Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcbob

Exterior Look opinions needed and Issues

rcbob
10 years ago

Again my wife and I would like help from Garden Web forum members.

We really valued the feedback that we received about our floor plan a few months ago.

The issue we have now is with the exterior front, I highlighted the two issues on the photo.

Besides the 2 issue areas we would like to receive any other comments on the overall look, I know this is very subjective.

We think the windows are too small for the amount of brick. Simply put there is too much brick, my wife really does not care for "1/3 stone on the bottom with 2/3 of brick" look.

But she would re-consider if there are no other options.

What options do we have to break-up the brick?

1) The first area is the laundry room and I assume the reason for the small windows is that there would be a table on that wall.

Please feel free to give us your opinion you will not offend or hurt are feelings.

Again, Thanks
Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Larger Photo

Comments (6)

• renovator8
    10 years ago

The house may have too much roof but it doesn't have too much brick; it is after all a brick house. IMO the brick is the only relief in the unrelated even mismatched collection of gables plus a mini tower that seem to be competing for dominance without success.

The windows are small because most of the utility areas are located in the front of the house and don't really need windows. I suspect you have no use for a dining room. Nevertheless, the windows could be made larger especially the tiny ones at the powder room and the mud room.

But I would be more concerned about getting the uncoordinated front elements under control.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Hi,
    I agree with Ren8, and would add that the decorative small windows are better than the alternative, and that when seen IRL, and with good sized foundation plantings beneath, it will probably be very charming. You're experiencing some distress induced by the "deceptive elevation effect".
    Casey

• lyfia
    10 years ago

What jumps out more to me is the mishmash of a variety of windows. Some with the arch top others with square and others rectangular and others oval. I think sticking to just a couple of different style windows would be better.

Also I think it would look better if you did it all brick. The stone mixed in just doesn't do it for me. Maybe that is because there is already so many different elements that it just makes it even more mishmash.

Edit: Here is a bit of a "photoshop" to illustrate without the stone and using similar style windows. I'm thinking you would landscape with taller bushes underneath the short windows which would also add some interest with a variety of heights in the landscaping. I also made the brick border trim around the taller windows to try to keep them more cohesive. Just an idea.

This post was edited by lyfia on Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 8:09

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

What I immediately think is: It's a poor design that puts all of those secondary spaces on the front of a house and then asks it to look as formal as you want it to look. This is obviously a "floorplan house" where the interior was designed in disconnect with the exterior.

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Getting rid of the turret, which doesn't seem to fit to me. Not sure this is much better though with the front door peak, but maybe it gives you some idea and it does add some symmetry with the garage gable.

• rcbob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We just wanted to thank everyone for your comments. After Thanksgiving we will review them with our designer.

Bob & Michele