second picture next

Comments (19)

• jen11k
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Together...also think about the impact on the interior space and things like furniture arrangement and window treatments....

• jdez
    10 years ago

I like the windows apart. Not good for inside furniture placement but looks better on the outside.

• Chadoe3
    10 years ago

I like them better together, except for the 3 to the right of the door. Any way to put 2 of them together to keep the symmetry?

If those 3 need to stay apart, then I like it better if they're all apart. Otherwise it just looks .. off.

I am trying to cure myself of my need for symmetry though!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Individual windows is a style common to the Victorian era. Pairing windows is more common to early 20th century revival styles. Choose which one is appropriate for the overall design concept.

Avoid mulling nail-fin windows together since that is more common to modern developer/builder designs which are invariably poor adaptations of older styles IMO. The trim board between paired windows should be at least as wide as the other trim and preferably wider and should allow 2 or 3 studs between the windows.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

That's how the architect did our paired windows R8. That's what they look like on the outside. Inside pic.

I agree...nice look.

Jen, I like them together.

• stblgt
    10 years ago

i like them together. also, what i'd do is to have the room with the 3 windows (to the right of the front door) have only 2 windows as well.

• mrspete
    10 years ago

I like the windows together.

What I do not like about the above drawing, however, is that one room has windows apart, while the other have windows together. Whichever method you choose, be consistent.

• jen11k
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The windows apart are in the dining room on the wider side.. doing two windows together there would not be symmetrical inside. If I pick the Windows together do you think it is really off there under the covered porch?

• bpath
    10 years ago

I think the 3 separated looks fine, because it's under the porch so it's clearly a different space, and because it's beside the garage windows which are also separated. It lightens the formality a bit.

• jen11k
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, good idea - i think i will try for a different material under covered area to make it a different so the three separated windows will not stand out.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I like them better apart.

• maxcare
    10 years ago

I like them better together.

• nepool
    10 years ago

I like them better together.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I like them better apart. Makes for a unified flow with all the other single windows. I also think if you have windows on multiple sides then opening windows will allow more distributed airflow in a room or between rooms with them separated out.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Hahaha! I love this thread!

Every other person is "together!" "apart!"

I think that means you can't go wrong from the outside perspective. What works best with what is going on inside?

• deegw
    10 years ago

Put me in the apart column!

From a style standpoint, apart makes the house look more traditional. Together makes it look more transitional.

If you don't have a preference, as mentioned above, I would do what is best for window treatments and furniture placement,

This post was edited by deee on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 8:18

• carp123
    10 years ago

i think deee's answer is spot on. for me, together or apart look great. but think of the style that you really want.
    traditional or transitional.