Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peytonrose1015

Need design advice

ILoveRed
10 years ago

This old office is being converted into office space for DHs business. It is mostly open with a conference room, kitchen, front office, 2 bathrooms, and this giant ramp that we were forced to put in the back from the back door.

There are 2 private offices. The one in the back has 2 windows. The one in this picture has no windows (too late for windows, I'm not cutting into the brick outside).

So dh had the contractor put in this giant "window" between the conference room and the office. Drywall starts next week.

So here is my question. There will be glass in this window, but how should I finish or frame the "window"? Is this ridiculously huge? Should it be smaller?

This hole in the wall is really beginning to feel like a mistake.

Comments (15)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

A layout would be helpful. I don't think the big window is a mistake, depending on how often the conference room is used. If it's used for conferences all the time, then you might as well just close it in for the sake of privacy and sound reduction. I'm assuming a reasonably fat fixed single pane of glass ($$$). You might want to make it smaller to save some money....pricing out the glass may help you decide on the size. Venetian blinds on the big window would allow for natural light and privacy. Finishing the window would depend on the look of the entire office...is it plain office modern? Or will it be more "lawyerly" with wood work and bookcases and such?

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't have the blueprint, but I can describe it. I'm ashamed to admit we had an architect help us with outside, but not the inside. Lesson learned.

It is a long, rectangular building with just a front and back door (narrow and deep). The front office area has huge south windows (lots of light). As you walk back to the area you are looking at, there are more windows on the right that you can't see.

That's why dh had the idea to cut the hole in the private office to let that light into the office.

Very few employees are here at any given time, although we were required to put in 2 bathrooms anyway. The conference room will be empty most of the time. We use it monthly for training and food service sanitation classes. So the office with the ghastly hole will mostly be private.

I thought I could put some kind of window covering on the inside (the office side).

But should I make the window smaller now while I can?

Should I put window trim around it or just drywall the frame?

Does that help Annie? TIA

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

Well I think that it is workable and it does at least bring in some natural light and let's him keep an eye on the main space.

One large piece of glass and aluminum frame will look contemporary/modern/plain and may make the office space to visible. Breaking it up into smaller sections would give it some detail. Using some sort of obscure glass would make the office less visible.

There would be an endless variety of ways to make it decorative. It just depends on your budget and what style you are looking for and how it needs to function.

This post was edited by ChrisStewart on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 11:02

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Hmmm...well if the front room is facing south, would it be better to add the window open to the front office instead of the conference room? It would give the office more daylight. It might be easier if no one is at the front desk for someone in the inner office to see if someone's at the door too. I think it would be less odd to have a window facing front than into a conference room too.

I would do some investigation about windows and glass before making a decision like that as it could be very expensive. I'd go to a glass store and see what they can offer. Depending on what they offer, it will help you decide how to finish it. Most offices are just finished dry wall. If you can set the window to one side, then you may want to set it on a wood or stone or formica sill that can be finished differently and used as a shelf for the office with plants or whatever.

You could also do plain glass and add a privacy film.
    {{gwi:1508429}}

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like it! I'd frame it in and even add curtains or blinds on his side, depending on the decor. Why not treat it like a window...and maybe add some mirror behind any display shelves, to bounce around more light?

Have you noticed in shows like The Closer, that they have vertical blinds on all the long windows, which open into other rooms. It's nice to have the added light and not be so closed off.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris, I like the look of the glass divided into sections. Thanks for showing that. I'm definitely not going for a commercial look. I'm using a Mannington plank on the floor (slab) that looks like medium/dark hardwood and the windows, door trim, base and doors are painted white. The kitchen is a Brookhaven that I got at a business that was going out of business and it was a steal. painted wood.

Chris--Would you mind doing the trim around the window in white for me so I can see what it looks like? Thanks so much.

Annie. I didn't explain myself very well. The conference room is South, so the window is getting the south light. I like the partially obscured glass. Not so much the shelf idea. I will get down to the glass place tomorrow as you suggested. Thanks for the ideas.

LL- I haven't seen The Closer, but I will google it and see if I can find the pics. It sounds like you think I should frame it out with my window trim? Is that right? Thanks.

• ChrisStewart
    10 years ago

here ya go

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

So sorry I misunderstood the layout.

On The Closer, it looks like they just use vertical blinds to add privacy to interior office windows...which is very common in office buildings.

• Naf_Naf
    10 years ago

This is not huge. It is perfect! You can use trim - or not, if you use a contrasting frame color. I emailed you a video and a picture.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Martha--I got your pics and video and they were very helpful. I took my iPad to the glass place today to show them what you sent me and we are doing something similar to what you have. Since we are putting new windows in the building the frame of this window will be the same color as the new windows...much like the picture that Annie posted above. Thank you for being so helpful.

Thanks Annie. I like it! And the blinds.

Thanks Chris for doing the white trim for me. If I had not seen the image it would have been hard to rule it out.

Now on to the next decision....toilets :-)

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

There is something called Eglass or Smartglass. With the flip of a switch you can go from clear to frosted. I don't know what your budget is -- it isn't cheap.

• ILoveRed
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the picture Annie. Looks like it might be a medical office. Might be more budget friendly.

Night owl--when I googled the glass you referred to, all I found was something describing x-box games. Generous enough budget, but I am trying to come in under a certain amount for sure.... Thanks. PS I am also an RN, though not a night owl :-)

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

you could use bifold wood shutters for a traditional look.

http://www.southernaccentshutters.com/images/gallery/bifold-002.jpg

http://www.shutterclassic.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/SGD_LLRR.gif

behind the shutters you could have a single pane of glass that fits in the square cutout. that would be much cheaper than buying actual windows to fit the space.

the employee could keep the shutters closed/latched but raise the little center bar so that the louvers are opened to let light in.

• User
    10 years ago

If the goal is to relieve the sense of enclosure while maintaining the sense of the wall plane, a plain piece of glass with louver drapes is not an effective solution.

A single glazed picture window of multiple panes might work and horizontal blinds or operable slat shutters might allow a range of intermediate conditions.