Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kstuy

Cleaning of New Build

kstuy
12 years ago

Our new build construction is almost done. Does anyone know the going rate for a cleaning crew to go through the house before we move in within the NYC area?

Comments (8)

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I'm not in NYC, but I was pretty upset with the cleaning bill I got from GC. It was almost $2000, they were in the house for 2 days, and they didn't even do the outside of the windows or the screens. Plus several of the kitchen cabinets had not been cleaned inside. Needless to say, after I complained profusely, they were back to do the windows and the screens. I should have taken vacation from work and done it myself. Our house is a 2600 sq ft ranch with 90% finished basement, and approx 5000 sq ft finished all together. The construction crew had done an outstanding job of site cleanup, both inside and outside, so they just had to do a general cleaning inside.

• abdrury
    12 years ago

Wow so when a house is built it doesn't come clean?

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

Abdrury: Somebody has to clean it, and the homeowner always pays, one way or another. Whether you see that bill or not depends on your contract.

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

LOL! logically new build..you would think it would be
    clean..but yeah..it needs a good cleaning before home
    owner moves in.

best of luck op! and congrats on your new home.

• Pcandlyte
    12 years ago

I would suggest calling some local cleaning companies to get estimates.

Mine is going through cleaning on Sunday. I don't even want to see the bill, however there is no way I would do it myself.

• Kathy Beebe
    12 years ago

I have a great builder and everything has gone very well so far. The only minor negative is the mess. Building is a dirty job and it took me a while to accept that. The worst has to be the sheetrock/mud. That stuff is everywhere.

I agree with everyone else in that you're going to pay for the clean up at the end with sweat or money but it HAS to be done. The good news is that there shouldn't be any stains :)

• momto3kiddos
    12 years ago

As the daughter of a builder, who has helped my mom more times that I like to remember, clean a newly constructed home... my advice is to get someone who does new construction cleaning - not just your average cleaning lady. They will be prepared to get the dust-turned-clay out of your tubs and sinks, and those awful window stickers off with ease. They have the tools to get the job done most efficiently. Congrats on having an almost-finished home!!!

• kstuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. Our Contractor has kept the house very clean during the build but a definite clean up needs to be done before the big move. Now to finish packing!