Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drywall corners

Posted by phisch (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 9, 10 at 21:07

We are getting close to the point in our new construction where the drywall will soon be going up. We have to make a decision on whether to go with rounded or square corners on the drywall. I know this is a matter of personal taste, but I was wondering what the current trend is and what most people are doing. Any opinions would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drywall corners

You need to think your choice of paint colors especially if you have an open living area (something I didn't do!) I went with the bullnose (rounded) corners and now I wish I hadn't. I have a open living area between the dining room, living room, kitchen & breakfast area. I chose SW Sundried Tomato for my dining and SW Mannered Gold for the LR, SW Restrained Gold for the kitchen. The ceilings are all SW Blonde. With the bullnose corners, I think it's really going to look strange breaking the color especially between the LR & DR. I guess it you plan a single color throughout, it wouldn't matter. Good Luck!

o

i think its also very region specific. I'm in NY, i haven't seen a bullnose corner, square is pretty much universal here.

same thing with drywall finishes. Smooth is pretty much standard here. cheaper houses will have some texture on the ceiling swirls or something, but the walls are smooth.

o

Is there a significant cost to adding the rounded corners to drywalls?

o

I like the look of rounded corners, but the cost of $40 per corner made it not really worth the cost to us.

o

I like the rounded corners, but I'm not crazy about most of the molding solutions used. Usually a double miter is employed, and sometimes, just a square corner. I found a place that makes custom corner moldings. You send a sample of your molding, and give them the radius and wood species, and they make matching corners to match, wrapping smoothly around the corner. cornerblockstore.com

o

Besides aesthetics, curved corners have many other advantages. They can significantly reduce the likelihood of chips and dings, saving future maintenance tasks.
Inside corner curves can eliminate cleaning deadspots. Outside corner curves can help ease traffic flow.
Depending on the product chosen they can improve corner insulation (even new homes often have cold spots in the corners due to the difficulty of effectively insulating corner stud)

Here is a link that might be useful: Curved drywall corners

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here