Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdez1

Tankless Water Heater, where does it go?

jdez
10 years ago

I've been reading about tankless water heaters on GW with good and bad reviews. We are considering it due to the amount of space it would save. On some of the comments, they mentioned that their tankless water heater was located outside. I was wondering if anyone here has that current set up and does it take away from the overall appearance of your house? Did you disguise it in some way or is not even noticeable? Pics would be appreciated if you have them. Or maybe I misunderstood and most of them are installed inside the house. I read on one of the forums that it needs a vent, so if it is located inside, does it have to be on an exterior wall? Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We have two. They are wall hung. One is on an outside wall and one is in a closet. It just needs to be vented to the outside. The other thing to be aware of is the vent cannot be covered on the outside...like by snow as we found out during our first heavy winter storm.

Here's a pic of the one in the closet.

• Quik434
    10 years ago

If you live in an area with hard water, I would suggest either not using a tankless water heater or you could also install a water softener. The calcium buildup will destroy one rather quickly.

• Brian_Knight
    10 years ago

In the garbage!

• jdez
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brian you are cracking me up! I will take your answer into consideration, though.

AnnieD, thanks for the photo. I'm in the Deep South so I don't have to worry about snow. I was thinking that these things were a little more compact than the one in your picture, does this vary with the size of the house, needs, etc? I was thinking about using the space of the regular hot water heater as a broom/mop/vacuum closet with a couple of shelves for cleaning supplies. This same closet would house the tankless hw heater. Does this seem like a possibility to you?

Quik, no hard water here but thanks for the info.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

exterior wall in the south.
    I've seen boxes that the twh is installed
    inside of, with cover for the front.

putting them inside the house adds to
    cooling load in summer.

don't have pics though.

best of luck.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

It depends on the size of the closet...mine is in the closet in my craft room and I have shelving and other stuff in there too.

• galore2112
    10 years ago

I have a gas tankless in the basement (for the main bathroom) and one electrical each for the secondary bathroom and the kitchen. This setup was a bit more expensive than one big central water heater but adds redundancy and because they are all within feet of the fixtures provide for instant hot water.

The gas one looks like the one from Annie's picture (same model) and is vented directly to the outside, the electrical ones are much smaller (fit inside a cabinet) and were a lot easier to install.

• krock918316
    10 years ago

We put ours in the garage.

• shifrbv
    10 years ago

In addition, if you are on the private well - I would not recommend tankless.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We are on a well and our tankless are fine...but we also have a water softening.

• Brian_Knight
    10 years ago

Thanks for recognizing my hastily made comment was a half joke. If saving space is your main priority then the tankless is tough to beat especially in a climate where it can be located outside.

If energy efficiency is a concern you should look into heat pump water heaters. Garages are excellent locations in your climate although finding a space inside will help reduce your cooling costs with dehumidification benefits.

From an energy and water efficiency standpoint, locate the heater as close to the most used fixtures as possible. Small plumbing footprints with a close mechanical room are ideal. Much like jrldh's situation, a dedicated tankless can make sense for remote fixtures but I would also consider a recirculation loop triggered by a switch or motion detector depending on the users preferences.

• Brian_Knight
    10 years ago

Oh.. and ALWAYS insulate hot water lines!!

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

x2 on heat pump water heater & insulating hot water lines.

LOL Brian, the forum needs a sense of humor these days.