Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redheadeddaughter

Will you vote on our exterior color?

redheadeddaughter
10 years ago

I know this is kind of a paint and decorating question... but so many here have seen the whole project from start to finish numerous times, I would love to get your opinion.

We've narrowed it down to green, gray, dark blue, dark gray, and blue. Okay maybe we haven't really narrowed it down. ;)

Will you tell me your favorite? Or alternatively, which one turns your stomach and you can't stand to look at? I'm so deep into the project, I can't seem to get any perspective today.

(And for those who haven't been bored by my previous posts, there is a site requirement that the paint be on the darker side)

This one is mysterious (which is a charcoaly blue)

Here is a link that might be useful: all the colors in one spot on flickr

Comments (30)

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Louisburg green with a darker roof

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Heather Gray

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

navy blue (but still quite dark)

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last one: Sea Star. We weren't leaning towards a mid blue, but it's my kids favorite, so I had to include it here. :)

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

Very pretty! My favorite is the mysterious, followed by the navy blue.

The Heather Grey would be my 3rd choice.

I would eliminate the green and the Sea Star. While I like both of those colors, I don't like them with the red, as well as I like the stronger, darker colors.

I like the darker roof also.

This post was edited by neroselover on Tue, Nov 19, 13 at 2:31

• akshars_mom
    10 years ago

I am with neroslover. I like the Mysterious and Navy blue followed by Grey. These colors go well with the barn color.

• xc60
    10 years ago

I really like the grey, or the Sea Star with the darker roof, not the light roof shown. No matter what, it's going to be beautiful, great choices.

• nepool
    10 years ago

Love the first one-mysterious charcoal blue.

So nice to see a bright house- I'm having tan overload!

• nostalgicfarm
    10 years ago

Charcoal blue followed by heather grey. I have considered the charcoal grey for our place because it looks so fabulous with a barn!

• User
    10 years ago

Do the barn in another color maybe? Because I'm with your kid. I really like the Sea Star. It makes the house look like it belongs on the lot. The darker colors, while mandated, make it look heavy and intruding onto Mother Nature. Maybe do the barn in the dark charcoal/almost black like you see on a lot of barns in KY. It's a good look with white trim.

• chicagoans
    10 years ago

I like the mysterious with the red barn, or the darker blue too. I also like hollysprings idea of the Sea Star with a dark barn; mocked up below.

Your house will be so pretty!

• stblgt
    10 years ago

my favorite is mysterious. however, i also like that green color as well...close second.

• dadereni
    10 years ago

Sea Star. And I think it looks fine with the red barn.

• LE
    10 years ago

Mysterious! With navy as second choice. Looking forward to seeing it.

• Katie S.
    10 years ago

Maybe I am crazy but my favorite is the green. Sea Star would be my second choice.

Agree the barn should be darker if you choose either of them.

Does your area of California go "brown" in the summer and fall? If so, I think the darker colors might stand out a little too much.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Are you going to pick the stone after the house and barn colors are chosen? I always thought people picked the stone first because there aren't as many options as paint colors.

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for voting everyone. Yes, this part of California gets quite brown/yellow in the summer.. with the oak trees keeping things from looking too sad. It is beautifully green from December - June. So that is something to consider. I keep forgetting about the stone, dekeoboe, thanks for reminding me! We are using stone from our site (or similar, since we will at least use it in our landscaping), but the paint needs to be picked out for design review yesterday. ;) So we are doing the paint first it seems, which might prove probelmatic, I know. Maybe I should go out to the site in the morning and grab some stone.

I've spent the better part of my free moments researching black Kentucky barns today. Thank you hollysprings for that fun idea.

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

Red,

I will look at my fan deck in the morning and give you my favorite then.
    Can you tell me the exact barn color and brand?
    Is the barn, new? What is the color of the barn roof?
    So far I like Mysterious but I am not sure about the roof.

If you use Mysterious, which is an affinity color, would you use a red from the affinity fan deck? They say that any 3 given colors in the affinity deck complement each other.

