Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigkahuna_gw

Posting pictures

bigkahuna
14 years ago

Is it just me or is this forum the most confusing thing ever when trying to post a picture ? I read the instructions that say read other instructions on how to post pictures and it never actually tells you how to post pictures. It simply sends you to other instructions.

Why in such a fantastic forum cant they post a simple link that says here is how you post a picture not a link to instructions and have it easy to find and read. Or have that same link as a link on each box that you respond to another post. I know Im impatient but this is nuts. I read the forums but dont see anything

Ok after that rant anyone care to point me to the directions to actually post /attach photos?

From the help forums it says this...

Some forums, and forum gallery areas, allow images to be uploaded along with forum messages. These forums/galleries are denoted on the alphabetical list of forums on the main forum page and have instructions on how to upload images. If a forum allows direct uploading, it will say so at the top of the forum page. Forums with gallery areas provide links to those areas at the top and bottom of the message list. You can test the upload system by visiting the gallery area of the test forum BUT it never says how to post a picture...that I see Im obviously missing something because you are doing it. Whats worse Is I posted something a long time ago and had trrouble finding it then too. ( Why not have those instructions or a link right there ??????

Please Gardenweb Make this a simpler process !!!!!

Thanks

Comments (11)

• worthy
    14 years ago

If it's your pic, put it on a photo sharing service such as Photobucket, then cut and paste the URL.

If you're posting directly from another site, use care. If it's a commercial one, I figure it's free advertising. Or you can just link.

There are hundreds of sites that show you the basic HTML coding for doing this.

The search function at GW is useless; the "no edit" posting is archaic. But, heck, how much are you paying for this anyway?

Good luck!

• brutuses
    14 years ago

Take a deep breath!! First you need to put your photo's in Photobucket or other free photo service. I only know how to deal with photobucket.

If you get your photo's loaded to photobucket, then move your mouse or whatever it's called over the image you want to post here and as you do a few lines of optons will appear below the picture. Hit the HTML code, then copy, come into your post here, position your curser and hit, paste. When you hit Preview Message, you'll see the image. I hope this was clear enough, but if not, let me know.

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok thanks, They are my photos and I didnt have them on another website as you say Thats why I didnt look at that instruction. They should just say that on the help.. Go to another site and load youtr pics.... Sorry to rant but I hate instructions that are horrible when it can be so simple.

• macv
    14 years ago

Tinypic is even easier. After browsing to get the photo, download it and then just click the top line of code once then paste it into the text area on Gardenweb. No need to do a test, just preview and see if it worked. The only problem is if the photo is too large and needs to be reduced which is also possible on Tinypic.

• brutuses
    14 years ago

worthy, you and I were posting at the same time. I'm glad you did because I'm not sure how clear I am when giving "my" instructions.

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brutus you did fine... I figured it out ,I was just thinking thre was a way to upload them right in GW without having them on another site. They make it seem that way in the wording. Oh well Silly me. Thanks again

• aggiewife
    13 years ago

Why I can't get my computer work done.

• aggiewife
    13 years ago

So sorry. I posted this on the wrong forum.

• tyjy
    13 years ago

bigkahuna! (hey, I'm still wondering what online store you purchased your cable railing parts for the house you designed for a family member ~ as you mentioned in an email to me?!)

But on THIS subject, about a month ago I knew NOTHING, then I learned from the tips on this site!

macv is absolutely right: TinyPic was great and worked the easiest! (don't use Zamzar or something that sounds like it...I think I got a virus from that stinkin' site!)

This was macv's actual suggestion:
    "To Post a photo on the forum: Go to TinyPic.com and BROWSE till you find your photo on your computer. Then resize if necessary and then click on Upload, then click once on the top address line (HTML for Websites)to copy it, then paste it into the "message" box on the forum. (When you Preview the message on the forum you will be able to see the photo size is acceptable - too large makes all posts as wide as your photo and that can force others to read subsequent messages.

• bigkahuna
    Original Author
    13 years ago

tyjy,

I figured it out..this was posted over a year ago.

I just wished for all new peoples benfit GW would spend 20 minutes to explain it better. Their instructions are ( or at least were a joke and confusing at best) they may since have changed it I dont know.

As for the Cable rail system.

I used unicorn stainless for the turnbuckles

http://www.highlandrigging.com/shoppingcart.html?/cgi-bin/unicorn/CatalogMgr.pl?cartID=b-4376&SearchField=partnumber&SearchFor=S0791&template=Htx/s0791-00.htx&displayNumber=25

there is one looks almost the same but without set screw tightening ( uses two nuts) but it is the more expensive one.

cable itself was 1x19 Type 316 Standing Rigging

I think the best price I found was from here

http://www.qualitychainandcable.com/ecom/product/15/11/

• tyjy
    13 years ago

Omg, that's funny. I KNEW you had to KNOW how to post pix since you offered for me! I should have noticed the original post date, sheesh. But, for what it's worth, as someone sorta knew to this forum I TOO found the directions hard to follow, and couldn't post pix till I recently found success with the Tinypic site per macv, so maybe it'll help another newcomer.

PS: THANKS for the cable rail info!
    PSS: I bought the Chief Architect Home Designer Pro 9.0 for my upcoming project and should get it tomorrow.

Best wishes : )