Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovecookie

Please help identify the style of two houses

ILoveCookie
10 years ago

I love the interior (and exterior) of the following two houses I found on Houzz. I'd like to know what style they are. Could you please help me identify it? Thank you!

First house: The Gatehouse

Traditional Exterior by Buffalo Architects & Designers Murphy & Co. Design

Second house: Capitol Hill Historical Restoration

(The 2nd house doesn't have a photo of the exterior.)

Traditional Kitchen by Washington General Contractors Superior Home Services Inc

Comments (8)

• User
    10 years ago

Architectural styles are generally the product of specific locations, time periods and cultures so a simple rustic stone building would not qualify but if you just want to give it a name I would say its a rustic cottage influenced by Post Medieval English structures, Cotswold cottages and French farm buildings.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Agree with Reno; a cottage is a cottage is a cottage. No one can identify the architectural style of a building by looking at a small interior view, especially when it's been remodeled as this one clearly has.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

The second one, based upon its location, the general scale of the interior, and the word "restoration" in the title--which indicates that some of the details are original and the new work is based upon the period--is a late Victorian of some sort, but of what style within that category, it's hard to say.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

The first one is a vernacular form called Tri-Gable Ell, which describes the plan shape and roof configuration. This example was rendered in what looks like ashlar limestone with an unmistakably american patterned slate roof. The grouped windows point to an early 20th century period.
    The kitchen looks like someone's sincere attempt circa 1980's at a Victorian-themed space.
    Casey

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

It's much newer work than that if you track it down and look at the builder's site. It's a turn of the century house in D.C.s Capitol Hill district and it looks like the house has been renovated/restored over various periods, but the kitchen has lighting, an integrated dishwasher, and some other features not available much before 2000. The stove is clearly 1980s-90s, maybe they just really like how it cooks. Some of the other stuff would have been nearly impossible to source 30 years ago, so it has to be newer.
    The bathroom has tile from Tile-Source, which is English Victorian reproduction tile mixed in with some obviously American-style marble tile, which could be from an earlier rehab, but the bath also has 2000s elements.

Some of the woodwork is obviously stripped and is original.

In all likelihood the house was a mess inside at one point and there is a combination of original, recreation, loosely adapted, and modern mixed together.

• User
    10 years ago

High Dollar Rustic and Higher Dollar Remodeled Undifferentiated Historic.

• ILoveCookie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone! I am learning a little bit from you every day. :)

• User
    10 years ago

It is helpful to recognize the difference between historic architectural styles, construction types and building uses. A building can have all of these characteristics but often they only have one or two.

For instance, a farm house is a building use type that varies regionally in style but it can also be of an architectural style like Greek Revival.

Adding to the confusion is the common use by realtors of a limited number of house descriptions that lump together many kinds of house characteristics as "styles".

So when using the term "style" it is helpful to distinguish what aspect of a house is being discussed.