Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dacherie

Roof pitch and elevation

dacherie
9 years ago

In the photo, the first two images are of an 8/12 roof pitch. I had requested in the design not to see the second story room from the front, which the designer did beautifully and I really liked. However my husband after attempting to walk on an 8/12 roof and the builder's information that a 6/12 is the highest walkable roof for safety, I compromised to the 6/12 roof, viewed in the next three images. Now the second story is visible from the front, which I think I'll can live with. I don't really like the side elevation (comparison in the last two images). Any suggestions for changes to front (windows, etc) or side for curb appeal?

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Nothing attached

• dacherie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second try

• snookers1999
    9 years ago

Just my opinion, but the 8/12 pitch looks better in my eyes, but there is nothing wrong with the 6/12 pitch either.

We are currently building a house and our main roof has a pitch of 8/12 and our garage has a 10/12 pitch. The framers finished the roof last week and the roofers started putting shingles on this week. I haven't heard either on of them complain about the pitch, although I know it's steep. They both walk all over the roof as if it was a flat floor. (I'm sure they should be using some sort of safety harness, but I guess it's their life they are risking.)

However, no mater how you look at it, a 6/12 pitch is definitely more safe than an 8/12 pitch. One thing to consider is how often will you be up on your roof vs. how often will you be looking at the front of your house wishing you had done the steeper roof?

• dacherie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

snookers1999 - your house is beautiful. I look forward to seeing more photos

Although I do like the look for the 8/12, I compromised with DH and went with the 6/12. We can now move forward with truss design. Will work with designer on elevation (window size, door, etc.) Any suggestions out there? Building with block in central Florida.

• dacherie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

snookers1999 - your house is beautiful. I look forward to seeing more photos

Although I do like the look for the 8/12, I compromised with DH and went with the 6/12. We can now move forward with truss design. Will work with designer on elevation (window size, door, etc.) Any suggestions out there? Building with block in central Florida.

• snookers1999
    9 years ago

dacherie - Thanks for the compliment!

I'm glad you made a decision about your roof. It's so nice to make a decision and move forward. I've learned in our build so far that you do have to compromise on some things. I think the most important thing here is that you included your husbands thoughts on things. I try to keep in mind that the house we are building is mine as well as my husbands and if we want to stay married during this build, both of us need to listen to each others opinions and try to work together to achieve something we will both be happy with. :)

I hope everything continues to go well for you and good luck with your build, I'm sure you will end up with a great house!

• renovator8
    9 years ago

You will never see your house in elevation. In reality your perception will be foreshortened and the higher pitch roof will appear much like the lower pitch roof does in the drawing.

You should not walk on your roof for for safety and wear issues and a roofer will have no trouble accessing the steeper roof for repair.

I would build what you think looks best although multi pyrimidal steep roofs with nothing on them have never been attractive to me.

• PRO
    Sydney Anchor Points
    3 years ago

How did the project go?