Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone done Hardie Board soffits? Did they buckle?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 15, 12 at 23:29

my builder suggested I look at hardie board smooth soffit material, which looks nice online, but he said it's rather thin and could potentially look wavy. Do any of you have experience with this product that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone done Hardie Board soffits? Did they buckle?

We used Hardie soffits and haven't had any issues with them. We moved in last December and the soffits have been up for close to a year now with no warping, buckling, etc.

o

That's good to hear. Are they smooth or perforated? What did you go for ventilation?

o

We have Hardie Soffits that are perforated and ours do not look wavey or warped. They have been up about two months. I love them since they are the color plus prepainted Hardie and we won't have to worry about repainting for 15 years!!

o

Our Hardie soffits are perforated (which provides the ventilation.)

o

do you happen to have a photo of what they look like from the ground? is the perforation very obvious?

o

Not sure if you can see the soffit from this picture very well, but here is one. Perferation is not noticable because only about half the underside is perforated and the rest is smooth.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

o

I work from home - so I'm here. I'll take a close up photo in a moment and post it.

o

thanks, aucorley. the colors on your house are lovely, by the way.
is the perforated part closest to the vertical planes of your house and the outer perimeter smooth?

o

I'm showing 3 photos. One is of the hardie soffit on the gable - which is smooth, no perforations. They don't want ventilation in the gable soffits. The other 2 are the perforated hardie soffits - one is further away and the other is close up.

BTW - you really don't notice the perforations that much.

perforations

close up of how perforations look

Gable - no perforations

o

aucorley,

Are those standard Hardi colors? Looks a lot like what we are planning for, what are the names?

Thanks,

o

No problems with our smooth non perforated Hardi soffits either but they've been in less than a year.

'd think that waviness might be a result of not having adequate support behind them or insufficent nailing.

Hardie has really good directions online for use of their materials. You might want to check out nailing and support recommendations. I'm not sure that this is the version that you're looking at but here's a link to Hardie soffit installation from the Hardie website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardie soffit installation

o

We built 6 years ago and used cement board for the soffits (perforated), facia, and the trim. No wavyness here at all.. I would never do wood again.

o

I have had the perforated ones for over seven years and just repainted them--they've performed great.

o

Thanks for the help and great photos, everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here