Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dknipe

Carriage lights too big?

Sidney4
14 years ago

Even though we haven't broken ground yet, I found some great outdoor carriage lights on clearance that I hated to pass up so I went ahead and ordered them. They just arrived and they look huge! Since the house isn't built yet I can't judge if the lights will be out of proportion with the front and garage doors where I hope to place them. The dimensions for each light are 23"H x 13"W and extends out 16". I've searched everywhere on the internet and can't find any guidelines for scale of outdoor lighting.Has anyone else used carriage lights this big? Do you have pics you could share of garage doors or front doors that have carriage lights? If you could include the dimensions of those lights that would be most helpful.

Comments (10)

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    14 years ago

Those are gorgeous! I have to ask you where you got them b/c I'm searching for carriage house lights too. And so far, the ones I can find that I can afford are all either way too dinky for my garage or else are made so shoddy that they probably won't last a year. Those would be perfect!

Unless your garage is pretty small, I think the lights will probably look great there. Its harder to guess whether they would overwhelm your front door. Depends on how grand the entry is.

If you have a scaled elevation drawing (where 1/4 inch = 1 ft) you could make comparably scaled drawing of the light or use photoshop to resize the photo to the right dimension. Then cut out your drawing or the resized photo and lay it on top of your elevation drawing. Since the lamp is very slightly less than two feet tall and very slightly more than one foot wide, if you scale the image of the light so it is either 1/2 inch tall or 1/4 inch wide, it should be close enough to the right size to give you a good idea of whether it will fit on your house.

If you decide you don't want those lights, maybe I could take them off your hands. LOL!

• Sidney4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Bevangel, I fell in love with them to. I got them at Home Decorators Outlet. I think I got a pretty good deal too. I believe they still have some in stock but most items on that site sell out quickly so if you're interested you may want act soon. I had ordered a smaller version of the same light and they sold out before my order was processed so I took a chance on the next size up.

I don't have a scaled elevation but I can get one fairly easily. I will contact my builder.

I ordered 5 lights. If the lights don't work out I may take you up on your offer.

• lsst
    14 years ago

I have found it is always better to go bigger than what you think.
    My porch lights are about that size and from a distance, I could have gone bigger but they look fine.
    Here is a pic of the ones by the front door.{{gwi:1500457}}

• echo2400
    14 years ago

I have 3 28" Hinkley Pineapple lights on my garage with 2 9' doors and I love them. I have gotten a lot of compliments. I love yours they are smaller than mine. Go for it. If you look around you will find that most peoples look small.

• worthy
    14 years ago

Yep, this time bigger is better. I think too many lights are chosen by what they look like three or four feet away on the store wall. Or by builders, whose overriding criterion is "the cheaper the better."

The lights flanking the 8 foot door below are 25" high.

• Sidney4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You've all been very helpful. I love the entryways pictures. Worthy and lsst you have beautiful homes.

Sorry, Bevangel,it looks like I'm keeping my lights. Were you able to find the same lights at Home Decorators Outlet?

• stinkytiger
    14 years ago

Hi,

I think you will find they will be fine. Look at your architectural drawings to check the scale.

Our lights also looked huge. But when they were installed they look just great. Remember your house is BIG!!!

Also this similar weiredness also comes in choosing chimmney toppers. The pottery chimney tops that we chose ended up 3 feet tall and were "HUGE" when you stand next to them. However once installed, they looked perfect.

Again remember your house is BIG....

One final tip is for windows, if you have divided lights, go for the THICKER dividers and thicker trim bits. These again may seem coarse and brutish in their size. But once on the house they looked great and gave it a very solid looking feel.

Best, Mike.

• Sidney4
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the window trim, Mike. Are you referring to window grilles when you refer to dividers? If so, what width did you go with? I have already told our builder I wanted window trim "with some heft" but didn't offer anything specific.Any chance you might have pictures of your windows to share?

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Here's a great link that will help you determine what size your interior and exterior lights should be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighting sizing

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

I've been looking at a lot of fixtures, and this one has been in my favorites folder for quite awhile.

I still need to do the measuring to make sure it isn't too big, but it's really the one i'm leaning toward. The price isn't bad either. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: fixture