Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

Do you like wrought iron doors?

abekker
9 years ago

Do you like wrought iron front entry doors?

Comments (15)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Depends on the house. Are you speaking of actual wrought iron doors or doors that look like wrought iron? Or are you talking about decorative pcs of wrought iron attached to the exterior of another door material? Wrought iron if it were a true door would be very cold, and tough to weatherstrip properly and super expensive.

You really need to help us help you as you keep asking cryptic one word questions that almost always ask more questions.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Something like this where the wroght iron is attached to the glass behind it.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

So that would be decorative and attached to the door itself, not a wrought iron door.

• Lars
    9 years ago

It does depend on the architecture of the house, but the door you pictured is attractive. Many wrought iron doors look like security doors used in high crime areas, and so they are a bit off-putting in some situations. In more expensive neighborhoods, they still look like protection against burglary. If everyone has them (including the bars over the windows) and the architecture is Spanish, such as in Hancock Park in Los Angeles, they can be okay. That same architecture in Mexico City is called "California Style" and is popular in some of the upscale neighborhoods, like San Angel.

Lars

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh, thanks for clarifying. so what's your take on it? Also, I just checked out homedepot and they have these doors made of fiberglass, but they can be painted. Can they be stained? do you know by any chance?
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feather-River-Doors-Preston-Zinc-Craftsman-Primed-Smooth-Fiberglass-Double-Entry-Door-A42105-400/202959957

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it does look a little rough and not very inviting

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I like a bit of wrought iron on a door . . . but only if it ties into other parts of the house. For example, if you use wrought iron on the door, you should also use it on the staircase . . . and perhaps on the handrails leading to the door.

And, of course, it must be appropriate for the style of the house.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Personally I would never buy a Feather River door nor any type of millwork from a box store, if that is what your considering I would keep looking myself

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

after taking a second look i don't think it's appropriate for my house. how would you describe the look of a house that goes with the iron door?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

yes, I like them, and they are appropriate for many houses built in my area (Texas/New Mexico). We also have wonderful artisan fabricators out here. Expensive, but wonderful.

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

They are on lots of new tract homes around here. higher price point builders. Not my cup of tea but they are pretty mainstream and look nice. What's your exterior style?

• mrsb1227
    9 years ago

I love them as long as they go with the overall design of the home.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So when you say design and style, what exactly are you picturing? Honestly,I am not sure that I like all the swirls and the metal might be a little heavy looking. I think this kind of door probably fits a really big house, bigger than mine. My builder said for me to look at ThermaTru doors. Anyone used those? I found one that I like 81981p, I will have double 3x8, stained in a dark brown. Anyone have this door :)
    When I say I found one that I like, that means the one I like today and tomorrow I will be here asking everyone for advice on several other doors.

Thank you as always.

• Aims
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

From what I know you can stain a fiberglass door with a gel stain. I agree with the previous poster about how it can look good, but to have other elements that ties into it. Like maybe your entry light fixture could have that same iron finish or maybe the spindles on a stairway being iron.

• A Lleux
    9 years ago

You can stain fiberglass doors with a high-quality gel stain if it's a textured fiberglass door. All of our back exterior doors are textured fiberglass that we will stain. I love the wrought iron doors on the appropriate style home. They are popular here, but I feel like people often miss the mark on incorporating it with the right style home.