Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

x-post wiring forum. Weird circuit issue.

palimpsest
9 years ago

In my 1965 house, which I am surprised has not burnt down a long time ago, we just found another odd wiring issue.

I am gut renovating two bathrooms and an adjoining bedroom at this time and when removing carpet and baseboard to prepare for framing a closet, we found wiring contemporary to the house (not later work) running on top of the floor below the baseboard and behind the tack strip for the carpet. It supplies an original outlet which is in a masonry wall, and it appeared to be pigtailed from another outlet on a different wall. (Like maybe they forgot to run wiring for a needed outlet during the original build).

Anyway, we were removing this wiring and there is no breaker that seems to supply this bedroom or the entire third floor of the house. There is now no power to one bedroom or the third floor of the house but there is no breaker tripped and shutting off the entire panel and each breaker individually seems to have no effect. There is no sub panel we can find and there is no breaker to a sub panel in any case.

The entire house is being rewired as we address each part of the house by a professional electrician but I wonder if anybody has any insight as to what's going on here?

I am to the point where I am wondering if this circuit is somehow connected to the house next door. There are four houses with common party walls in between that were all constructed together.

This may seem like a ridiculous suggestion but when I lived in a multi unit conversion before, there was an outlet in my Living Room that was not on Any circuit on my panel. It was on a circuit for building of for a different unit somehow.