Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Green mold is growing on a corner of our house's brick.

threeapples
11 years ago

The gutters are in and downspouts too. Is this something to be concerned about? The brick is sand-faced so I'm not sure how to clean this off. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Is it on a north facing side of the house/side that gets very little to no direct sunlight or is in shade all day?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes

• renovator8
    11 years ago

It is probably algae or moss that can be washed off. The important issue is where is the moisture coming from. Are the bricks always damp?

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Agree this is not a mold issue but rather an algae or moss issue.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

A painters extension pole, an 'acid brush' and some elbow grease.

Only scrub as hard as you need to .

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. Yes, the brick there has been wet or damp for ages now.

• gbsim1
    11 years ago

Before we all start speculating, I'm curious to know what your GC and mason have said in answer to your question.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

North facing/areas that stay shaded all the time are prone to this, unfortunately as we found out with our last house (it had siding--so much easier to clean).

I am also curious what GC & mason have to say--but also, what does your brick manufacturer recommend you do to remove it since the brick is sand faced?

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

This is a natural and not at all uncommon occurrence for the north side of houses. They stay shady and moist, no matter what the siding material. That's perfect growing conditions for moss or algae. Some people pay really big bucks for bricks that have that growing on them as it gives a time worn appearance and is considered desirable by some. Others hate it, and are in a continual battle to scrub it off. With sand faced brick, I'd suggest that you grow to love it. Continual scrubbing of sand faced brick will just scrub the sand right off.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

our builder said they'd clean it off and it's no big deal. the mason and i did not speak about it. i doubt anyone will be willing to look for cracks between bricks, etc., but i will ask.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Did the builder say how they would clean it off?

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No. I've not heard how they will clean it off. Today the mason seemed unconcerned about it. I'm going to have our builder check the weep holes next week.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

this is the least offensive area in the section where the moss/algae is growing: