Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hughes123_gw

Living room Dimensions

Hughes123
10 years ago

We are up to the point where we now want to submit our final plans ready for our self build. However, i've started to doubt some of the dimensions. One of which is the living room which measure 22ft by 13ft. Do you think this is too narrow? There is a bay window at the end which is about 3 foot deep so if you ignore this then the dimensions would be around 19ft by 13ft. i've just menionted this so the layout of the room is clearer. At the centre the 22ft wall I was hoping to have a fireplace that comes out so there will be an alcove on each side however i'm worried that this will just make the room look to long and narrow. What are your ideas? Thanks :-)

Comments (9)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Everything depends on how you will furnish and use the space. Have you tried furniture and equipment layouts in your plan drawing?

Also important is circulation: how will one enter, circulate in and leave the space?

The dimensions 19 X 13 may work for some and not for others. Thirteen feet is pretty small, unless you have only a few small furniture pieces and the space will not be used by many people.

Good luck on your project.

• zippity1
    10 years ago

much also depends on the placement/number of doorways,
    fireplace? etc in the room
    having lived with a 20X15 gr with 5 doors and a fireplace
    I can tell you it's almost impossible to arrange furniture
    conducive to conversation
    if you have a very small family and few guests you might
    be fine, otherwise it needs to be much wider
    also if you have a very open concept it might be ok......

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

We had a townhouse when we only had one child. The living room was 14 ft wide and several feet longer. It was impossibly narrow. No flexibility in furniture placement and "crowded".

• User
    10 years ago

This is one of those questions where perspective is everything. :)

The tv/living room in my former house was 11X16. It was small. At 11 feet wide, you don't have room to really float anything. I thought I hated that room. And yet now that I've moved....I miss that cute little house.

My current living room is 13X22. When I first moved into that from the 11X16 room, it felt HUGE. I actually even have room to float some furniture. But I've been there for a year or so now....and you know what? Now that room is starting to feel too small to me.

I think the reality is that there really isn't a "too big" or a "too small". It is all in how you use the room, furnish the room, and what your expectations/perspective are.

• robo (z6a)
    10 years ago

I actually have a 12 x 12 living room with corner fireplace and a 12 x 24 family room.

The long family room is workable but too narrow. There is no room to put a sofa on the long wall and chairs on the opposing long wall. So I have the sofa and chairs in an 'L' shape. It's a bit awkward.i put a reading nook at one end of the room.

Furniture arrangement in the 12 x 12 living room is easy ... Sofa on one wall. 2 chairs on the other, and nothing else.

In both cases I have to buy smaller scale, apartment sized furniture to make sure every thing fits. Most stuff has to be pushed right up against the wall. Overstuffed furniture will not work in either room. For us it's ok, but limiting.

I would rather have a 14 x 14 room than 12 x 24.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

We need to see the layout.
    My Living Room (in a small house) is 14x18. That was too small (with a front door too, no foyer) for a only-living-room room.

13 feet is getting mighty tight if you need to walk through the LR to anywhere else in the house (ie, it isn't a dead-end room).

• dgruzew
    10 years ago

My current family room is 13 X 19 and its ok on space - but its a dead end room. my biggest issue is the door and the window placement

The biggest thing to consider with a 13 foot wide room is your furniture is going to have to be along the wall . So if you have to make sure your couch is not in front of a window or door.

• dan1888
    10 years ago

Do a full size layout and get a feel for the space.
    Change it until you are comfortable.
    It's less expensive now.
    Much depends on traffic flow.