Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best size bathtub for my two kids to share? 5' too small?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 27, 11 at 21:15

Our two kids (now 4 and 2) will have a jack and jill bathroom and the tub/shower will be in a separate space so they have privacy. Tomorrow we are choosing the bathtub and hardware for their bathroom and I'm thinking a 5' long bathtub is too short. I know they won't be bathing together forever, but for the next few years this might be too short. They could come into our bathroom to bathe, but that might be a nuisance. We plan to just get a basic one piece tub and do white subway tile up the wall for the shower part. Is there any way to make this look nice and not cheap/pre-fab? thanks for any comments.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best size bathtub for my two kids to share? 5' too small?

By the time they will be too big to fit 2 in a tub, they will be too old to want to share. A standard tub should work just fine.

o

I completely agree with bethohio3. My boys are 4 years apart, so didn't really ever take a bath together, but they both went to showers by about age 5. The oldest just wanted to (and now he's 11 and I can never get him out of the shower!), and the youngest has to do whatever my oldest does.

o

Ditto. My youngest still takes a bath most of the time at 6 but the other two were showering at 5.

I think your days of bathing together are fairly numbered, and it won't be long before they will be too old to want to share. I think 5' is fine.

o

If you want a larger tub, put it in the master. You're already at the age where they will consider it "icky" to be in the same room with each other, much less bathe with each other.

o

Even my girls (who are generally more social than boys anyhow), age 6 and 3 (and off the growth charts) will fit in our 5 foot tub for bathing. And, I've heard more than a few times from my 6 yr old she wants to shower, so I know her bathing days are numbered. (I just don't trust she'll get all the shampoo out of her long hair in the shower; again a concern that isn't for boys.) 5' is fine.

o

Ha Ha!! I just bathed my three kids - ages 1, 4, & 6 all at once in a 5' tub. No one has lots of room, but they all fit and they think it is awesome. I know I will not get to do that for much longer, so I enjoy their little parts tangling up with each other in the tub as long as I can. There is plenty of room for two of them - even the 4 and 6 yo. I am planning a jack and jill for my girls, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here