Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katierenee9090

Figuring out your style? Design help please!

KatieRenee9090
9 years ago

Hi again! You were all so awesome a couple weeks ago helping me find issues with the house plan we loved. After seeing so many issues and really thinking about what we wanted- we scraped it all lol and met with our drafter and designer week before last. I am excited to see what he comes up with. We had it pretty laid out before the end of the meeting but he's working on exacts and the elevations!

In the meantime, I am trying to figure out the design elements of what I like. We are looking to build next spring/summer so I have some time but I'm so confused! This is our first home and also our forever home. We are in our mid/late twenties and have lived in apartments for the past 8 years. Trying to decide what we see in our home is hard. I have spent hours on pinterest and houzz. I have found things I loved and lots I liked but I don't know how to narrow it down. I don't know how to see beyond one room at a time. I don't know how to pick all the different elements that bring together a room.

Anyone have any tips on how you figured out what you liked. I feel like I can look at so many rooms and finally pick out 3 I like but they are all completely different. How do we find our style? Is there a secret? lol

Comments (13)

• kayakboy
    9 years ago

I think you want to pick out an exterior style you like and let the interior follow, at least in terms of basic trim and style.

Really, the layout of the house in terms of function and the style of the house, both exterior and interior, are somewhat unrelated.

We wavered between an Arts and Craft and a soft modern design, with a soft modern design winning.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Several things...

Collect all the pics that you love and like...just whatever strikes your fancy...don't collect 3, but a whole bunch. Then put them aside for a day or two. Then go back and flip through the pics and you will start to see something emerge...a consistent theme, color palette, style, light exposure, woodwork, a sense of warmth or modernity, or something else that will be a common element that will help you with your style.

There are fun on line style quizzes that may help you find your style. [what's your style[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-quiz-whats-your-decorating-style-stsetivw-vs~25171951)

Check out Christopher Worthland. Perhaps what will help is a better understanding of what the different styles are and what elements make up that style.

Think about your location. I'm in New England and as much as I like the Mediterranean style, it would never look appropriate in our area. Is there something in your geography that will help steer you?

Think about your other styles...how about your wardrobe? Do you go for trendy, modern, classic, retro? Are you happier when you are middle of the road, or do you like to be more extravagant?

Think about another scale....form vs. function. I'm very much a function over form so for me, it's all about the practicality and efficiency first and how it looks comes second. Others are all about looks first, even if it's not as efficient.

Think back to younger days...did you ever see a house that you always loved? Sometimes, we are closer to our styles when we are less filtered by age. I remembered an old "gingerbread" house that I loved as a child, I went back and took pictures and showed the architect who also thought the place was incredible. We clearly don't have a gingerbread house, but elements including the slope of the roof line and the front facing gable were built into our current house.

Look around the neighborhood and see if there's a house that you really like and take that as your cue.

Learn about [parti pris[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/whats-the-big-idea-in-architecture-its-the-parti-pris-stsetivw-vs~7867799). What is it you want your house to say/do/be?

Finally, sometimes indecision is because we are fearful of making a mistake. We can be overwhelmed by the enormity of the decision. But fear can block our hearts and our creativity. So for now, forget the fear, forget the enormity of the decision. Put on your child-like playfulness hat and just think about the design on paper which can be tossed aside and redone at will, and see where it takes you.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

What you need is a talented designer whatever their training might happen to be. Guiding you through this part of the design process should be their job; you should not have to do it on your own.

Pick 3 photos you really like and post them with comments about why you like them.

• KatieRenee9090
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all! I have a lot to think about now in figuring out our overall style for the house

• mom2samlibby
    9 years ago

I remember feeling like that when we were getting started, especially over picking what I wanted for the kitchen. It seemed overwhelming. What finally helped me was just to start pinning items on Pinterest. Then, I took a break for a couple of days and came back and looked at them as a whole. After awhile, I saw definite themes emerging. The majority of my kitchen pins were of a white kitchen. Once I saw what was drawing my eye, it became easier to start narrowing items down.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Another technique in decision making is, you can't choose the best among 20 items easily, but you can choose among 2 or 3. So, say you have 20 pictures. Go through them in sets of 2 or 3 selecting which one in that set you like best. Then do it again and again and eventually you will end up with 1 or 2 favorites.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

How would you describe your style? Some people combine styles, such as old world, craftsman, cottage....or modern, coastal, cabin. If that doesn't work, think about what you really love in a home.

