Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soonermagic

soonermagic is moved in!!! LOTS of pics!

soonermagic
16 years ago

We've been in for about 3 weeks now and while most of our stuff is unpacked, we're still furniture shopping and tweaking, and we have no window treatments yet. So most of these pics are of empty spaces just before we moved in. Can say that we're loving the house thus far and it exceeds our highest expectations, so the pain of the too-long building process is already diminishing. For those that may not have followed our story, we tore down a house a couple of blocks from the Univ of Okla and built new, but to look as if it's a renovated 1940's era house. One of the very first tear downs here.

Here's the exterior:

Front Door (custom made of knotty alder with custom stain):

Here's the kitchen (custom, site-built cabinets):

{{gwi:1509916}}

A better shot of the island:

{{gwi:1509917}}
Pantry/Hutch:

{{gwi:1509918}}

From kitchen back towards front door, main living space (those are walnut hardwoods):

Our Master Bath (steam shower & funky way-too-expensive bathtub):

Laundry room cubbies:

Landing (with custom bookshelves):

Future Kids Bathroom (delirium granite--green & purple--much more impressive in person):

Linen Closet Hutch (narrow room, so hard to get good angle):

Guest Bath (Red Dragon Granite):

Gameroom:

Tiny backyard, fully landscaped (view from balcony off gameroom):

Detached Garage behind house:

Comments (68)

• beachrat
    16 years ago

I have never bothered to sign in to say "Great job." or "Really like what you have done." but I feel compelled to say the above and more! Your pictures are just utterly fabulous and every detail looks superb, jaw-droppingly wonderful. Wow. Oh and just as an aside, Go Buckeyes.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Need I say more?

About the micro drawer, you're the second person I've heard suggest the manual door. I'm so glad to know this tidbit since this is what we are planning on (micro drawer).

Congratulations, your house is beautiful. Oh wait, I said that already. LOL

• Happykate
    16 years ago

Love it, love it. The white woodwork and dark woods are especially wonderful together . . . The stairs are perfect.

• eventhecatisaboy
    16 years ago

Simply gorgeous! I love it! When you think of home, this is what you want to picture! How lucky and blessed! You deserve to feel proud!

Many blessings and happy memory making to you and yours!

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

oh my goodness! this is the house in my head! right now we're still on paper, but i'm telling you THIS IS MY HOUSE! so now that we've already established your impeccable taste, let's talk details (if you're willing to share): do you have a source for walnut floors, and which grade is that? i think i'm using something called common #2. what did you use on your exterior siding? we're looking into nichiha... what windows did you choose? questions, i have questions! please share the details of your lovely home. and above all enjoy it. you did a wonderful job, congratualtions!

• emilynewhome
    16 years ago

What a 'welcome' and 'comforting' looking home you've created! It's just beautiful!

• dallasbill
    16 years ago

Very nice!

Too weird... we have the same color wide plank flooring, same glass shower enclosure w/ handle and the same faucet you have on the island! You channel good taste very well... ;-)

• persnicketydesign
    16 years ago

Soonermagic...your build has been one of my favorites to watch. There was so much attention paid to the details that the whole house oozes charm & character. I definitely see why your new neighbors love you. :o)

The house is classic, comfortable, and elegant without being stuffy. You did an outstanding job!!! Can you tell I'm smitten?

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm happy to supply whatever details ya'll ask for. So here goes:
    Floors - combination of common #1 and common #2 walnut in random widths of 3, 4, 5 inch planks. No stain, just sanded and poly'ed.
    Exterior Siding is Hardiplank smooth and Hardi shingle (I call it "drunken shingles" but that's certainly not its technical name). Paint is Benjamin Moore in Briarwood. The exterior white trim is real cedar (not hardi) painted to match the windows.
    The windows are all Kolbe Kolbe. All downstairs windows and all windows facing the front of the house are wood on the inside and alum clad on the outside. The handful of other windows upstairs are vinyl. All windows except the kitchen window and the window above the master bath are double hung (love them). The kitchen window is a casement (adore this window) and the window above master bath is a fixed window. There are some questionable reviews on Kolbe on the windows forum, but I'm very pleased with them and they fit our budget.

