Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cleaning of New Build

Posted by kstuy (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 8:51

Our new build construction is almost done. Does anyone know the going rate for a cleaning crew to go through the house before we move in within the NYC area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cleaning of New Build

I'm not in NYC, but I was pretty upset with the cleaning bill I got from GC. It was almost $2000, they were in the house for 2 days, and they didn't even do the outside of the windows or the screens. Plus several of the kitchen cabinets had not been cleaned inside. Needless to say, after I complained profusely, they were back to do the windows and the screens. I should have taken vacation from work and done it myself. Our house is a 2600 sq ft ranch with 90% finished basement, and approx 5000 sq ft finished all together. The construction crew had done an outstanding job of site cleanup, both inside and outside, so they just had to do a general cleaning inside.

o

Wow so when a house is built it doesn't come clean?

o

Abdrury: Somebody has to clean it, and the homeowner always pays, one way or another. Whether you see that bill or not depends on your contract.

o

LOL! logically new build..you would think it would be
clean..but yeah..it needs a good cleaning before home
owner moves in.

best of luck op! and congrats on your new home.

o

I would suggest calling some local cleaning companies to get estimates.

Mine is going through cleaning on Sunday. I don't even want to see the bill, however there is no way I would do it myself.

o

I have a great builder and everything has gone very well so far. The only minor negative is the mess. Building is a dirty job and it took me a while to accept that. The worst has to be the sheetrock/mud. That stuff is everywhere.

I agree with everyone else in that you're going to pay for the clean up at the end with sweat or money but it HAS to be done. The good news is that there shouldn't be any stains :)

o

As the daughter of a builder, who has helped my mom more times that I like to remember, clean a newly constructed home... my advice is to get someone who does new construction cleaning - not just your average cleaning lady. They will be prepared to get the dust-turned-clay out of your tubs and sinks, and those awful window stickers off with ease. They have the tools to get the job done most efficiently. Congrats on having an almost-finished home!!!

o

Thanks for all the replies. Our Contractor has kept the house very clean during the build but a definite clean up needs to be done before the big move. Now to finish packing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here