Do you want built-ins? Do you love the look of window seats with shelves on both sides or fireplace with cabinets below the windows on each side. Do you like everything balanced or quirky? Or maybe very clean lined?

Here's an idea...do you want a fireplace? If you do...would it have bookcases on each side? Windows on each side? Bookcase on one side...with window on the other? No bookcases or windows, but just the fireplace on a wall with artwork? No fireplace and just a huge TV and DVD storage?

After you figure out your 'style' you still have to make some compromises to get the technology of the 21st century to fit (depending on whether you have modern or old-world tastes).

Whatever you like, think about the light, the views, the way rooms will open to each other, as you plan. It might be a good idea to go to the library and look through "The Not So Big House" and other books, to see how they use the views through rooms, as well as the way spaces relate to each other.

All these things will help you 'see' the house in your head, then on paper, then in real life. Hopefully your image is what you end up with...or maybe even better :)

• Naf_Naf
    9 years ago

If you want your house to have a "Sense of Place", you can narrow the style down quite a bit. Where are you building? I would not want to own a spanish villa in the Hamptons, but it'll be ok in, Palm Beach.

• KatieRenee9090
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yall are so helpful! We are building in rural Louisiana.

The outside for us wasn't too hard-- we wanted all brick, on a slab, as simple lines in the roof as possible, a front porch we could enjoy sitting on. I guess you could call it country, rustic, a little acadian style. We were thinking stained columns and shutters......
    And this is the exact moment I get lost bc I feel like my outside loves get lost when walking inside my dream home.

Inside I see white crown molding, neutral calming tones, a mix of slate tile and wood flooring, leaning towards a darker wood kitchen, gas fireplace, beautiful windows, 10 ft ceilings, custom shower, big kitchen island, etc. I do love built ins- painted ones over stained.I love the sliding barn door and think it could fit great for our dining room. I love exposed brick-- would love to see this in the foyer specifically. I love coffered ceilings (in white though not stained lol) Then I do like stained beams too so

I feel like once I get inside, every room could be completely different and I lose the flow. I will definitely think about what rooms are adjacent too and see how that has to play into it.

• shiltsy
    9 years ago

Katie,

We've struggled with the same issue trying to figure out how to verbally characterize and describe our style. We landed on cottage style but not small and cozy. What you describe above sounded like a mix of craftsman and cottage....

Good luck!

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Rustic, country, acadian...sounds like a style to me :)

It seems you want a mixture of rustic with a bit of romantic. I think the rustic and traditional acadian is easy...the exposed brick, the wood kitchen, slate tile, wood floors. The columns will be a good fit with the crown molding (maybe between the entry and living or dining...great contrast with the exposed brick.

I think you need to find a little more romantic traditional/country (besides those tall windows and moldings) with the white built-ins and maybe some color to go with the wood, slate and brick. Some soft, lovely fabrics and pillows would be a nice way to go. Maybe some dark greens, gold, even a purple/eggplant color? Also think about a bit of black wrought iron, if it works.

I'm no expert in Louisiana style, but it does make me think about a bit of French influence. And that would cover the softer, romantic side that you seem to be looking for to bring some balance to all those harder surfaces.

• KatieRenee9090
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you I have so much to look at now! I am starting to see a pattern finally and a way to maybe make it all work. I'm so glad yall get what I am saying. I love the rustic hard traditional country but you are right lavender-- I want to soften it! You have given me some great ideas! Thank you

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Houzz is the best source at this stage of the design.

This house is n New Orleans

[Traditional Exterior[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2107) by Biloxi Architects & Building Designers RJ Elder Design

Here is a link that might be useful: [Acadian Style Home with wrap-around porch in Alabama[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/acadian-style-home-with-wrap-around-porch-in-alabama-traditional-exterior-birmingham-phvw-vp~76264)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH