Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sueva2013

Flash and Batt - Am I in trouble?

SueVa2013
9 years ago

Our builder offered us this upgrade and said he has done it in few houses before and it is a great thing to do. We took up this option as he really sang praises for this.

Now, Someone at work mentioned not to do this and after doing some research I am worried. Looks like there might be a moisture problem but my builder says that's only in extreme cold areas and we should be fine in Virginia.

This is a 2x6 construction. The wall profile from outside in is going to be: Hardiplank, Tyvek, OSB, 1 inch closed cell spray foam, kraft faced R19 batt, and Drywall.

The house has been foam sprayed but the fiberglass insulation and drywall has not been installed. Since we are worried he said we could do all spray foam and use open cell for the remaining portion to spend less. We have heard this can be stupendously expensive!

My internet research seems to indicate that he should be using unfaced batts!

What are your thoughts?

Comments (4)

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

It's a reasonable cost effective solution. The closed cell foam will air seal well and the additional fiberglass insulation will be much cheaper and work better.

I agree I wouldn't do this in a cold weather climate as the dew point may well be in the wall and thus condensation would be a concern. However in Virginia it will likely be fine.

Depends on how much money you save on doing this. If it's just a few thousand, I'd probably just spray foam the whole thing. If it's going to save 10 grand, then in that climate it sounds like it's probably worth it.

One thing will be quality of the spray job - if you're just spaying a thin layer then it has to be done precisely and without gaps for sure.

Yes you definitely want unfazed batts. Might also consider throwing in mineral wool batts instead of fiberglass

• worthy
    9 years ago

In theory, this should be fine. In practice, it may be difficult for the applicator to ensure a minimum one-Inch coverage to ensure the inner side of the sheathing stays below the dew point. I would increase the "flash" to 2".

This will meet Code for R values in Zone 4, though it will be less than Building Science Corp.'s Joe Lstiburek's recommended wall R-40 for any place north of the Mason Dixon Line.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

If you are going to spray closed cell foam on the back of the exterior sheathing you should omit the kraft paper facing on the insulation so the wall can dry to the inside. You might ask your contractor why he would want to put a vapor retarder on each side of the wall.

I agree that the foam should be 2 inches because the spraying gets more efficient and cost effective as the temperature rises with a thicker layer.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

If you are going to spray closed cell foam on the back of the exterior sheathing you should omit the kraft paper facing on the insulation so the wall can dry to the inside. You might ask your contractor why he would want to put a vapor retarder on each side of the wall.

I agree that the foam should be 2 inches because the spraying gets more efficient and cost effective as the temperature rises with a thicker layer.

Since the wall will be very air tight and will not dry to the exterior, the Tyvek will not be doing much except providing a place for water to collect if there are any penetrations in it. It might be an opportunity to seal the exterior face of the sheathing with a liquid applied or self-adhering membrane.

I should add that many closed cell foams are not considered a vapor retarder until they reach a thickness of 1.5" but you should get confirmation of the actuarial permanence for 1". It might also be difficult to maintain that thickness. Perhaps a better option for a wall is open cell foam or dense pack cellulose.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 7:56