Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
building_a_house_gw

Thoughts on how to improve this master bathroom

building_a_house
11 years ago

This is the master bathroom as designed for my new house. What are your thoughts? How could it be improved? Any thoughts on how to "break up" the 11'-7" vanity/counter? Or do you like the long vanity?

Comments (7)

• okpokesfan
    11 years ago

I like the long vanity and would put 12-15" deep storage shelving (with doors if you choose) on it for more storage. Houzz.com has lots of example pics. Nice setup I think!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Our MBath is 21' x 8'. I believe the cabinet is 12' long. The center section comes out and has a cabinet sitting on top. We do not have a linen closet in the room - extra towels go in bottom drawer (bottom two are very deep) and any extra/all daily used items go in top drawer and the cabinet.

I didn't want sconces - we used three cans in this area, plus a small three light chandelier in entry "hallway" from MBR thru bathroom to closet. I had the cabinet installer cut the bases off all bathroom cabinets and ordered feet. He ordered extra paint and glaze to finish the feet on site. I had the mirrors made to my specs at a local framing shop.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

I have 3 suggestions on the vanity--the first one is what allison0704 posted with or without the bottom bumpout. Another is to do a linen tower on both ends of the vanity for towels, toiletries, etc. A third thought is to make the center portion a makeup area with a lowered counter and a stool. Here's a couple pics for inspiration:

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We used the center for storage in ours as I already have a vanity area in the bedroom nook.

The lowered vanity area is a good option too.

[Contemporary Bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by Sacramento Interior Designer Kerrie L. Kelly

But I would suggest rethinking no sconces...the overhead lights will cast an unpleasant shadow on your face and when you lean over, you will be shadowing your own sink. Some kind of wall hung fixture in front of you will create better lighting for you.

• kfhl
    11 years ago

It is hard to say without if knowing your finishes and how bright the room will be. If the finishes are dark, you may be in danger of overwhelming the space if you add tower storage. They will also add to the cabinet cost, which may or may not be a concern. Do you need more storage? If not, the center lowered vanity might be a nice way to keep the room lighter visually and keep the budget down. It would also be a great place to tuck a large basket for towels or even just a pretty trash can - if you don't typically use it for a makeup vanity.

• building_a_house
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fantastic ideas. Keep 'em coming!

• chicagoans
    11 years ago

Ours isn't quite that long but I love the long counter. We minimized the sink cabinets and maximized the drawers because we find drawers to be so much handier than digging around in regular cabinets. (We have a linen cabinet in the room too, and a storage bench.)

If I had found GW and houzz before our renovation, I would have done framed mirrors over the sinks to break up the long expanse.

Unfortunately Webshots must be having a bad hair day because it's only giving me the code for a tiny pic, but in case it helps you can click on it to see it bigger...

{{gwi:1508054}}