Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior lighting...auto on and off

Posted by landngarage (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 11:16

I will have a dozen out door lights... nine of which I want to come on automatically at night (or at 6:30PM set time). I'd like a few to go off at around 11PM.... and a few to burn all night. What's a reasonably cost effective way to do this?

BTW ... A small day/night sensing device that went in between the bulb and the socket at a different house didn't last very long....Thanks for the help in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior lighting...auto on and off

The sort of light with a dedicated light sensor lasts a lot longer than one of those bulb adaptor things.

The others? Put them on a circuit with a timer.

o

Yes, wire exterior lights on a combined circuit with an adjustable mechanical or electronic timer. Good luck!

o

Thank you both!

o

See the link. I have used these tpes of timers for year to run outdoor lights. Easy to remove the switch and replace with the timer ... I've changed them out myself (a woman!).

Here is a link that might be useful: wired timers

o

Thank you Chispa!

o

Chispa, I like those. Can you install them into a regular decora style faceplate? (I have 1 switch in a 3 switch wall box that I'd like to do that with. I'd need it to be able to fit in the usual 3 switch cover plate).

o

Yep, fits perfectly in a rectangular decora hole. I have older toggle switches and I was able to order any combination of switch plates online. I used a 2+2, 2 toggle plus 2 decora cut-outs for timers. I did have to shuffle some of the switches around to put the ones that needed timers together, but it is a quick/easy thing to do. I'm no electrician! I was taught by my Dad how to change switches and chandeliers ... always switch off power before playing with electricity!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here