• cookingpassion
    16 years ago

Lovely home, Soonermagic!! I love the island in the kitchen and your wood floor is absolutely gorgeous!! I miss Oklahoma and my old University and stomping ground :(

Here's wishing a fellow Sooner many years of happy memories.

• amyks
    16 years ago

ponydoc, beachrat, crossing fingers and toes, channeling Woody Hayes, GO BUCKS!!!

Amy

• kelntx
    16 years ago

WOW! I LOVE it! Very charming and you did a wonderful job. I love your hard wood floors and the front door! I can't wait until I am where you are!!!

Congrats!

Kel

• hanibi
    16 years ago

Soonermagic-

Photos of your house evoke feelings of 'HOME' to me.

I love your wall colors. Would you mind sharing the paint color you used in your main living area?

Thank you and congratulations. :-)

Han

• onlygirlsmom
    16 years ago

Wow! It looks great! There are so many ideas that we want for our new house - built in bookcases with a window seat in between, steam shower, black/dark island with white cabinets - although we're still leaning towards our lower cabinets being black, wood floors - we're looking at brazillian walnut.
    Absolutely gorgeous!! great job!

• jeannekay
    16 years ago

As hard as it is to congratulate a Sooner I guess this Cowboy will. :) It looks awesome. And I've been in a nice older house down by the university and yours fits right into what I remember about that home. You all did a wonderful job it's beautiful!

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness, the wait has been well worth it. Your home is just beautiful, Sooner! There is not one thing that I feel should have been done differently! It is spectacular in every way. I love the feeling it evokes... reminds me of a house that Thomas Kinkaid (sp?) would paint... just oozes charm!

I especially like your kitchen. That is one beautiful, but subtle space. It doesn't shout "look at me" but demands to be looked upon, none the less. It's just stunning.

I too wondered if you would share your paint color selection in the main living area (where the front door is located). Love that shade on my monitor, and I'm choosing paint this weekend. :o)

Many happy years in your new, beautiful home. I imagine you will be pinching yourself for sometime to come, waking up in the magical home that you have created.

• nc_sandyfeet
    16 years ago

Beautiful home! It looks so warm and cozy and homey-all of which are my favorite qualities in a good home. Good job!! Enjoy :0)

Sandy

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the positive comments on the house. We truly love it and it does feel like home ... hopefully home for a very long time and hopefully a home that we'll fill with kids (and soon!).

Some of you have asked about the main paint color (in the living and kitchen). It's Sherwin Williams' Pavillion Beige from the new Concepts in Color line. It is the perfect neutral (at least for us with the light in this house). We tried about 10 different neutrals and this was it. I didn't like it on the paint strip and didn't give it to the painter initially, but DH insisted on trying it. I'm glad we did. At first I thought it too dark (when all the white trim was covered up), but the white trim pops beautifully against it and once you fill the house with furniture it simply reads cozy (as many of you have commented!). The white, in case you're interested, is Sherwin Williams alabaster. Used it on all trim and the painted cabinets. As for the color of the stain, I have no idea what the formula is.

• mamabirrd
    16 years ago

I love it! It is so cozy. Very beautiful home with lots of character. Congratulations!

• redlodger
    16 years ago

I second all the wonderful comments about your new home. What I really love is how the outside captures the charm of the neighborhood. I love your garage doors!! Congratulations on all your efforts.

• susanka
    16 years ago

soonermagic, these are the first pictures I've seen of your home, haven't been around much lately. Congratulations! For me it embodies the feeling of home perfectly. Not at all like what we just built, but it's the most comfortable and comforting home I've seen in a while. What a beautiful job you've done.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

soonermagic,

A much delayed post to this thread, but I'm hoping you might see it.... Would you mind sharing where you got the lights above your island and the matching chandelier. I was just looking at your pictures again and noticed them since I'm thinking of kitchen lighting now. I really like them because they have the clear glass (so I assume they give great light) but they are still beautiful.

