Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Should we keep the garage man door?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Hi everyone.
Our architects failed to mark a man door from the attached garage to the side yard on the foundation plans so now we need to pay to have the concrete cut there for the door. In the meantime our desire for a rainscreen has driven our construction costs up. We are considering getting rid of the man door (among other things) to recoup some costs. Does that seem wise? The garage is a two car garage that will have nothing in it but two cars. The only time I can think of that we might really miss the door is if we are refinishing a piece of furniture in the garage or something and really want to create a cross breeze for ventilation. A box fan could maybe take care of that though. The garage opens to the mudroom which also has a door to the side yard.

What would you do?
Thanks!

Comments (12)

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

I got rid of ours for logistical purposes. The good spot for the door made it need a small set of stairs and a cement landing. We ditched it, however our last house had a man door next to the entrance of the house (it was a little weird) but it was nice to get around the cars using that instead of squeezing in between using the garage doors themselves.

• iamskc
    9 years ago

got rid of ours. After thought we realized we didn't really need it and it just offers another way to break into the home if not locked. Or even if locked.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

That is your second vote for a wicket, I think you really need one :-)

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You and your wickets! Ok fine; Except I think the wicket door will probably cost more than putting in the regular man door. Lol

• User
    9 years ago

I love mine but I use it all the time. It opens on to a patio that is behind my house, so I'm in and out of that door several times a day in nice weather.

It sounds like you aren't sure you'll use it. But then again, maybe down the road you too will have a patio out there and then you'll be sad you don't have a door for easy access. :)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I vote "nice but not necessary" for the man door.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

If you want the man door, I recommend getting it now. It will be cheaper and easier now than later unless you are planning to DIY. But personally I am a fan of doors and I've never lived in a house with an attached garage.

Where are you planning to keep tools and garden supplies?

Joking about the wicket but you knew that. I really wanted one but it made no sense in our design.

• lafdr
    9 years ago

My current garage has only the car door and a door to the house. My old garage had a person door in front and back. I used those doors a lot, but I now make do with none.

Bottom line, it is nice to have the door but you will get used to not having one if that is how it turns out. I would not spend $ to add an exterior door to my current garage, but I would use it if it was there.

It is not just the cost of cutting concrete, it is also the exterior door and hardware. (We put a combolock doorknob which was great!)

For under 1000$ I would do it, for more, I am not sure.

lafdr

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Not sure what is involved in cutting the concrete. My only point of reference is that at our old house my then-60-yr-old dad thought we needed a man door in our garage so when I got home from work one day he had put one in by himself. Cost was just for a stock pre-hung exterior door from HD ($150?) and a couple of blades for his saw. Now you have a chance to match you doors and trim, might not be so easy later.

Good luck, you won't go wrong whatever you decide.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

I had to click on the thread just to find out
    what a garage man door was/is!

never heard it referred to like that.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Energy_rater: Honestly I hadn't heard it before either, but that's what my GC calls it so I figured I'd better if I wanted to pretend I knew what I was talking about :-)
    Oaktown: turns out we can do it without cutting the concrete, just need to add a step inside and out. Not sure why my GC thought concrete cutting really necessary, but all's well that ends well. No wicket, though :-) Keep trying, you'll convince somebody!