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

naf naf that would be awesome. The red above is raspberry truffle by BM. From the affinity fan deck, I think Pomegranate would be close, but a little darker, also very nice. Yes, it's new and attached via a breezeway, so we aren't sure what to do about the roof and varying colors either.

After hollysprings black barn idea, we painted a poster board mock up of Jamestown blue (which is a brighter than sea star, but very happy), a creamy tan/white and Mysterious on the barn, which reads like a black when it dries. Tonight we really love it!

• carp123
    10 years ago

i just love your house! i LOVE the charcoal blue (1st).
    I am deciding between a grey/green and a dark blue like you have. my heart is going with blue. I especially love that choice because our front door and 2 french doors flanking the front door will be stained wood...so i think the blue and the warm brown/orangey tones of the wood would work really nice together.
    not sure what your roof material is....but something like a natural aged cedar would be stunning with the blue's. good luck.

• carp123
    10 years ago

i just love your house! i LOVE the charcoal blue (1st).
    I am deciding between a grey/green and a dark blue like you have. my heart is going with blue. I especially love that choice because our front door and 2 french doors flanking the front door will be stained wood...so i think the blue and the warm brown/orangey tones of the wood would work really nice together.
    not sure what your roof material is....but something like a natural aged cedar would be stunning with the blue's. good luck.

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

Red,

The only color that I liked with the red barn is: Mysterious.

I did not like any of the other options.

I love Holly's idea, so If you go with a Mysterious barn, then, the best color for the house is Jamestown Blue HC-148.

As for the trims, I think Frostine (affinity color) looks great with the pomegranate red, the Mysterious and the Jamestown Blue. It is not too stark, and bright enough for contrast (LRV is 88.5). When in doubt of how light a color is, always check the LR value.

Make sure you use matte paint (not flat).

Are you sure you want to use stone? I would not. You could use that money somewhere else. The home will look cleaner without stone.

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Carp123 and Naf Naf!

We are uncertain about the stone as well. It does reference some history on the site though, and we like it for that reason. We can always make garden walls out of the stone though. So we'll see as we go into the bidding process I suppose.

There is one thing that is really confusing me. What is the difference between matte paint and flat... I thought they were the same?

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

By definition, they are.
    In the world of paint, there is a bit of a difference. Aura/Duration paints are in between flat and egg shell. They are washable. You can not wash flat paint. On the other hand, flat paints are easier to touch up.

I am not a paint expert but, once in a while I do select colors and textures at work for our projects.

Your house is big and you only have a bit of stone. I am afraid it will look a bit silly (I do not want to use the other word I have for this).
    Using stone for planters/borders or porch flooring would be great!

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

GORGEOUS house! I think whatever color you paint it, you will be happy...I lean towards the more navy/gray over the green/blues...

Can't wait to see it finished!
    Pam

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Redhead- I think you need some actual paint samples, to compare your exterior colors with the barn red.

As for the red, be VERY CAREFUL about getting the right color! There was a beautiful gray house and red barn a few miles from here. The new owners wanted to freshen up the red paint....and it looked like something out of Nightmare on Elm Street. The barn was blood red....and it was not pretty. You should be able to find a 'barn red' at the paint store, but if not....try several samples and then decide on the house color.

From what you have there...if they go with the barn, I like the lighter colors, gray, blue and green. Also, don't forget how your plants will look against them, so gray might be the safest :)

• LE
    10 years ago

We painted a barn red and actually ended up using "tile red" instead of the "barn red," which was too brown. That was for Cabot stain, not paint. Although erring on the side of too brown would be better than blood red!

• redheadeddaughter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LL: there you are! :) I've been hoping you would chime in... we will be very careful with the red if we use it for sure. Don't want blood red. That would be awful!

• kawerkamp
    7 years ago

Are you still around these days, redheadeddaughter? I have loved following the threads of your farmhouse build (one of my absolute favorite homes!) and wondered if 1) you could give me the name of your architect, and 2) if you have any completed photos of your masterpiece now that it has been built?