Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of interior doors are best?

Posted by Melenie5 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 12 at 10:18

I'm trying to make a budget to determine what building my house is going to cost, where we can trim and what quality of materials to use. I'm going for a a traditional style, because I've always lived in older houses and like the way they look.

To keep costs down we'll be using vinyl flooring and laminate counter tops in the kitchen. There are some very nice products that will suit our style just fine.

I'm a little lost on what kind of doors to get though. The doors and all woodwork will be painted white.We're probably going with classic four panel doors and solid wood seem to be the best option, but can be expensive. So far I've only looked at doors at Lowes and the cheap doors looked, well cheap. The pine doors looked a little better and only cost about $100 each. I found some very nice looking doors at vintagedoors.com for a little over $500.

My questions are: What kind of door material is best? and
What is a reasonable price to pay for good quality doors?

Any advice would be so helpful. Pictures of your doors would be super!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of interior doors are best?

In a traditional house, paneled doors are very appropriate. They come in various materials, as you have discovered, but it's hard to beat the traditional appearance, feel and durability of traditional painted wood.

One option might be to look for recycled older doors at building salvage or other sources.

Good luck on your project!

o

I have looked at old doors as well but my question is are those going to have trouble being leveled? Will they not "shut" as properly as a new door or would a skilled carpenter be able to use a very old door in a new space?

o

Dreambuilder, your raise a good point. It is important to check to see if the used doors are plumb and in alignment.

That said, older doors may have paneling and detailing that is so unique and appealing that some flaws are acceptable.

After all, new and old wood doors are wood: they can expand and contract with mositure and temperature, just as can the frames and stops. Wood is wood!

A skilled finished carpenter can take a lot of the risk out of reusing older materials, but at the end of the day, houses are houses and they all move over time, humidity and temperature. I think that's a great thing!

o

That is a good idea virgilcarter. Thanks for suggesting older doors. I'll look around and see what I can find.

o

I would seriously consider MDF if you are painting them..

I used TruStile but they are spendy. On a stricter budget, I know there are high quality but cheaper MDF brands out there but I do not know the brands.

Anyone else know brands??

o

Our contract calls for 6 panel semi-solid Masonite interior doors. DH questioned the term "semi-solid" and was satisfied with response though I don't remember what the builder said.
I am wondering if it's worth spending $3500 more for 3 panel shaker style interior doors? It's a new build and we are having shaker style wainscoting in the foyer, dr and stair well. Also my kitchen cabinets are a shaker style.
How important is it from a design standpoint to have a cohesive look with the doors and wainscoting?

o

Our contract calls for 6 panel semi-solid Masonite interior doors. DH questioned the term "semi-solid" and was satisfied with response though I don't remember what the builder said.
I am wondering if it's worth spending $3500 more for 3 panel shaker style interior doors? It's a new build and we are having shaker style wainscoting in the foyer, dr and stair well. Also my kitchen cabinets are a shaker style.
How important is it from a design standpoint to have a cohesive look with the doors and wainscoting?

o

Laura517

I am sure by now you have long decided, but yes yes yes, interior doors should match overall theme.

am so curious as to what you chose! :-)

All,
I am looking at some solid pine doors from a big box store. am not sure if that is ok or i should keep looking.

the MDF idea sounds good -- makes me think i could build some... :-)
if the surround and jam are in good shape, that is...

so, pine, yay or nay?

o

There's a bit of marketing from the builder. Masonite interior doors come in either hollow core or Safe ‘N Sound solid core. No such thing as semi-solid.

I've been happy with Masonite solid core for passageways and hollow core for closets.

Recycled doors would be wonderful in a heritage style home. But finding a salvage dealer with enough doors in matching styles for an entire house would be very difficult.

For the market I build for, even a recycled mantle or surround would be looked at askance. I'll probably put one in my next home just to be different!

o

I think good quality doors add a lot to the feel of a house.

I'm always surprised that cheap hollow core doors with imprinted wood grain are so popular. If money is not super tight, I would go for the best door possible.

o

Actually Worthy the sold core masonite doors used to be made with the panels hollow and the stiles and rails were solid hardboard (masonite). Not certain if that is still the case but that was definitely the way they were made a few years back.

o

I don't know your age and overall perkiness, but we have regretted some of our "Shaker" decisions. The frames on the cabinets collect crumbs and dust like nothing we ever had before (raised panels). Our tall, plain baseboard requires extra work, too. Our doors are five-panel and fit right in with other Craftsman touches, but I notice that they are actually five slightly raised framed panels. They are collecting some dust, but nothing like the Shaker things we thought we had to have.

If you are young and energetic, or feel as I am beginning to that dust is provided to us as a protective coating, then ignore this comment.

o

sol[i]d core masonite doors used to be made with the panels hollow and the stiles and rails were solid hardboard (masonite).

You mentioned this before. But they've been sold as either hollow or solid core since at least 2005, when I started using them. (See link above for current offerings.)

Oddly enough, as discussed on another thread, the solid core doors really don't contribute much in the way of sound deadening. But they just feel so much better that you're convinced they must be making your home quieter too.

o

OK, then that would be new to me then as I have not been in the residential market with shop capabilities for those types of doors since 2004. I thought we had also discussed that prior and I am glad they have changed the those doors are made as it was certainly somewhat misleading.

o

OK, then that would be new to me then as I have not been in the residential market with shop capabilities for those types of doors since 2004. I thought we had also discussed that prior and I am glad they have changed the those doors are made as it was certainly somewhat misleading.

o

We did a condo remodel 6 years ago, and used 6-panel solid core doors. At Lowes/Home Depot the upcharge from hollow core doors was then about $20 per door, and WAY worth it! All were painted so we used MDF/woodgrain.

o

Painted MDF router cut from one piece ... 1.75 inch thick for sound if paneled. Not cheap.

I prefer Bolection but I don't know if the quality or price has changed since they were bought by Masonite. It's sad to see the small innovators cut down by the big corporations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here