Thanks so much!
    Jaymie

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jaymie - I did not do matching light fixtures throughout the house. The island pendants and the dining chandlier are not matching fixtures, but do coordinate nicely. The island pendants are from westelm and are ridiculously affordable. They are my favorite low cost item in the whole house. I just checked westelm's website and it appears that they no longer sell those lights. The chandlier is by Hubbardton Forge, it's an oval fixture and I believe the glass was called rain. It's not seeded and it's not perfectly clear. The link below has opal glass, but that's not what we chose. I get a lot of compliments on the chandlier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oval Chandlier

• mcfromct
    16 years ago

STUNNING - that's all I can say. Everything is just stunning! I would live there in a heartbeat. You have really great taste!

• cindylou2006
    16 years ago

soonermagic- I don't know how I missed this post! So beautiful! I really love your choice of siding, it really makes the exterior! Stunning front door too! Great job!

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

soonermagic,

Thanks for the information on lights. They really did look like they coordinated well. Very nice. I'll check out the websites you provided and see what I can find. Thank you! Jaymie

• landp
    16 years ago

Have been following this and others' builds as we travel down this same road. Your project is truly a work of art. One of my favs so far.
    Congrats all around!!
    Merry Christmas.

LaDonna & Paul

• nutherokie_gw
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh! Soonermagic, it's just perfect. I love everything but I'm particularly smitten by your front door and your gorgeous kitchen cabinets. I hope you are enjoying every bit of it!

• ncamy
    16 years ago

I love your house. Although we are not doing a tear down, we are building on an infill lot in a historical area. We have not had the plan drafted yet. We bought the lot this fall and hope to start building next summer. Your house has given me many ideas (and questions!)

1. How do you like having the hardwood floors in your master bath? When I showed my husband your pictures, he said he might like that. Our shower will be recessed off of the toilet area so we could tile just that area and use hardwood everywhere else. Like you, we are going to have a modern "spa-like" tub.

2. I noticed that your walls seem textured. Is that real plaster or is that a drywall treatment? A lot of the builders in our area are doing a knock down treatment on the walls, but I don't like it because it looks just like their ceilings. It's too uniform. I'm kinda interested in a textured wall, but I think I want smooth ceilings.

3. Does your detached garage have upstairs storage? I'm thinking about having permanent stairs to a loft area or else a stand up attic above the garage. I'm just a little concerned that it's going to make our detached garage look a little bigger than all of the others on our alley which will then result in a denial from the historical commission. Your garage looks nice. What are the dimensions of your garage? I'm thinking we will have to go long and narrow, probably 22 x 26 to fit properly on our 0.19 acre lot.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I've only recently joined this forum, so forgive me if some of my questions have already been asked/ answered.

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

NCAmy - Answers to your questions:

1. I love the look of the hardwoods in the master bath. My DH and builder insisted on running the hardwoods into the bath and closet. Neither of them, though, have to clean the floors of course! I'm not concerned about splashing water ruining the floors; we're adults afterall! But, I am concerned about sanitizing the floors. In general, love taking Pinesol to a bathroom and always feel like the bathroom is fresh and clean with that Pinesol smell. Of course, that's not happeningin our master bath. For now, I'm just vacuuming with our wonderful canister vac a few times a week and mopping Method's Good for Wood on the floors every other weekend. Good for Wood makes them shiny, but I doubt it's doing much disinfecting. Another positive about having wood floors, is that the floor is never cold to the touch, as it would have been with a stone or tile floor of some type. As for your modern tub, pick it out *before* framing of the bathroom begins and make sure it will fit your space. My builder arbitrarily decided to give us a larger shower during framing, and the tub I originally picked out wouldn't fit. While I love the one we ended up with, it was absurdly expensive and the only modern tub that I could find that would fit our space.
    2. Thanks for noticing the wall texture! We told our drywaller that we were trying to build a house to look as if it had been there since the 40's. He literally went to the library and researched wall texture used in the 40's. He added sand to mixture and did a medium texture hand trowel on walls and ceiling. I really love it. It is subtly unique. I agree with you that the knock down texture isn't correct for a period-inspired house. On about day 7 of applying the texture by hand, the drywaller commented to me that he has a knock down machine at home that could have completed the task in less than half the time. Oh well! That's not the look I was going for.
    3. We do have attic storage above the garage. The city would not allow us to build an apartment above the garage, but we knew we needed storage. I don't have the garage dimensions on me, but its a tad bit wider than the standard two-car garage and about three feet longer than the standard two-car garage.

Good luck in your build!

• sniffmeister
    16 years ago

GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS!

