Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adam_graham7913647

Perfect Little House Relative cost

Adam Graham
9 years ago

Hi all,

What a great community. Everything has me excited to build a house and start making our own decisions. I wanted to see if anyone would be kind enough to take a look at a plan and give me an idea of the overall complexity/cost. I have the usual ideas of what contributes to that but everyone knows that it can be a daunting thing to think about paying for stock plans then finding that something is a little ambitious for ones budget or area. My wife and I like the PLH designs and, space wise, this is the best I've seen for us. I'd be excited for it but if there are gotchas to the design, it'd be easier to look elsewhere now than to get our hearts broken. I also wonder if there is or could be a basement entrance inside that is noted in the design or else reserved in case one wanted indoor basement access. Perhaps someone more skilled at plans would know what to look for.

http://www.perfectlittlehouse.com/pdfs/whitehall.pdf

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Stairs to a basement could be tucked under the stairs going up on this plan. You'd lose that closet in the dining area.

It does seem like a good little house. One thing that sticks out as a "must change" is the location of the cooktop. Also, the showers are too small for my tastes.

Do you see yourself sleeping on the main level, or up? I ask because currently the laundry is up only. If you were going to build this as a retirement place, you'd want to find a place to have one "down" too. That could be accomplished with some ease, but maybe some additional square footage too.

It sure is cute!

• Adam Graham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi kirkhall,

I was thinking under the stairs as well. It almost seems like they left it flexible that way. It would be kind of quaint like older Victorian homes, and we could probably do that nice paneled look and the door would almost fade into the woodwork.

I did notice that the only tub, I believe, is in the master. So with little ones it'd be a bit of a hike for bath time. But of course those times pass.

Good question on first floor master or no. I did notice that the downstairs bedroom is a good size and could almost be a master but we'd definitely use it for an office or guest room for now. Not that you'd know offhand, but I still have 35-40 years ahead of me before retirement so I'm not sure at all if this is a forever home type situation.

I'm not a huge fan of the way that they have styled the sample photos. However, I do like the way they have done the Cove model, I believe, and that appears to simply be this same plan minus the downstairs bedroom so I think the comparison is apt in terms of what it could look like.

Thanks for the feedback!

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I think stacking the stairs would be fine. I live in a coat closet cold climate and if you do too, I would be tempted to see if you could shuffle the stairs to the left three or four feet on the plan to make room for a coat closet at the front door. If you add a basement, you won't need the utility closet in the dining room (left closet) and the desk upstairs doesn't look too practical so there should be room to adjust the stairs.

• Adam Graham
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good suggestions. Perhaps I could just place an extended landing halfway up the stairs where the door/closets would be under that would be a nice place for another window and a nice console table or something. Thanks for the input!

I wonder if anyone has any feedback on the complexity/cost aspect. I seem to think that, compared with rooflines, shapes, etc of some plans that show up here, by comparison, this seems to be on the lower end of complexity, at least as is. But that is my dangerously enough informed impression.

• zone4newby
    9 years ago

I think it seems like it would be pretty reasonable to built. The priciest option I see are all the dormers in the roof. I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to build a full size upstairs with a standard roof, or to stick with the knee walls and dormers.

The other thing to remember is that porches aren't free, even if they are cheaper than finished interior space.

One unrelated piece of feedback: do you watch TV? You might want to think about where you would put it-- the only place I'm seeing is above the fireplace, which not everyone likes to do. Also, I'd take the kitchen to the kitchen forum here. As it is in the drawing, there's almost no workspace.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

i would also be concerned about workspace in the kitchen i like the design of the kitchen its just short on counterspace and maybe storage

• rwiegand
    9 years ago

Looks like none of the plumbing is stacked, so an expensive plumbing rough-in. (I'd want to spend some serious time thinking about the upstairs room arrangement; it doesn't look very efficient overall and the wall-to-wall closets don't really match the style of the house.) Would definitely want to put cooktop on an outer wall, that island will be your primary working surface in the kitchen. If you don't need the downstairs BR that would be a good place to put the TV, well away from the living space.

• User
    9 years ago

It helps to provide a link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• PRO
    Surroundings Design Inc.
    last year

Hey Adam!  Did you end up going with these plans?  Where did you build?  We're thinking of something similar and I'd love to hear about your experience.