Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

Picking doors tomorrow, want some opinions

Aims
9 years ago

Here is the front elevation of our house. Framing starts tomorrow and we need to go in and finalize doors.

We have narrowed it down to a couple of choices of either a craftsman type door or a more rustic door. We are looking at Glasscraft fiberglass doors that would have the little speakeasy on it. The only problem if you want them to do their fancy stained finishes, the cost goes up $500 so we would consider buying it unfinished and then having our painter stain it for us?

Or the regular craftsman door that he quoted us is about $500 less.

What do you think would look the best?

Here is a link that might be useful: Glasscraft Fiberglass Door

This post was edited by aimless07 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 23:39

Comments (5)

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I can only see the one door and it's not personally my style, so I won't comment on that.

However, I don't think you're going to save all that much having it finished by your painter. Maybe labour rates are really low where you are, but I would expect to pay at least $300 for that. There's prep involved, and the staining, and then at least 2 coats of finish. It's a lot more work than the walls.

That said, if you're looking to save money, this is probably a reasonable DIY project. I'm painting my own doors. But for me, it was a savings of $750 (for 2 doors), and I don't need to pay someone else to do it for me.

Another thought, these are fibreglass doors? If you're not a big faux finish type, you probably don't want to try DIYing a stain finish on something that's not wood. And your painter will definitely charge more, because it's a stain look, but it's not actually stain. That's a much complicated process. If you want the wood look the manufacturer is offering, get the stain finish from the manufacturer.

• etr2002
    9 years ago

To follow-up on the post above, we are also going to have wooden doors, and a builder took us to look at fiberglass doors that he had finished-out to look stained but the look was fading fast on the exterior doors - even those under the protection of a porch. The builder we have chosen was adamant that we not choose to finish a fiberglass door in this manner because he explained that with real wooden doors, the stain soaks into the door and has a richer look as well as lasts longer. After what we saw at the other home, we decided to pay more for wooden doors. Just something to consider, but I thought it was something to throw=out for you.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Have you looked at ETO doors? Just a thought. They have great prices.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

If your thinking of ETO doors check their reviews as from everyone I know of they are less than stellar.

• amykath
    9 years ago

millworkman,

I sent you an email.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH