Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green mold is growing on a corner of our house's brick.

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 9:07

The gutters are in and downspouts too. Is this something to be concerned about? The brick is sand-faced so I'm not sure how to clean this off. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green mold is growing on a corner of our house's brick.

Is it on a north facing side of the house/side that gets very little to no direct sunlight or is in shade all day?

o

Yes

o

It is probably algae or moss that can be washed off. The important issue is where is the moisture coming from. Are the bricks always damp?

o

Agree this is not a mold issue but rather an algae or moss issue.

o

A painters extension pole, an 'acid brush' and some elbow grease.

Only scrub as hard as you need to .

o

Thanks. Yes, the brick there has been wet or damp for ages now.

o

Find out why the bricks are damp.I suspect excessive water is getting into the cavity from above. Get someone on a ladder to look at every crack, joint and opening in the brickwork.

Also check to see if the weeps are open at the bottom of the wall and above openings.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 8:17

o

Before we all start speculating, I'm curious to know what your GC and mason have said in answer to your question.

o

North facing/areas that stay shaded all the time are prone to this, unfortunately as we found out with our last house (it had siding--so much easier to clean).

I am also curious what GC & mason have to say--but also, what does your brick manufacturer recommend you do to remove it since the brick is sand faced?

o

This is a natural and not at all uncommon occurrence for the north side of houses. They stay shady and moist, no matter what the siding material. That's perfect growing conditions for moss or algae. Some people pay really big bucks for bricks that have that growing on them as it gives a time worn appearance and is considered desirable by some. Others hate it, and are in a continual battle to scrub it off. With sand faced brick, I'd suggest that you grow to love it. Continual scrubbing of sand faced brick will just scrub the sand right off.

o

our builder said they'd clean it off and it's no big deal. the mason and i did not speak about it. i doubt anyone will be willing to look for cracks between bricks, etc., but i will ask.

o

Did the builder say how they would clean it off?

o

No. I've not heard how they will clean it off. Today the mason seemed unconcerned about it. I'm going to have our builder check the weep holes next week.

o

this is the least offensive area in the section where the moss/algae is growing:
Uploaded with Snapbucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here