Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eire6678

1st Elevation- opinions? Nantucket/ traditional

eire6678
10 years ago

Hi!! Hopefully you can see picture clearly....the garage is on the left, playroom the section on the right. I would like a barrel roof over porch, but thinks it might compete with oval window. Trying to keep a nantucketish style. Trying to keep clean lines, to keep cost down.

Thoughts, opinions welcome!
Thank you!
Brenna

Comments (2)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Are those dovecote details on *all* the gables? I would pick one end gable (like the garage or the end gable on the higher roof at the garage end of the house) for a detail like that, and skip it on the others. I think the gable details on the side facing gables all look a bit busy if you are going for clean lines. You are also going to be channeling water right over the oval window, which could be problematic.

I would probably do a shed roof on the porch, not a hip.

• Michael
    10 years ago

I would agree with eliminating most or even all of the dovecote details. I'd also eliminate the gable over the front door, as with the oval window and symmetry, it's clear where the entrance is and it doesn't need any more attention. I'd consider making the oval window a bit smaller, and eliminating the dormer over the garage unless there will actually be habitable space there (it doesn't look so). The front door grille should match or complement the windows. Depending on how the plan/other elevations look, I'd consider having the playroom have a shed roof to add more mass and balance the opposite side. And if that wasn't enough, I'd eliminate the eave returns as well! I think most of these will give you cleaner lines and a less expensive build - let the character come from well-chosen materials and simple compositions, not from increased features and details.