

when I renovated my first house 7 years ago, we added them, didn't get an inspection of any kind, basically b/c A) they are code where I live, and B) it makes sense.

in my new remodel/build we may have gone a bit overkill, but did smokes in each bedroom, a seperate smoke and CO detector on both levels CO low, smoke high, a combo unit in the basement, and another in the attached garage per recommendation from a fire chief I know

• david_cary
    12 years ago

I've never actually seen one in residential construction so I'm guessing this is a regional thing. Makes more sense up north probably.

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

David - Effective 1 Jan 2011, CO detectors are required in new construction in NC.

2009 NC Residential Code
    R313 Carbon Monoxide Alarms. (090609 Item B-11)
    R313.1.1 Carbon monoxide alarms. In new construction, dwelling units shall be provided with an approved carbon monoxide alarm installed outside of each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedroom(s) as directed by the alarm manufacturer.

R313.1.2 Where required - existing dwellings. In existing dwellings, where interior alterations, repairs, fuel-fired appliance replacements, or additions requiring a permit occurs, or where one or more sleeping rooms are added or created, carbon monoxide alarms shall be provided in accordance with Section 313.1.1.

R313.1.3 Alarm requirements. The required carbon monoxide alarms shall be audible in all bedrooms over background noise levels with all intervening doors closed. Single station carbon monoxide alarms shall be listed as complying with UL 2034 and shall be installed in accordance with this code and the manufacturer's installation instructions.

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

Thank you for the NC code update. My house was built earlier. I have a condensing propane furnace in the basement with PVC flue exiting horizontally below the level of the habitable floors of the house. So I put one hardwired CO detector in the basement last year even though no code requires it. Better than nothing.

• david_cary
    12 years ago

Building now in NC - no CO detectors.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

"Effective 1 Jan 2011, CO detectors are required in new construction in NC".

California as well. Code or not, they simply are a good idea in most cases. Not required on our build as we permitted in'04, but we have them for peace of mind.