Can I ask the sq footage and what the footprint is? We have a narrow building footprint (30x50) because of wetland restrictions and are having a hard time finding the "right" home for our narrow space.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I absolutely love your new home!! English cottage is one of my favorite styles. You certainly have been true to the design, right down to the carriage style garage doors!! Your interior choices are just as gorgeous.

Love the flagstone path, too. What's not to love about the exterior, interior, and garden? You certainly must have accomplished your dream. ;o)

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sniff - The sq footage is just over 2800. We have 3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, a study, and a gameroom. The original floorplan had the gameroom as a fourth bedroom, but we removed the closet to make room for pool table. I don't have the floorplan with me at the office and don't recall the footprint. But, it is long and narrow.

• soonerhouse2007
    16 years ago

Your home is perfectly classic and stunning! My husband and I lived in Norman while he attended OU, so I know that your home fits perfectly with the neighborhood. Congratulations on a job WELL DONE!!!

"how 'bout them Sooners?!"

• sonicstef
    16 years ago

Im sure you are sick of hearing this but your home is stunning! Not only is it beautiful today but it has an appeal that is timeless. What an amazing job.

• tudorlover
    16 years ago

Hi one more question, where did you get your foyer light. Love it. Thanks

• Sherrie Lagasse Frisone
    16 years ago

I love your exterior (and interior too!!). Can I ask what products you used. Type of shakes, vinyl (or not) and where did you get your garage doors? I love the way they match....

• Denise Evans
    16 years ago

Really beautiful! I love the front door. Very "story book" and inviting.

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi there!

Most of the light fixtures, including the foyer, came from http://www.schoolhouseelectric.com/.

The shakes and the siding are all Hardi; the trim is all real cedar. We painted the Hardi and the garage door BM Briarwood. I don't recall the mfg of the garage door, but there are a number of companies that carry this type of "carriage style" garage door.

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

I have to ask... The bronze in the book case... Is that Johnny Appleseed? Who is the artist?

Love the house!

Terry

• jeniferrlynne
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness I am so happy I clicked on gardenweb tonight or I would have missed this g-orgeous home. We are getting ready to build in Norman too! You will have to tell me who you used as some of your contractors!!! We are still designing the floorplan but would appreciate any and all advice. Our land is actually off Indian Hills/Broadway, way north on 26 acres.

Anyway, TMI----Love Love Love your house!
    Jen

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jenifer - Our builder was Brent Swift. If you don't have a builder yet, check him out. Email me at tspullin at hotmail and I'll share with you our list of subs, but I wholeheartedly recommend Brent. I love Norman this time of year don't you ... the Redbud trees just about to pop and burst with color.

Terry - That statute is of the Seedsower ... specific to OU ... the fullsize Seedsower stands at one of the main entrances to the university and the Seedsower appears on the University crest. Something about sowing the seeds of knowledge ... not apples.

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

Thanks! Enjoy your beautiful home!

• jeniferrlynne
    16 years ago

Sent you an email, Thanks!

• millican3581
    16 years ago

Your house is STUNNING! How wide is your Kitchen?

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have not actually measured, but the floorplan says the kitchen is 15'4".

• Happykate
    16 years ago

sooner, when did you break ground? It seems that this went together in about nine months, if I remember correctly. (Again, beautiful!)

• soonermagic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

happykate - It was a dreadfully long process, exaberated by the fact that we lived in a hotel for the first six months and housesat for folks we really didn't know very well for the second six months. We began discussions with the builder in August 2006, the original house was torn down in September 2006, we signed the contract with the builder in October 2006. We moved in at the end of October 2007.

Our house will be feature in the local home & garden magazine next month. I'll post pics when the mag hits the stands.

• liza123
    14 years ago

Hi Soonermagic - we are working on a bathroom remodel and are running into the same issue that you had with your tub -- i.e. the only modern tub that we can find to fit our space is the Wet Cube. We like the WET, but it is very pricey. Now that you have made your purchase and lived with the WET would you buy it again? Is it worth it? Is it comfortable? Do you actually use it? Our alternative is to make a much larger steam shower and not have a tub if we decide not to go with the WET. You are the first person who we have found who actually bought the WET, so we would really appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks much - L