Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
embemis_gw

Elevation Advice Please!

embemis
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,
We are building our first home lakefront in the south and would love advice on our floor plan and elevation. I have followed the forum for a while and am just figuring out how to post pictures - so far only one at a time though...

I was disappointed with our elevation when it was presented to us, but couldn't quite put my finger on what I didn't like....first thing to go is the long roof over the carport. You may be able to see where I drew in a line to match the pitch of the roof on the house and will maybe turn the roof on carport to an A with a walkway connecting?

Also considering spacing windows evenly - I like the look of shutters in between, and am not crazy about the rounded window in the middle on second floor.

We are planning on using hardi-plank and a metal roof.

Also thinking about changing hipped roof to A frame.

Front porch is going to be wider - at least 8 ft (currently drawn as 6)

The side elevation needs windows added - the dining room will have 2 added and the bedroom above will most likely have the same - I feel like that big wall is too blank.

I think overall I just want to add more character. Thank you in advance for your help! Will post the rear elevation and floor plans also.

This post was edited by embemis on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 21:18

Comments (9)

• embemis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the rear elevation. Note that the great room is 2 story - open to suggestions for upper windows...Also would like to be able to change pitch of roof on screened porch to allow the bedroom above to have an additional window since it is facing lake. Thanks again!

• embemis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any suggestions? Really value your opinions.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Hipped roofed Colonial Revival houses with full width covered porches were a very popular house style from 1890 to 1915 and are often emulated today.

This one seems to have a steeper than usual porch roof and short second floor height so the upper floor windows and the center Palladian window are crowded. Perhaps additional second story height would allow taller windows and a wider and taller Palladian window.

A Palladian window is traditionally used as a strong dominant central feature above the entrance door. It should not be used if it is not large enough to fulfill that role.

Space the paired windows 6" or more apart so they look more traditional instead of modern and on a tight budget. I would use a Colonial Revival door instead of the Victorian one shown.

The porch supports appear to be simple posts. They should be "columns", in other words they should have a clearly identifiable base at the bottom, a round or square middle portion and a capital at the top. They don't have to be classical Greek or Roman but that would help.

The corner boards should be a bit wider and the frieze board under the cornice should be taller. The cornice might protrude a bit more too. The shutters should be wider or omitted.

I can't figure out why the garage-like wing doesn't show up on the right side elevation. If it is not attached to the house it should not appear in the front elevation.

Why is the house so high off the ground? Why so few windows on that side of the house?

• embemis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Renovator8,

Thank you SO much for taking the time to look over this and make suggestions - they have been VERY helpful. I agree that the porch roof is too steep (it was drawn with only a 6 ft wide porch and I have requested 8-10 ft - hopefully that will draw that roofline out some). Our first floor has 10 ft ceilings and second has 9 ft. Do you think it will look less crowded when the porch roof is fixed?

Completely agree about the Palladian window - and plan on using a Colonial Revival door as well. Basically agree and needed to hear all of your suggestions!

The house shouldn't be that high off the ground - will have a walkout basement on the back side.

I hate that it is missing windows on the side. I have attached the floor plan (rough draft) and you may see where I scratched in some windows in the dining room (not to scale at all) The architect was leaving a full wall for furniture placement in the dining room, but I prefer natural light. How do you typically space windows? The wall is 14 ft and I would love to have 5 or so feet in between for a buffet but would that be awkward?

Will also be adding windows to the bedroom above.

PS - Kitchen is a mess on this draft - meeting with a designer next week to help with it!

Thank you again!

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

I guess it depends on your goal.
    I would say this is a common modern/country interpretation of a traditional design.

If you want it to look more traditional I would separate the double windows so that the shutters look right. Raise the first floor window height a foot use classical porch detailing and a wider and more classical front door/palladian window design.

If that is the direction you want to go than a book called 'Get Your House Right' may be helpful.

• embemis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you ChrisStewart! Ordered the book today. Definitely separating the double windows and expanding the door area...Appreciate your help!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Window were separated in colonial era houses but later in the Colonial Revival era they were often paired. More elaborate Classical and Renaissance design elements like Palladian windows were also popular.

If you want to see how the colonial era designs were creatively modified around the turn of the 19th century, get a book about the Colonial Revival style. Googling that style gets you some strange and inappropriate houses but nonetheless many useful ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: a book I like

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I know this isn't what you came here to ask about, but have you considered posting your kitchen plan to the kitchen forum?
    Your kitchen could be so much better. The input from the TKO's on the kitchen forum would be invaluable.

I was just looking at your plan, and I'm at a loss to figure out what that interior room is off the MB, situated between the office and the great room. Is that a safe room?

• embemis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ renovator8 - Thanks for the book suggestion...looks great, ordered it today. Thinking about configuring the "car-port" area to be more like the one on the cover...

@ mlweaving_Marji - I LOVE the kitchen forum and yes, I am planning on posting there to see advice on the layout as the current one is horrible! I met with a kitchen designer yesterday and will be posting once I get some plans back from her. Thank you so much for taking a look. The room between the office and great room is my closet, the other closet would be my husbands. Open to creative suggestions though!