Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coast2

Anyone use Fox Hollow Gray roof shingles?

coast2
16 years ago

In the Northeast where we live, most houses have dark roofs. We're considering using a light gray color from GAF called Fox Hollow Gray (in the Timberline series) and painting the house a very light gray (even lighter than the roof).

We're wondering whether this shingle color might appear so light as to be almost white--a look we don't want. So if anyone has used this color, what are your observations? Once installed does it look gray? White? Off white? Lighter or darker than you expected? Classy? Boring?

Photos appreciated, of course! Thanks to all.

Comments (7)

• jea2007
    16 years ago

looks like no one has used them, sorry

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Roofing is tough because the samples you see at a supplier or from a roofing contractor often times will look different once applied to your build. The samples themselves are from a different lot than what is supplied and can have variations. If you, and im sure you've already been looking, drive around various neighborhoods, you might see a combination you like similar to what you want on your build. Might not be the same brand or shingle type, but ask for sample packs from your supplier and take them along with you and see if you can come close that way.

Here in the desert there are a lot of greys in shingled roofs with the theory that it reflects better than dark keeping the attics cooler. My experience roofing is that once the heat is transfered into the shingle themselves, color has little to do with it. Anyhow, i've never seen any grey tone that appear white but lighter colors appear when the shingle is more monotone, ( the same color granules throughout), compared to shingles that have various colored granules around the edging ,(usually darker highlights), around the perimeter of the tabs. The timberline series that you speak of generally have these highlights as they are a dimensional shingle and heightens the effect. You might also check out elk roofing similar to the timberline gaf for other grey options.

• Lisae75_aol_com
    12 years ago

Did you end up installing the Fox Hollow Gray roof? I am also considering this color and I have the same concerns that you had.

• Claudia23
    11 years ago

Any reports on Fox Hollow Gray? I'm considering it as a way to keep my cape cooler in the summer but am worried it looks too light.

• PRO
    Elease Nichole Construction
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just finished installing them on a roof. They do look off white not quite grey. And they show skuff marks way too easy. Hard to keep looking nice for long. I like pewter grey or something a little darker. Just my opinion

• HU-564686769
    3 years ago

If your gonna use gar fox hollow your better off going with froststone gray from iko dynasty it has a better gray detail and iko will back there warrantee a lot better than gaf I live in the North East northern NH in fact and a lot of people are complaining that gaf is not backing there warrantee I have a sample at my house an have had it about a month and the sample itself is falling apart where I've had the same sample for iko and it is still all together but if want more info call me Norm Perkins been in roofing business for almost 25 years phone number is 1-603-728-8398 call at your convenience always open to discussion on brands and color that fits what home owners are looking for and best for your money