Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tabbaldwin

a dining room doorway question

tracey_b
14 years ago

In our last house, I was able to close off the dining room and living room via french doors. I ended up really liking that since those rooms were seldom used.

Here we are, about to build another house after our relocation. I was set to do that again (french doors), but the builder is trying to change my mind, saying it would "close off the DR too much".

You enter into the foyer from the front door, and the DR and "study" are on opposite sides of the foyer. The DR also has a doorway into the kitchen. I think the builder has in mind a wide opening (7-9') to the DR off the foyer. Do you think it would affect re-sale much if we put in french doors instead (and a glass-paned swing door--whatever they're called--to the kitchen)? We could always do sidelights on either side of the doors to make it seem even more open?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Tracey

Comments (14)

• macv
    14 years ago

It is common in older homes in New England to see French doors to a dining room off an entry way. However doors larger than 36" can be unmanageable and the panels should all be the same sise, not with small sidelights IMHO. Put in a 6 ft pair of French doors and enjoy it.

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

Will you be able to open the doors and have them out of the way when open?

• lsst
    14 years ago

I would do French doors.
    We have a large cased opening from the foyer to our DR but the staircase opens into the area. If it did not, I would have french doors.
    The door to our kitchen from the DR is a pocket door.

• jimandanne_mi
    14 years ago

The dining room in our new home opens off of the foyer. It has a double set of pocket doors in this location, as well as between the DR and the LR. We LOVE being able to close off this room occasionally.

Anne

• sweeby
    14 years ago

We also have double pocket doors off of our dining room and LOVE them. With nice quality doors and hardware, it's very attractive, as well as very practical.

• homey_bird
    14 years ago

I second alabamanicole. You can install them, close them off but important point is, when you open them, they need to get out of the way to give that open feel when you are trying to use formal DR.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ladies! I think you've given me the gentle nudge I needed to confidently say to builder (and hubby) that I won't regret "closing off the DR". Really, the only regret I think I'd have is if I don't fix it where the room can have closed doors.

Yes, the doors have space to be opened all the way. I like the idea of pocket doors, but wouldn't I need to do the same to the doors to the study (which I don't think hubby will go for)?

Tracey

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Me again..... Hubby is almost convinced about the pocket doors but would like to actually see some. Do any of you have pictures of your double pocket doors you could share? I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, dang it all :-) If'n it's not one thing, it's another.

Oh, BUT, when you open the french doors, you still have to sort of negotiate the door to get to the light switch. Hmm.....maybe a good place for a Clapper ;-)

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

I think the Clapper has to be plugged in. :) But a surface-mount wireless light switch might do the trick. They make wireless ceiling fan controllers; no reason you couldn't make a switch.

But personally I'd just build the wall to accommodate the switch instead.

I had a bathroom with out-swing double doors and a light switch on the outside wall. What a pain that was. As a result, I never used the overhead lights; I just walked in and turned on the vanity lights.

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

This house has pocket french doors with transoms on the study and dining room which open off the foyer :)

Here is a link that might be useful: North Cliffwood House

• creek_side
    14 years ago

Only eight and a half bathrooms. Cheapskates.

• tracey_b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooo, loved that tour. Hubby is convinced, so many thanks! The look of that pocket door with transom is exactly what we're looking for.

When I first mentioned "pocket door", he thought back to an old cheap one he remembers from my parent's old home that led to the laundry room. He had not seen an "upscale" one before.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure