Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abekker_gw

Two story foyer window size?

abekker
9 years ago

Hi,

My window came in and seems too small. What size window did you choose for your two story foyer?

Thanks.

Comments (18)

• Jackie Kennedy
    9 years ago

My foyer window probably isn't as large as the custom homes on this site. It is a 3060 flanked by 1060 on each side. Is the home framed to where you can see the window openings and that's how you're gauging? In other words why do you think yours is possibly too small?

• stblgt
    9 years ago

ours is a 48x48. it is a nice size. my parents have a 60x60 and is very, very nice. however, we went with what would fit the space accordinly and not look out of place. good luck!

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My window is approximately 6 by 6. It's not too bad, they hung it a little too hight to the ceiling, but they will change that. Thanks everyone! !!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Why is the house-wrap only at the windows? I think the entire house should be wrapped with the wrap cut in an "I" and folded back into the opening.

• mrsb1227
    9 years ago

Here's mine, was supposed to be bigger but builder had a hard time finding it so we compromised and added a transom over door to fill in some of the space.

This post was edited by MrsB1227 on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 22:11

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Millworkman I asked the same question, but my builder said it will be wrapped this week. Is this wrong??? Thanks.

MrsB your window looks great, very proportional. Adding the transom was a good idea too. I will shift my window down a ft, for some reason it's all the way up. My builder said they will redo.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Millworkman I asked the same question, but my builder said it will be wrapped this week. Is this wrong??? Thanks.

MrsB your window looks great, very proportional. Adding the transom was a good idea too. I will shift my window down a ft, for some reason it's all the way up. My builder said they will redo.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Everything I know says it is supposed to wrapped prior to windows (so it is essentially one piece or properly overlapped) with the window cutouts as an "I". I don't think that is at all correct.

• lafdr
    9 years ago

abekker,
    Isn't your window in the "correct" spot so it lines up with the tops of the other upper windows?
    Lafder

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I would still be concerned about proper weatherproofing

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Millworkman, I am very concerned especially that with the cold weather, but what can I do? we are thinking of postponing stucco until the spring, is that even possible?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Just make certain the windows are installed and flashed properly which from that picture you posted earlier they are not. Season does not matter, wrong is wrong and the time to fix it is now.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

You have a VERY SERIOUS order of operations malfunction there. Put the brakes on now, or you'll be permanently fighting moisture damage in that home as it rots out over a not so long period. They need to pull all of the windows, and you need to be on site when they are put back in to ensure proper flashing.

• methoddesigns
    9 years ago

They are right. They should put the house wrap on, cut it and wrap it around the opening. After this, the window should go in and then there should be another layer of flashing. They should do the bottom, then sides, then top so they overlap correctly since water flows down. Here is a picture of a house I just finished building.

• abekker
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just read install instructions that I downloaded from DuPont's website and it has this way also. If windows and doors have already been flashed than tie in the air barrier into the flashing. Tape all seams except bottom.

• methoddesigns
    9 years ago

You can do it that way, but it is not best practice. It is a lot more work and more chance for something to go wrong or be missed. Not to mention exposed seams everywhere. It makes no sense to me. You want to minimize places where water may penetrate. I suggest walking the outside before they put up any brick, stone, or siding to make sure all seams and penetrations are sealed.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Dude get your head out of the sand and put on some big boy pants. You are the one that has to live here. And you are the one that will pay to reconstruct the house down the road when all of the leaking windows create mold and rot in the walls. I've seen that first hand. Fix it NOW. It's cheaper and easier than after the damage is done. It's a hell of a lot more important to get this right than to worry over which cheap cabinets with expensive details to pick.

Just read Susuesnowflake's saga on here from about 15 years ago.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

holly is 100% correct and exactly what I was trying to say albeit a little more subtly but you seem to like to stick up for the builder, so subtle is out. And the few bucks you save on your cabinets will be very minor compared to rebuilding the exterior of your home due to water infiltration. Of course he is going to say it is correct, he does not want to redo it and knows the warranty and he will more than likely be long gone before you find the damage.......

This post was edited by millworkman on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 13:08

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio