Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlewhit

Garrell Home - Nantahala & office OR music room

littlewhit
15 years ago

After a very lengthy search of house plans, my husband and I have finally chosen "the one". I am wondering if anyone has built or is in the process of building the garrellassociates home plan called Nantahala. I have found many pictures of the plan, but they are all from the same home. I would be interested to see how other homes may be represented as well.

Also, I want to change the function of the "formal dining room" to be more functional for our family. We have 4 boys 9 & younger. I have 2 full file cabinets & work on the computer quite a bit. I would love an organized space for myself, my husband & for the boys to work on homework w/in proximity to me/kitchen. On the other side of the coin, I am convinced my boys will continue w/ music lessons & would love a "library/music" area. I am debating whether to keep it open as it is in the plan & use it for a music room / small den / library OR...close it off, add a door from the kitchen and use it as office / homework station.

Any expert advice would be most appreciated.

Comments (63)

• rnfruita
    14 years ago

Dh and myself are planning to purchase 13.27 acres in western colorado to build a version of this house on. Any pictures and information good or bad would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear how your building process is going. Thanks Nanette

• necia
    13 years ago

Would love to see pictures/read blogs from anyone that built this plan! We are hoping to build the Harmony Mountain Cottage which is very similar.

TIA,
    Necia

• brianacnp
    13 years ago

we are considering the home and would like to see it or pictures of it. Do you have a link for either? Either location of home being built or already built. Does anyone have the link to the pic from the Inman parade of homes?>Thanks
    >Brian

• jabonshila
    13 years ago

My wife and I are also in the planning stages of building a version on this home and would love to see pictures if anyone is willing to share. I would also appreciate any suggestions you may have on the plan. This will be our first time building.

Thanks!
    Brad

• jleecr
    12 years ago

My husband and I are interested in building the Nantahala any suggestions or pictures you could share would be awesome.We have two teen boys, and have been looking for a piece of land for over a year.

• NESooner
    12 years ago

I'm at the final stages of building (I was the GC) the Nantahala floor plan and would be willing to share my experiences and build pics if interested. I had Garrell modify the floor plan somewhat and it ended up being about 3600 sqft can't even remember what the original was.

• Joe
    12 years ago

It would be beneficial if you would share your photos and first hand experiences with the Nantahala house plan. We broke ground with the plan in late October and could likely benefit from your perspectives. Following a reality check, we are building the plan with only slight modifications.

• NESooner
    12 years ago

I'm new to this forum and can't figure out how to post pics but I'll figure it it. I take it you are not acting as the GC on your home build?

• Joe
    12 years ago

Correct. Our custom home builder had not built a house in three years. Now he has three. One is our Nantahala and one is a Tranquility. He was surprised to see the Garrell name and stunned it was the same general plan. We are at another CRITICAL build phase - ceiling rafters. Looking forward to viewing your photos and hearing your advice.

• NESooner
    12 years ago

We combined features from both the Nantahala and Tranquility plans and then I modified it a little more. Upstairs I made the guest room and bathroom bigger and added a 20'x20' movie room. Downstairs I pushed the lodge room wall out 52", bedroom #1 & #2 back wall out 18" and the keeping room back wall out 18". Since Garrell does not include framing plans things got a little interesting when in came to tieing all the roof lines together. Garrell does spec out 2x8 rafters which I changed to 2x6's this reduced cost but it did lessen the effect of the "swooped" rafter tails. I had the snow load recalculated for 2x6's and they proved to be more than sufficient. I could write a book on my experiences so instead of boring you with lots of details I'll just let you decide what you would like hear about. I'm still working on how to upload pictures?

• NESooner
    12 years ago

• slowdowntohurryup
    12 years ago

....guess i would like to read that book ...

not asking to go into everything - but as the poster above asked - the ceiling rafters are quite a bit different than a "normal" home--- anything in general you could share?

we are building one that is a version of the Amicaola (spelling?) / which is nothing more than a version of the Nantahala and Tranquility. We stumbled across a house that we really liked and the homeowners had it drawn up--- only later did we find out that it was a version of Garrells.

our big difference is that we are putting the bedrooms on one side instead of a split design..

• Joe
    12 years ago

NESooner,
    Would be grateful if you could post more pictures of your build. Building this plan has been eye and wallet opening! TIA.

• SilverSpurTrust
    12 years ago

We should all start a support group for Garrell house plan owner/builders. Lol They're beautiful, but complicated and expensive! We're going to be our own GC and are in the planning & budgeting stages (working on take off estimates, getting bids from subs, writing specs, etc.). We've had some sticker shock on the wood truss/posts/beams, but those really make the plan so we'll just have to see if there is somewhere else we can save some money (like leaving the basement unfinished to start). Always has to be some give and take. This is our third house we've literally built on our own together w/o killing each other...yet. ;)

We've purchased the Amicalola Cottage house plan from G&A and are waiting on to get the modifications back from them so we can really get rolling. We've been lucky enough to find and tour some similar G&A house plans, which has really helped us get a little better feel for the actual spaces.

We'd welcome any suggestions on ways to save money when building this house plan (still keeping the integrity) &/or a heads up for anything we should specifically watch out for on this house plan. We're all ears (or eyes in the this case)! :)

Thanks,
    N

• Leadoff3
    12 years ago

We are building the Nantahala Cottage #08131. This is our first home building experience. I am the GC. I had too many contacts of trusted people to pay someone else to build. After reading all the above posts, I totally agree with most. This house (or any variation) is a tough task to take on. We are currently dried in, spray foam and drywall next week. Rock and stucco next week also. We love this house and can't wait to get in. However, there are some roadblocks that I hope to help you avoid.
    1) The master garden tub...plans call for a 6' tub. plans read from outside wall to outside wall of 6'9". do the math, it doesn't work. PLEASE check your plans before. I caught it early and simply took out the window beside the shower and made plenty of room. Garrell responded with " oops, we didn't realize that"
    2) The guest room upstairs...if you change your roof pitch at all, or even if you don't, make sure to check the bathtub wall pitch. If you stood in the bath your head would hit the wall. We just moved the entire bathroom into the attic. We also widened the room to 18'. It will be more like a true guest suite.
    3) Make sure your vehichle will fit in the small garage. My wife's Escalade (land yacht) wouldn't come close. We scrapped the cedar posts and extended garage to 25' (flush with third car garage hole)

Some changes we made tailored to our needs...
    Third car garage was converted to a bedroom (like on some other plans ie...nantahala, tranquility, harmony)

Keeping room was converted to a REAL mudroom complete with bathroom and fridge. We have ranch, three boys, cattle and horses.

Refridgerator was moved from in-between lodge room and kitchen. We wanted that space open. We recessed the fridge in the "new" mud room wall. It is going to work great.

the Lodge Room gabel outside overhung 5'. We extended to 16' and tied in to covered porch roof. Looks awesome.

Bid on exposed trusses was $65,000!!! We are putting in hollowed out real cedar trusses for $3,000. Can't tell the difference.

We rounded out the master shower wall for a doorless walk in shower.

To be real honest, this house is truly a pain in arse to build. However, it will be a wonderful piece of art when done. They say building a house will test your marriage. BELIEVE THEM!!! This house will do it faster and more than any other. I finally came to a realization...man and woman don't think different, they think on two totally different planets!!!

• rnfruita
    12 years ago

Would love to see pictures of everyones build. Great stories and details.

• cwebre
    12 years ago

My husband and I are looking to build this house in about a year or so, I bet your home is awesome....
    My dad was a home builder years ago I showed him the pic today , well he justed smiled and said ...600,000-800,000
    To build ... What you think is he right ???? I love your Idea on the hollow out truss... great saving
    Thanks for your info...Chris and Chantel Webre...

• Joe
    12 years ago

Will depend upon the cost of labor in your area. Will also vary depending upon the Nantahala plan selected, hip OR gable roofline. The foundation and the framing costs for this plan are very high! And, so are the eyebrow windows and truss package.

• kerriholley
    11 years ago

Leadoff3, I am forgoing the shake shingles...too much work! Would love to see your exterior choices

• Joe
    11 years ago

{{gwi:1509972}}From April Arkansas Pictures

Nantahala Cottage (hip roof)
    Front elevation - 90% complete
    Exterior colors in photos not representative of actual product colors. {{gwi:1509973}}From April Arkansas Pictures

Front elevation - Master bath window
    To replace shutter straps w/18 inch
    straps.

From March Visit

Radius screened porch - ceiling will have 3 box beams. Radius open deck easy; radius screens NOT so much.

From March Visit

Scissor trusses (3) in foyer - Note: view of exterior porch truss through large foyer transom

From March Visit

3 King trusses Lodge room - doug fir trimmed out on both exterior (room) walls

From March Visit

Foyer/DR beams - downsized from GA plan

From March Visit

Ceiling in Breakfast nook

• dwise84
    11 years ago

We are building this home in the mountains of Virginia. My husband and I fell in love with this home. Little did we know how much it would cost to build. We bought the Garrell Nantahala plans and had our local architect "tweak" it. We were shocked that the cost was over a million dollars. After squaring off some of the rounded areas and adjusting the roof line, the cost is still going to be well over $900,000. We thought about using Eldorado stone, but chose a natural stone veneer instead, from Charles Luck Stone Mastercut. We chose not to finish the basement (good thing, since the cost would have really skyrocketed), but we did rough it in. We moved the fireplace on the deck to the wall opposite the keeping room and moved the keeping room fireplace to share the chimney with the outdoor fireplace. We also screened in that area of the deck. I will post pictures when we get further along. They are framing out now and pouring the garage floor this week and bringing in the trusses before starting the roof. We are excited!

• bobtat
    11 years ago

Wow! Purchased the plans for the Nantahala Cottage 07330 and was really surprised at the lack of help from Garrell & Associates. 5 builder quotes let me know that this was a house to waste some money on. The cost/sq ft in April 2012 for high end homes like this in our area was building roughly for $120-150/sq ft (westhaventn.com is an example) The average bid to build this 2611 sq ft home is $222/sq ft. Did I mention that I own the lot already? This was just the building, materials and GM costs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nantahala Cottage Gable

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

bobtat - did the builders tell you what was bringing up the cost of the house so much?

• Joe
    11 years ago

7 roof lines
    Framing for 7 roof lines
    Swoops
    Timber trusses
    Foundation
    Eyebrow windows

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Thanks, I was just curious! :)

• gamtnroadie
    11 years ago

Can anyone give me information on what they did for the beams that are called for by an engineer? I am hoping to sandwich 2x10's together so I do not have to call in an engineer.

Also, are the beams in the lodge room strictly decorative? We are wanting to put off putting them up till a future date.

• DivinityMorgan
    11 years ago

My husband and I just purchased 80 acres in Brevard, NC. After hours and hours of searching we have decided on the Amicacola cottage house plan. We are hoping to be breaking ground in March however we have our current home to sell. I would love any photos or suggestions anyone has on the plan. My email is divinitymorgan@yahoo.com

• SilverSpurTrust
    11 years ago

Gamtnroadie, my husband is a structural engineer and designed our beams for our specific modified G&A house plan. I asked him about your 2x10 idea and he said there was no way to know w/o seeing the house plans and he spans. He is not as generous as I am with his time or knowledge....but I tried for ya. ;)

We also sent the final house plans to the lumber company so they could do their take off for the material. Their design guy also sized the beams using his computer software to confirmed everything before ordering. They did that for free since we were buying the material from them so I'd start with a lumber co. to see if they can help you more there.

Also, the truss in the Lodge Room don't have to be structural. We framed the roof as usual and then we'll put up the Truss after the drywall is in.

• maryahernlee
    11 years ago

If anyone has built this home in the states of Louisiana,Mississippi,Arkansas,we would love to be able to view a finished product and can drive to your location. We live in Mississippi now but will be moving to Colorado mountains and this is the plan we have chosen.

• centraltexas
    11 years ago

We were about ready to begin building the Nantahala, but things came to a screaching hault when the lumber yard looked at the plans and said it would cost us around $1million to build (our contractor was the one who spoke with them). We are having a hard time understanding where that figure came from because we had obtained bids from 3 builders before we ever sold our previous home. The bids ranged from $125/sq ft to $140/sq ft. My husband is a dirt contractor and is doing the septic and plumbing. At this point, I am in tears because I had my heart set on this plan, and we were hoping to break ground within a week! Do you mind sharing what it is costing you per sq ft? Our plan number is 07330 it is 2611 sq ft, and we are doing the 334 sq ft bonus room. Too, if anyone has any advice or wisdom to share, I am open.

• niteshadepromises
    11 years ago

I'd say get a second opinion? Might also help the folks here to know your location.

• maryahernlee
    11 years ago

Gamtnroadie and/or billygoatjoe:
    Are you finished building? Are you located in TN and Arkansas? Would love to drive up and see your homes- would either of you consider that?
    Live in Mississipi so could get to either location easily.

• DivinityMorgan
    11 years ago

After originally planning on the Amicalola house plan we have since decided on the Nantahala Cottage with the gable roof plan # 07330� The simpler gable roof will make the cost of the roof much less and really doesn�t hurt the appearance much when you look at side by side pictures. We have spoken to one GE who quoted us $165 a sqft if we were able to do a lot to help?!? Yeah that�s not going to happen. So we will for SURE be our own GE. Also he said it used to taken them 3 months to do the original Amicalola roof and they had gotten it down ti 1.5 months. So I�m excited to find out about the gable roof as I think that�s where a lot of the difficult comes from with these plans. And I would still love to speak to anyone who has / is building these plans and would love pics. My email is divinitymorgan@yahoo.com

• Mauricio214
    10 years ago

@Leadoff3... PRAYING you see this! You said you extended the overhang in the back to tie in to the patio? I would LOVE to see a picture! We're building the Nantahala and we're doing the full covered porch in the back and would like to see how yours came out. Currently framing, NEED HELP! Please see this, please see this, please see this!!! LOL

• Mauricio214
    10 years ago

Anybody else tie in the overhang to the patio?!

This post was edited by Mauricio214 on Thu, May 9, 13 at 5:32

• cthowards
    10 years ago

Dwise84: We are building this house soon (finalizing financing) and would love to do a walk through of a real house. Would you be interested in letting my wife and I see your house? Feel free to e-mail me at cthowards@comcast.net.

Thanks,

Rob

• cthowards
    10 years ago

Dwise84: We are building this house soon (finalizing financing) and would love to do a walk through of a real house. Would you be interested in letting my wife and I see your house? Feel free to e-mail me at cthowards@comcast.net.

Thanks,

Rob

• Will546
    10 years ago

Hey folks, my wife and I are several years out but dreaming of putting a Nantahala Cottage on our property near Boone, NC. I saw a posting in this thread that there is one in Banner Elk. Anybody willing to let us have a look at their hard work?

• zippity1
    10 years ago

we considered this plan for a very long time...
    but, the "great room-living room" seemed
    small for entertaining we now have two
    grown daughters, one son-in-law and 2 grand
    children and we would not all fit comfortably in
    any one room
    other than that, this plan looks wonderful
    I feel if you actually close off the dining room
    the living area will seem small
    love love the hearth room deck and porch
    and room arrangement

• DivinityMorgan
    10 years ago

We are located near Brevard, NC. Have our plan dried in. Shingles are going on the 1st of sept. Hoping to be in by Christmas

• Michele1972
    9 years ago

My husband and I are in the final stages of "tweaking" the Amicalola. We are very excited to begin but after reading all the issues with costs of things..... I'm scared! We are in middle Tennessee and would love to walk thru a finished home and talk about ways to cut costs. Thanks in advance!!!

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Hi Michele, just had to say hello to you....as clearly we had the same idea when we chose our usernames. :)

• Michele1972
    9 years ago

Hello Michelle1973, I'm guessing that is your birth year, Lol! Are you building or have you already built?

• lumart157
    9 years ago

Hi All,

My husband and I are building the Harmony Mountain Cottage, smallest version of the Natahala/Tranquility line. We are located in Atlanta, GA and would love to see/walk through an actual home model. Is anyone within 2/3 hours drive that wouldn't mind us looking at? All of your suggestions have been so helpful!!!

• Kim Rogerson
    9 years ago

Depending on the cost we are planning to build the Tranquility plan in central Texas, but we can't build a basement to raise the height of the home due to hard soil. Has anyone added a second floor covered patio to the second story of the Tranquilty floor plan or one of the other versions that is similar to it that Garrell offers?

Our lot we plan to purchase has a panoramic lake view, but we need to be up higher to see it. We are not planning to build any of rooms on the second floor, but we would like to have an interior staircase leads up through the unfinished second story that gives us access to door that opens onto a 2 story covered deck. If that isn't possible then we would need an exterior staircase with an easy walk up on the exterior side wall of the master/master bath. Our ideal location for our covered deck would be over the Master and Master bath, and we are hoping the roof line can be altered to allow a gable over the covered patio.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated, as I email Garrell 2 days ago, but I've heard back from them.

• Kim Rogerson
    9 years ago

Actually the plan that I just asked the question about is the Nantahala plan not the Tranquility.

• blackshirtjb
    8 years ago

I have extra custom windows for the nantahala. I have the upper transom for the lodge room and the arched windows for the garage. I will sell them very reasonably. You can call at 870-424-2403.

• Chantel Kress
    7 years ago

Where are you located with the windows?! Chantelkress@gmail.com

• HU-933965393
    2 years ago

2021 and looking to build the Nantahala plan 07330. After reading the comments, it may not happen.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler