Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone use Fox Hollow Gray roof shingles?

Posted by coast2 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 07 at 10:59

In the Northeast where we live, most houses have dark roofs. We're considering using a light gray color from GAF called Fox Hollow Gray (in the Timberline series) and painting the house a very light gray (even lighter than the roof).

We're wondering whether this shingle color might appear so light as to be almost white--a look we don't want. So if anyone has used this color, what are your observations? Once installed does it look gray? White? Off white? Lighter or darker than you expected? Classy? Boring?

Photos appreciated, of course! Thanks to all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone use Fox Hollow Gray roof shingles?

looks like no one has used them, sorry

o

Roofing is tough because the samples you see at a supplier or from a roofing contractor often times will look different once applied to your build. The samples themselves are from a different lot than what is supplied and can have variations. If you, and im sure you've already been looking, drive around various neighborhoods, you might see a combination you like similar to what you want on your build. Might not be the same brand or shingle type, but ask for sample packs from your supplier and take them along with you and see if you can come close that way.

Here in the desert there are a lot of greys in shingled roofs with the theory that it reflects better than dark keeping the attics cooler. My experience roofing is that once the heat is transfered into the shingle themselves, color has little to do with it. Anyhow, i've never seen any grey tone that appear white but lighter colors appear when the shingle is more monotone, ( the same color granules throughout), compared to shingles that have various colored granules around the edging ,(usually darker highlights), around the perimeter of the tabs. The timberline series that you speak of generally have these highlights as they are a dimensional shingle and heightens the effect. You might also check out elk roofing similar to the timberline gaf for other grey options.

o

Did you end up installing the Fox Hollow Gray roof? I am also considering this color and I have the same concerns that you had.

o

Any reports on Fox Hollow Gray? I'm considering it as a way to keep my cape cooler in the summer but am worried it looks too light.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here