Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen15_gw

40watt G9 bulbs-Are these bright?

Karen15
10 years ago

We are building a home and I have the master bath set up for a double vanity with 2 mirrors and 3 sconces. One on each side of mirror and one in the middle of them. I purchased sconces that each require two 40watt G9 halogen bulbs each. So that's 6 bulbs total I will be buying. Are those bright enough for a vanity? I have two recessed lights in the shower across from vanity and another recessed light near the toilet which is next to shower. I won't know how bright that is until they install. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I also posted in lighting..

Comments (14)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

240 watts should produce enough lumens for good visibility in the mirror, depending on the mounting height. The real measure for lighting, however, is lumens. The lumens produced is stated on the box.

Good luck with your project.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a 6 pack-each 40watt g9 halogen that says 120 v and 380 brightness? Is 380 the lumens?

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another brand says 40watt 120v and 480 lumens

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

I would not use halogen anywhere in a new build. It is a very hot light, and contributes to the HVAC load. Look for LED or fluorescent fixtures. They are more energy efficient by far than halogen and do not achieve anywhere close to the skin searing temperatures than halogen does.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

The other data to look for and compare is lifespan, the rated hours.

Energy consumption is a whole other ballgame for comparison; one that is best conducted before fixture selection.

Good luck with your project.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another brand says 40watt 120v and 480 lumens

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

It would be difficult to determine this in a scientific way without knowing all the variables.

It is not just the lumens but how much of the light is being delivered to the spot where it is needed. Also the users perception and light temperature.

But just roughly I would say it is probably a good amount of light for general use but a professional makeup artist would most likely want better lighting to prepare a model for a photo shoot.

• Karen15
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking the only way I'll really know is when they are installed. I always had vanity lights above my mirrors in the past but read so many articles that said to put them on the sides of mirrors. I'm hoping that three sconces with two bulbs a piece should be okay for general use. Worse case..Ill have to swap them for a different fixture. Thanks everyone!

• nanj
    10 years ago

As Green Designs noted, halogens put out a LOT of heat. Yes, they produce beautiful light, but standing so near to them may be uncomfortable. Candice Olsen uses lots of halogens in her designs but she works in Canada where some extra heat in your bathroom is probably not a bad thing! I would never have halogens in my bathroom.

• jkayepierce826
    8 years ago

Karen15--was this enough light? Thanks!

• golfergirl29
    8 years ago

Karen15, I'm considering the same--double bulbs in the sconces on either side of the mirror. Did you have enough light?

• Dianna Wood
    7 years ago

I have a crystal fixture that requires 3 40 watt G9 halogen bulbs. It will be mounted flush in the middle of a very small master bathroom ceiling other than checking for lumen rating on the box I guess I'm going to have to wait for install to see if it is sufficient lighting?

• kudzu9
    7 years ago

I've wired a fixture to a 3-wire (grounded) extension cord, hung it temporarily, and plugged it in to a GFI-protected receptacle so I could get an idea of illumination level prior to install. However, don't do this if you're not knowledgeable about electricity.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz