Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amykath

Can you install the roof prior to siding?

amykath
9 years ago

Our framers are working at warp speed. We won't have our siding delivered for several weeks and the windows and exterior doors will arrive about the same time. They are framing and finishing the roof this week. We could install the roof and our garage doors soon.

Can you install either of these before the siding?

Thanks in advance!
Amy

Comments (15)

• millworkman
    9 years ago

The roof should absolutely e on before you even think about windows with the siding as soon as possible after the windows. Garage doors I would wait on as the chances are very good that they will get damaged.

• kg4951
    9 years ago

No garage doors until after sheet rock. Door hardware gets installed over it. That's what my builder has told us anyway.

• worthy
    9 years ago

No garage doors until after sheet rock.

Sorry, but this builder always put the garage doors on first. Otherwise a rain or snowstorm could damage the drywall.

The roof should be up as fast as feasible so you can have a protected workspace. Indeed, in one home I did, the house was nearly finished inside before the brick went on.

Note roof on and no brick or stone.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Your question is very confusing. What does the roof have to do with siding? The roof needs to be installed ASAP. If you're asking about the windows and ext doors, those have to be installed before siding. Ditto what worthy said about garage doors.

This post was edited by robin0919 on Sun, Nov 30, 14 at 22:43

• methoddesigns
    9 years ago

Always do roof asap so you can start with the roughs. Windows and exterior doors (or construction doors with final frames) should be done shortly after to get everything dried in. Every house I have built, I have waited until after paint for garage doors. This way they can get the sheetrock up, the texture done, and the paint sprayed without getting the garage door. I guess it depends on the finish going in your garage. I have always done sheetrock with texture, trim, and paint just like the inside of the house. If you are worried about weather, have them put up plastic or thermal ply for temporary coverage, especially if you are using expensive garage doors.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your super helpful suggestions.

The house will be ready for a roof in a week. I hope the framing can handle some rain as it is to rain here off and on all week!

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

Where we lived in FL, the garage door hardware had to be directly attached to the framing, not over drywall. Probably a hurricane thing. I'm not sure how they detailed the drywall around the hardware.

• methoddesigns
    9 years ago

Usually the framers would put blocking in for the garage doors and the hardware would go through the sheetrock and into the blocking. You can also use 1x4 which is a half inch thick, and butt the sheetrock up to it.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

A roof consists of framing, sheathing, underlayment and roofing installed in that order. After the underlayment is installed work can proceed inside but there is rarely a reason to delay installation of the roofing.

• amykath
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. Looks like the roof goes on this coming Monday after they put the plywood on the frames and seal it. Windows are to come in later next week. After that siding, then we can put in the garage doors. Our exterior doors are to come in over the next two weeks. It took us countless months (cannot even remember how long ago we started) to build up our lot to 16 ft using fill and large stones, engineers, packing of the dirt and rock etc. Then we got to wait another month after our first slab guy dropped off the face of the earth. Luckily we found someone excellent and they did a fantastic job. A whole lot went into that. Eight to ten large holes dug down to native soil some being 10 ft down. Crazy! Now the framers are moving at warp speed, so it's coming down to crunch time.

Whew! I know it will be both exciting and stressful to finalize so many things. Thousands of decisions have been made and thousands to come.

I am sure you all can relate to that!

• allen456
    9 years ago

Meandering off topic with the flow.....but for the love of everything good, why do people hang drywall in garages? Without a proper HVAC system, aren't you begging for mold?

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Building code requires drywall on all shared walls, ceilings and am not 100% sure but I believe a portion of the balance of the walls posiibly entire walls covered now). And the drywall all needs to be Type X or Firecode Drywall.

• methoddesigns
    9 years ago

@ allen456. You could say the same for bathrooms with the temp and moisture change. It also looks a lot better than exposed studs. If you really wanted to, you could hang mold resistant drywall on the areas without the firecode drywall. I drywall every garage and haven't had a problem yet. It also helps if you tape, float, texture, prime, and paint.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Here, if the garage has drywall on all the walls, it is considered a finished garage and you will be taxed at a higher rate than an unfinished garage.

• methoddesigns
    9 years ago

That is strange. Unless it is conditioned, it shouldn't be counted. I guess it's a way for them to make extra money.