Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missstaceyh_gw

flickering candle outdoor lights????

missstaceyh
15 years ago

OK-I have seen these really beautiful outdoor lights on several homes and I need to find them. They are antique looking and have a flickering candle look on the inside. What can I search? Where can I find them?

Comments (11)

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

I do love those. I ones I've seen are, as heimert said, an actual gas lamp. Little more complicated, little more expense, therefore they got vetoed on my house. :o(

• piegirltoo
    15 years ago

Go to Rejuvenation (not Restoration Hardware!):

www.rejuvenation.com

They have all kinds of period lighting. Check out the light bulbs in the lighting accessories department. They have flickering bulbs. Maybe a phone call to them would give you some ideas.

Have you asked your question on the lighting forum? Bet someone there could help you.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Also, google for gas lanterns - New Orleans. There is a manufacturer here that makes gorgeous gas lanterns. DH wanted those for our house, but we soon decided that was an expense we could pass on and just go with regular lights.

• missstaceyh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awe shucks! I was hoping they were electric but had the gas look AND were inexpensive. I guess that's why I only see them on monster houses! Why do I have to have such champagne taste? I wonder if I could get a similar look with electric lights and a flicker bulb? I can always dream! Thanks everyone!

• Ron Natalie
    15 years ago

Like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: FLAME FLICKER BULBS

• jojoco
    15 years ago

We have a gas lamp in our front yard. Yes, it is very cool looking, but the downside is it gives off very little functional light (like a distant campfire at night) and is often blown out by the wind.
    It was a requirement of our subdivision, but not a good choice in retrospect.
    Jo

• missstaceyh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jojoco- thanks for the info. I first noticed these in a subdivision in Tenessee, must have been a requirement there too b/c everyone had them. Very cool looking but good to know that they are not real practical. This makes it easier for me to swallow since I can't afford them anyway! You're not from TN are you?:)

• jojoco
    15 years ago

Nope, upstate NY

• Neal Fancourt
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

These ” flicker flame ” bulbs can be placed in certain electric outdoor sconces. They look like gas burning and flicker like the real thing. Fixture needs to have a certain type of glass. One brand is by CopperSmith , the Belmont series.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Pretty sure they figured out over the past twelve years.