Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

it's finally time for me to ask this question- bringing treats

illinigirl
10 years ago

bringing treats to subs- what's the best approach for this? Did you bring for all the subs? I can see it's pretty easy once the framing is done to find a spot inside to put things, but what about the excavators, concrete guys, framers? When it's cold (freezing, snowing) outside? How often?

Tell me about your treats approach please!

Comments (12)

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

Around here subcontractors would not expect it so anything would be a bonus.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"Around here subcontractors would not expect it so anything would be a bonus."

Same here.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

does nobody bring goodies to their subs?

• heyo
    10 years ago

We plan to. Our friends did. Not sure of details yet since one month in weather is keeping us from even having a foundation. :( we do plan to provide some meals, grilled burgers and such, since we are in a rural area where they can't just go grab some lunch.

• jmagill_zn4
    10 years ago

Ask your GC first. Timing can be the key to keeping his workday running smooth.

All the workers appreciate treats but you never know how many may be working on a given day or if your arrival will give some worker an excuse to slow down or stop working when he is needed.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

good point about asking the GC, i will definitely do that!

• pbx2_gw
    10 years ago

We brought a case of Costco water in 12 oz bottles during our build & left it in a place where any1 can get it.

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

We did a cooler of water and soft drinks....for about the last 2 months of construction....my trim carpenters worked alot of saturdays so I brought them lunch a few times a month.

The water and drinks went a long way...and it was quite affordable if you watch the sales...I socked away ice from my ice maker in bags to keep up with the demand for ice for the cooler...keep in mind, I am in FL.

On the final 2 nights that the painters and trim guys worked and landscapers, I brought pizza...you can ask Papa John's for a rock bottom deal if you buy 10.

I felt like we did what we could afford and the trades were happy. Although the foundation, block, roofers didn't get anything..I felt like they were not here that long...a few days...whereas the trim guys were here for months....

Pam

• Carol.33
    10 years ago

We brought coffee and donuts out for the framers today. They really appreciated it!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Coffee and donuts here today also.

Beginning subs weren't around enough to catch. The framers are all day so dh did today and when they work again on Thursday I will bring something out.

I think having water/pop/sports drinks is a good idea and then maybe some munchies as I'm sure they take a couple of breaks during the day.

• joyce_6333
    10 years ago

Our builder is a neighbor, and we also know many of the guys who worked on the house...small town. Since much of our framing was done during the winter, we often brought out coffee, hot chocolate, brownies, etc. I frequently would go to McD's and have them fill up a bag, enough for the whole crew, and take it out during their break time. They all really appreciated it.

• GreenHighlighter
    10 years ago

I would just bring something whenever I remembered and had a chance. I only went out to our house once a week, so not more often than that. Sometimes once a week for a few weeks in a row. Sometimes we went a month without anything.

I'd bring donuts or bagels if in the morning. Fruit if we had gone by the farm and they had a bunch of something (peaches, persimmons, whatever). We dry fruit and make beef jerky, so I'll bring some of that if we just made some.

We buy lunch if we're particularly happy with them about something -- passed a major inspection, did an excellent job on something, did something we asked for that was out of the scope, etc.

Or if we hear it's someone's birthday or anniversary or something else special, we try to remember to bring something nice, like a bottle of wine if they drink or a cake or whatever.

They seem to really appreciate it, and it's something we enjoy doing. They definitely don't seem to expect it.

We bring it for whoever is working when we stop by. We usually know about how many guys will be there, and if there's extra, they can take it with them.