Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homeowner's insurance suggestions?

Posted by minneapolisite (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 12:15

We used to be in a condo, so our insurance was dealt with as part of our HOA dues. Now we aren't part of an HOA so we need to get our own insurance.

What insurance companies do you have good experience with?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homeowner's insurance suggestions?

Start with your auto insurer. Often there are discounts for "multiple accounts" meaning your auto and home.

o

Thanks! We got a quote from Geico (our auto insurer) and also Travelers (they have a discount for my husband's professional organization). Just want to make sure we have lots of options. :)

o

We had State Farm for ~6 years and never had any problems with them...in fact, they were outstanding. We had claims for hail damage, water loss (in the basement), a car accident, and a stolen car. It was a bad few years. In each case I can tell you they went way above and beyond my expectations. However the rates climbed way too high and we switched to American Family, which cut our premiums almost in half.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here