Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

At what point do you need an architect to make changes?

mrspete
11 years ago

I've been looking at other floorplans, and I've found one that -- if I change to it -- will need only minimal, minimal changes. Specifically:

At the garage entry, a small closet and a small pantry sit side-by-side. No odd-ball walls would be involved; the two small rooms share a back wall. I'd rather combine them into one larger pantry.

The plan contains an unnecessary 1/2 bath (there's a perfectly good full bath on the hallway, easily available to guests). I'd turn the 1/2 bath into a closet simply as a money saver.

I'd like one more window in the master bedroom. This would be in what is now a plain wall.

In the back bedroom, I'd turn one window into an exterior door. Same spot, just a door instead of a window.

These things "feel" to me like super-small things. If I go with this plan, would I need to have the company draw up changes . . . or could I just say to the builder, do these things? I'm sure that if I ask the company, they'll insist upon doing it themselves. I mean, they're in the business of making money.

I fully accept that if you're making significant changes -- enlarging the family room, switching a bathroom and a closet's position, and especially if you're altering the roofline -- you need the pros to draw it for you. But just where does one draw the line?

Thanks for any experiences or advice.

Comments (4)